Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2014, 01:34 AM

15,529 posts, read 10,499,357 times

Advertisements

Nothing wrong with a little civil disobedience. This new school board member appears to be an idiot, she hasn't done either side any favors. Would not the fight be with the College Board and not the local school anyway. The teachers are going to have to present said material in order for the students to pass. I looked at the old and new sample questions again and I viewed several syllabuses online. I don't like it. Too late though, this ordeal has jumped the shark on multiple levels.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2014, 08:40 AM

7,605 posts, read 4,844,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aplcr0331 View Post
What were high schoolers of the 60's discussing on the political and social spectrum?
Recently I came across this report made by the US Civil Rights Commission about a demonstration at the high school I attended in White Plains, N.Y. One of the issues was the curriculum.

http://files.eric.ed.gov/fulltext/ED029359.pdf

Interestingly enough I believe this is the very type of "civil disorder, social strife or disregard of the law" that Williams doesn't want to be taught in the schools.

Old 09-30-2014, 08:53 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,778,277 times
Obviously the "proper people" do not want the "mere peons" to ever think that evil things like civil protest and trade unions can ever be possible. Everything will be all right if everyone would just do as they are told and stay in perpetual ignorance while buying stuff they do not need with money they do not have but can borrow from the "real rulers".

Old 09-30-2014, 10:15 AM

1,294 posts, read 1,120,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by random_thoughts View Post
no, they protested taxes

Truly, the most idiotic post in this thread. Congrats !!!!

Old 09-30-2014, 10:18 AM

1,989 posts, read 2,535,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamSmyth View Post
Recently I came across this report made by the US Civil Rights Commission about a demonstration at the high school I attended in White Plains, N.Y. One of the issues was the curriculum.

http://files.eric.ed.gov/fulltext/ED029359.pdf

Interestingly enough I believe this is the very type of "civil disorder, social strife or disregard of the law" that Williams doesn't want to be taught in the schools.
Thanks for that link, fascinating reading.

Old 09-30-2014, 10:32 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,828,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
How could anyone possibly teach American History without reference to civil disorder and revolution?
Yeah right, our whole history is about civil disorder and revolution.

Old 09-30-2014, 02:27 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,219,329 times
History as taught in public schools has always been white washed. Only public school can make the civil war appear to be a boring war. 1 of my test questions and I will never forget it. How many cigars did General Grant smoke a day? The answer was 10, but how is that bit of trivia in anyway important to the topic of the civil war?
I fear what some call white washing is actually a lack of political agenda or Politically correctness.

Old 06-26-2015, 07:09 PM

175 posts, read 257,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
Students in Colorado have been practicing civil disobedience over a proposal by three Conservative school board members that seeks to rewrite history and minimize the teaching of civil disobedience:

"The school board proposal that triggered the walkouts calls for instructional materials that present positive aspects of the nation and its heritage. It would establish a committee to regularly review texts and course plans, starting with Advanced Placement history, to make sure materials “promote citizenship, patriotism, essentials and benefits of the free-market system, respect for authority and respect for individual rights” and don’t “encourage or condone civil disorder, social strife or disregard of the law.”

Denver students stage walkout over whitewashing history | Al Jazeera America

Good on the students. It seems it's the Conservatives here who need some lessons in history. This country was founded on civil disobedience and disregard for the law.

Promote citizenship, patriotism, essentials and benefits of the free-market system, respect for authority and respect for individual rights”

We can't be having any of that now can we? Good riddance to the students. Let all the left wing "teachers" walk out too. And the left wonders why we see them as loony. LOL

Old 06-26-2015, 07:43 PM

260 posts, read 218,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty Above All Else View Post
How many of those kids really care and did not do this just to get out of school?
All of them.

Old 06-26-2015, 08:05 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 21 days ago)

29,550 posts, read 16,536,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALR4929 View Post
Promote citizenship, patriotism, essentials and benefits of the free-market system, respect for authority and respect for individual rights”

We can't be having any of that now can we? Good riddance to the students. Let all the left wing "teachers" walk out too. And the left wonders why we see them as loony. LOL
This thread is 9 months old. Why are you bumping it ?

Further more, You can before those things and teach the realities of the past, it is clear that this thread was about the whitewashing of history using the guise of those things.

Is that hard for you to understand ????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies