Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2014, 07:06 AM

15,631 posts, read 10,386,562 times

Advertisements

The officer was clearly in the wrong, no doubt, to shoot this man. Hopefully, this officer will be removed from the police force forever and prosecuted for his crime of shooting the motorist for no reason. This officer's behavior and lack of judgement showed he is a danger to the public.

Old 09-26-2014, 07:10 AM

6,897 posts, read 4,751,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet Jones View Post
Did you actually watch the video? The guy was pulling up to a service station. He was already getting out of the car. If this was a traffic stop along the street I would have been a little more understanding, but this was some guy apparently stopping for gas. The stop itself shouldn't have happened, let alone the reaction from the cop.
Why shouldn't the stop have happened, the "victim" violated the seatbelt law and the cop noticed, if he noticed the cops lights, then he should have stayed in his car and kept his hands in a visible position, it is just common sense. Yes he was out of the car, but when he went for his license/wallet, he turned quickly around with what looks I assume is his wallet, I think the cop perceived it as something else, possibly a gun.

Old 09-26-2014, 07:20 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,705,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider275452 View Post
Why shouldn't the stop have happened, the "victim" violated the seatbelt law and the cop noticed, if he noticed the cops lights, then he should have stayed in his car and kept his hands in a visible position, it is just common sense. Yes he was out of the car, but when he went for his license/wallet, he turned quickly around with what looks I assume is his wallet, I think the cop perceived it as something else, possibly a gun.
The seat belt law is often just used as a pretext to stop drivers that may fit a "profile". I used to get stopped for things like having a necklace hanging from my rear view mirror, having items (small items) in my back dashboard, rolling stops....etc. Obviously I was being profiled because I see people ALL THE TIME violating these (maybe not the rolling stop) supposed laws and passing by the police.

Old 09-26-2014, 07:25 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,340,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
The seat belt law is often just used as a pretext to stop drivers that may fit a "profile". I used to get stopped for things like having a necklace hanging from my rear view mirror, having items (small items) in my back dashboard, rolling stops....etc. Obviously I was being profiled because I see people ALL THE TIME violating these (maybe not the rolling stop) supposed laws and passing by the police.
I get profiled too....

All I can do is get over it.

Old 09-26-2014, 07:29 AM

6,897 posts, read 4,751,121 times
Quote:
It doesn't surprise me if they were profiling, my kids used to get profiled all the time and they are white. I also have been pulled over for stupid stuff and never thought anything of it, until I became an adult and realized what they were doing.

Old 09-26-2014, 07:31 AM

939 posts, read 795,301 times
Okay, how many of you cop lovers are going to defend this guy? Wake up America, cops are no better quality people than anyone else, and on the average- worse than many. I'll be amazed if this guy gets more than a slap on the wrist. The uniform is the only difference between many inmates and cops.

Old 09-26-2014, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
Similar happened here in Miami a few years ago. Rookie cop shot the fellow dead. The cop was eventually fired. Small morsel of comfort for the dead man's family.

I wonder if the Union rep. will protect the cop.
Stop wondering- you know he will.

Old 09-26-2014, 07:32 AM

19,836 posts, read 12,096,528 times
Quote:
I have been stopped more than once for not wearing a seat belt (yes, I know it is pretty stupid of me) as well as for rolling stops. Never did I jump to conclusions that I was "profiled".

Old 09-26-2014, 07:33 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,705,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider275452 View Post
It doesn't surprise me if they were profiling, my kids used to get profiled all the time and they are white. I also have been pulled over for stupid stuff and never thought anything of it, until I became an adult and realized what they were doing.
I doubt if it is the the same degree or kind of profiling that takes place against black males. On one hand a lot of white folks are hell bent to rationalize police behavior by noting statistics about black crime. Then on the other hand some white folks try to act like they are getting the same treatment from the police as blacks are.......

Old 09-26-2014, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miker2069 View Post
If there was no video footage it would have been "self-defense", administrative paid leave, and he would have been defended by the police department.
Very correct- people on the side of the law- cops, detectives, DA's, and Judges back each other up NO MATTER WHAT_ NEVER, EVER ADMIT WRONGDOING OR TAKE ANY RESPONSIBILITY!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies