Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2014, 01:15 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,620,252 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
As a train engineer (that is someone who operates a locomotive, pulling a freight train, in case you didn't know), I doubt he lives in the basement.
Maybe the train engineer spends too much time in the roundhouse, going in circles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2014, 01:27 PM

12,282 posts, read 13,199,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Can anyone answer my question?

I couldn't give a rats ass about Bush this or Obama that.

I want to know how a moratorium on fishing will stop ocean acidification and combat climate change as the idiot asserted.

GOOGLE IS YOUR FRIEND. Try it.

Old 09-29-2014, 01:34 PM

23,423 posts, read 17,101,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Overfishing as a concept doesn't exist in Conservaland, it appears.
Right off the uber democratic state of Nj, trawlers scrape the sea bottom in protected areas and dump back thousands of pounds of dead game fish that the feds pretend to protect with heavily restricted limits for hook and line anglers.

The reason it continues is the state rounds up its posse to snag the outlaws and exponentially outspends the meager fines collected by the the law for such crimes.

So to hear the feds are protecting an isolated area in the Pacific for the good of man and earth, they squander the resource if it does not further their political agenda.

Old 09-29-2014, 01:54 PM

46,881 posts, read 25,845,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
Right off the uber democratic state of Nj, trawlers scrape the sea bottom in protected areas and dump back thousands of pounds of dead game fish that the feds pretend to protect with heavily restricted limits for hook and line anglers.

The reason it continues is the state rounds up its posse to snag the outlaws and exponentially outspends the meager fines collected by the the law for such crimes.

So to hear the feds are protecting an isolated area in the Pacific for the good of man and earth, they squander the resource if it does not further their political agenda.
So - because New Jersey can't control their overfishing, it's just a stupid idea and no one should try it, ever?

Old 09-29-2014, 02:00 PM

11,086 posts, read 8,520,476 times
Does it impact the Chinese? The Agitator in Chief is very vindictive and likes to provoke nuclear powers.

So far no one here has grasped that the Hong Kong protests are likely orchestrated by the U,S, much like Cairo and Kiev were.

I don't think the Chinese will lie down and take losing Hong Kong.

Old 09-29-2014, 02:17 PM

3,040 posts, read 4,987,061 times
Call me stupid or what, but are not the former Gilbert Islands now the Republic of Kiribati, and if so, how can our POTUS restrict fishing in an area that belong to another country. If I were a local fisherman in Kiribati I'd be pretty upset also.

Old 09-29-2014, 03:12 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,173,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
In other words, your topic fail on a forum is proof positive for you.
Wow. I never knew C-D was so influential.

Come out of the basement and get a life. The mold down there isn't good for your brain.
So you can't answer the question either.

You never read the article on how He said that no fishing will stop ocean acidification and stop a natural process such as climate change.

Old 09-29-2014, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
As a train engineer (that is someone who operates a locomotive, pulling a freight train, in case you didn't know), I doubt he lives in the basement.
Don't bother with small minds.

Old 09-29-2014, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
Gotta love the liars at FoxNews and the people they dupe. They title and edit their article to make it sound like the Obama administration said they are expanding the preserve in order to help prevent ocean acidification and climate change, when in fact they said no such thing.

Here's the actual quote from the press release:

"The adjacent areas also provide an important ecosystem for scientific study and research. The pristine waters provide a baseline comparison for important scientific research that monitors and evaluates impacts of global climate change, including benchmarking coral bleaching and ocean acidification. The scale of the adjacent areas significantly enhances opportunities for such scientific research"

Presidential Proclamation --- Pacific Remote Islands Marine National Monument Expansion | The White House
This what the article said and a rebuttal by a scientists:

Quote:
Perhaps significantly, the White House announcement contains almost no mention at all of the threat of commercial fishing to the Pacific area where the expanded monument now extends. It does note that atolls and reefs in the area “are hotspots of biodiversity that harbor uncounted numbers of new and unique marine species”—meaning that they aren’t known to be under threat, either.
It further claims that “the expansion will better protect the habitat of animals with large migration and foraging ranges that stretch throughout the area, including sea turtles, marine mammals, and manta rays”—which are not fished.
The bigger dangers mentioned in the White House announcement are “the impacts of climate change and ocean acidification” which have only hypothetical impact on the area, and in any case are not affected by a commercial fishing ban.
Indeed, the new preserve will have “absolutely no impact” on acid levels in the ocean, says Ray Hilborn, a professor in the School of Aquatic and Fishery Sciences at the University of Washington and
Don't quote some garbage that is a qualification for the lunacy after the fact.

Old 09-29-2014, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
I guess it's clear who's "flat-out" lying here. Although I may give T-310 the benefit of the doubt and assume he's just been duped by the admittedly very professional liars at Fox.
Hardly. Refute the scientists that called out your hero's idiocy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies