Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2014, 07:39 PM

1,199 posts, read 734,559 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by irspow View Post
Nothing will change regardless of whatever are on those tapes. The Fed gives the orders, not "our" government puppets. The Fed will always see to it that they and their friends are omnipotent in the land that they own.
I just listened to the hour long interview on This American Life. I seriously felt like throwing my phone against the wall in utter disgust.

The sad part is that people will live on and be worried about Monday night football and the Kardashian and not give one hoot about this, something that is on par in my opinion with snowdens revelations on prism, if not even more important.

Give a man a gun and he will rob the bank. Give a man a bank and he can rob the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2014, 07:45 PM

4,783 posts, read 3,741,829 times
"Give a man a gun and he will rob the bank. Give a man a bank and he can rob the world."

^^^ That, I've never heard, but it is great

“Let me issue and control a nation's money and I care not who writes the laws.”

And there are now 188 countries completely under the control of the Red Shields and friends...

Old 09-28-2014, 08:40 PM

2,238 posts, read 1,443,681 times
duplicate thread :

investigating the fed

And i posted the article where sherrod Brown and Elizabeth warren are seeking an investigation into this.

Oh and uh who are the people said money doesn't influence people ? If money does not influence people than how exactly is this even allowed to be ?

Old 09-28-2014, 10:24 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,787,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stizzel View Post
I just listened to the hour long interview on This American Life. I seriously felt like throwing my phone against the wall in utter disgust.

The sad part is that people will live on and be worried about Monday night football and the Kardashian and not give one hoot about this, something that is on par in my opinion with snowdens revelations on prism, if not even more important.

Give a man a gun and he will rob the bank. Give a man a bank and he can rob the world.
Check this out

Now you can throw your computer against the wall as well.

Old 09-29-2014, 05:01 AM

13,242 posts, read 4,924,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDusr View Post
Repealing GS was a small part of all the market changes that occurred. There were actually an enormous amount that occurred under Clinton Admin. This allowed the off-shoring and leveraging on a massive scale.

Quite the laundry list.
Essentially a little over 1300 TNCs control 80%...
I agree, the final repeal of GS was 'icing on the cake.' One of the biggest problems in the present day, imho, is the systemic risks involved. & the obtuse bipartisan bickering amounts to ‘fiddling while Rome is burning'. Refusing to acknowledge the still existent, & now global, systemic risks is a problem (bigtime).

These things, including attempts to repeal GS, have been going on since GS was first enacted after the Great Depression in the 1930s. Here's the timeline highlighting just some of the circumstances:

1970s - Banks were too small to create mega profits for themselves.

1980s - Serious deregulation of banks began. This was in accordance to the ubiquitous ‘Trickledown’ Philosophy/Creed of the decade. In addition, deregulation introduced the concept of ‘moral hazard’ to the lexicon thereby enabling the S&Ls to create mega profits (for themselves). Criminal prosecutions resulted for the more flagrant abuses.

•The Garn-St Germain Depository Institutions Act of 1982 enacted.
•November, 1988 - George Bush elected President. S&L problem not part of election debate.

1989 - President Bush introduces S&L bailout plan in February:
• Savings & Loan Crisis #1 the largest taxpayer bailout of banks ever (including being larger than the most recent bailout).

1990s - Even though deregulating banks was a prime factor in the S&L Crisis, the FIRE sector convinces (cons) everyone, including Democrats, Republicans & basically all American people that even more deregulation was required. Various ‘making offers no one seemed able to refuse.’

•The Savings and Loan crisis of the 1980s saw more than 1,000 S&Ls collapse, costing the U.S. government more than $100 billion.

1999 The Gramm–Leach–Bliley Act (GLB), also known as the Financial Services Modernization Act of 1999 effectively repeals Glass Steagall (put into place after investigation & analysis of factors leading to Great Depression of 1930s)

•The Commodity Futures Modernization Act - The law that empowered the (still unregulated) derivatives market & paved the way for banks to become more aggressive about investing in mortgages. Oddly, folks still speak about excessive regulation.

Quote:
The Commodity Futures Modernization Act of 2000 (CFMA) is United States federal legislation that clarified most over-the-counter derivatives (“OTC derivatives”) transactions between “sophisticated parties” would not be regulated as “futures” under the Commodity Exchange Act (CEA) or as “securities” under the federal securities laws. Instead, the major dealers of those products (banks and securities firms) would continue to have their dealings in OTC derivatives supervised by their federal regulators under general “safety and soundness” standards. “Functional regulation” of derivatives products by the Commodity Futures Trading Commission (CFTC) was rejected for continued “entity-based supervision of OTC derivatives dealers.”[1] Section 2(g) of the CEA is also sometimes called the “Enron Loophole”.
2000s - Banks (by the marriage of various components of the FIRE sector) again become too big to fail, too big to manage risk, too big to bailout. All in all = systemic risks galore.

Conversely, banks have also became too international to allow to fail (that is, because many of the ‘too big sort’ are now Global, that is, all of the International player Countries would have to be able to agree to the conditions of ‘allowing to fail’ = not bloody likely).

2008 up to present – Well, you folks know what happened in more recent times, right?

& Present Day Banks are still too big. Too big to care in addition to still being too big:
• To fail
• To manage risk
• To bailout
• Too allow to fail

Apparently, in the present day, there’s a good proportion of American People who are still:
• Too much in denial
• Too entranced/entertained by the bipartisan bickering to give a flying ...
• Too addicted to playing the ‘victim card’ to do much of anything else (except to perhaps whine).
• Blaming small, mid, or especially Big government to do much of anything else (except for bending over to the FIRE sector).

Because they are too big to ‘bully’ they are too big to care or give a flying ... what anyone says:
The song remains the same, ‘Don’t rock the boat but dammit keep on bailing.’

= no reforms to address the systemic risks, especially in the FIRE sector.

Although ‘Trickledown Economics’ Philosophy/Creed is in its 2nd phase: ‘Golden Showers Economics.’

• Continue Corporatism full force
• Continue to offshore jobs as much as possible to save in labor costs, for benevolent tax treatment, etc.
• Dismantle Labor Unions
• Continue to market privatizing as much as possible to continue corporatism in full force.
• Rinse & repeat

Old 09-29-2014, 05:16 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,191,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadSpeak View Post
duplicate thread :

investigating the fed

And i posted the article where sherrod Brown and Elizabeth warren are seeking an investigation into this.

Oh and uh who are the people said money doesn't influence people ? If money does not influence people than how exactly is this even allowed to be ?
Others have been calling for a full accounting of the Fed only to continually get dismissed in their concerns.

Old 09-29-2014, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Others have been calling for a full accounting of the Fed only to continually get dismissed in their concerns.
They've been asking for an audit, this is an investigation into their relationship with whom they are supposed to be investigation. One is financial the other is influence

Old 09-29-2014, 07:21 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,191,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadSpeak View Post
They've been asking for an audit, this is an investigation into their relationship with whom they are supposed to be investigation. One is financial the other is influence
So why have those asking for a financial audit been dismissed for years? Has there ever been a government "investigation" that ever actually accomplished anything? What did the 911 commission accomplish?

Has an investigation ever held anyone accountable for anything? The government had the chance to address all of this in Dodd/Frank but refused to. The solution is simple. We do not need an investigation, we need the solution implemented. Don't call for a investigation, present the solutions and argue for the passing of these solutions.

Old 09-29-2014, 07:27 AM

Unfortunately that is not likely to happen anytime soon, until we get big money out if politics the banks and big business will never allow such a thing to end. I really do hope Elizabeth Warren runs for president I'd pick her over Hillary any day, besides Hillary had her chance and she went for the money instead of the people

Old 09-29-2014, 07:39 AM

2,305 posts, read 3,028,608 times
I love reading a thread with comments from people who actually understand what is going on in the world today. This forum has so many gullible people on it still believing in my party is better than yours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies