Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2014, 05:06 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,737,137 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rishi85 View Post
This baffles me so much. Some civilian is beheaded and there's an outcry. And then a day passes and we all forget it and move on.
The western world, or at least the United States of America has state of the art technology. Drones machinery, bulletproof tanks, supersonic air crafts. God only knows what kind of super weapon they harbor. Invisible suit maybe, jet packs maybe. I mean they keep testing these things all over the deserts. Then how on a earth are they battling an insurgence? I started wondering this as a 16-17 year old boy. How do American soldiers die. How do they die when they can live inside a bulletproof tank and simply bulldoze the entire area. How do they die when they can send drones and robots to tackle the fanatic soldiers?

I will give you this....the terrorists in Iraq or Syria or anywhere are like guerrilla men. They know their land very well. But....it does not make sense even then. Sometimes a part of me wishes that they simply blow these terrorists head off on live television to send the message.

I am not anti Islam. I don't care. But they are living in the medieval era. With what they do to their own people(burqa) people of higher kind cannot grow and take over this earth.
Here's some good reading:

TERRORISM AND THREATS TO U.S. INTERESTS IN THE MIDDLE EAST

The Changing Face of Middle Eastern Terrorism

http://www.start.umd.edu/sites/defau..._1970-2011.pdf

Eight facts about terrorism in the United States - The Washington Post

http://www.humiliationstudies.org/do...umiliation.pdf

Keeping in mind, terrorists are not just extremist Islamic types, we've had a good chunk of home grown terrorists over the years, (ELF and ALF). The link to the .gov site gives some really good insight how people are recruited to become terrorists, especially those who would willingly commit suicide for the terrorist group:

Quote:
A third important point...suicide attacks, an organization makes use of people who are willing to die to begin with...The common method is that the organization recruits people who are express a willingness to commit suicide. Usually they don't put it in these words. They don't say commit suicide, but die for the cause...martyrdom.

The organization...identifies persons who express their willingness to carry out these kinds of attacks. Once the organization...are convinced that the person is serious they put them usually in a training process that may last in most cases from weeks to months.

This training process involves two important elements. One element is strengthening the already existing willingness to die by giving that person additional reasons, strengthening his reasons, to die...

The other element...in this training process is the creation of a point of no return. This is very important because the wish to die is not stable. Nobody is 100% suicidal and still alive, of course so that a person may change his or her mind in the process...In order to make sure that the person does not change his mind, the organization makes points of no return.

These are achieved by making the candidate to write last letters to his family, to his friends. The person, the candidate, is being videotaped saying farewell, and from that point on the person...is actually referred...living martyr. The living martyr, meaning that he is already dead. He is only temporarily here with us.

Under such circumstances after this phase it is very, very hard for persons to change their mind.
I had to seriously edit because we can only quote so much, but I highly implore you to read the whole thing. The particular part I quoted was found starting on page 12 in the "commdocs" link, (first link I shared).

There's many reasons for terrorism, not just religion. For people to assume religion is the only reason for terrorism is wrong. As has been said a few times on this forum, you cannot wipe out an ideology. So what is the best approach? I have my opinions, I'd like to hear yours, (general "yours") other than, "kill 'em all", because saying, "kill 'em all" illustrates you don't understand how/why people become terrorists in the first place, nor do you understand that they don't all live in one little convenient area.

Old 09-29-2014, 12:14 PM

224 posts, read 527,791 times
Anyone remember the movie Swordfish?

Stanley: War? Who are we at war with?

Gabriel: Anyone who impinges on America's freedom. Terrorist states, Stanley. Someone must bring their war to them. They bomb a church, we bomb 10. They hijack a plane, we take out an airport. They execute American tourist, we tactically nuke an entire city. Our job is to make terrorism so horrific that is becomes unthinkable to attack Americans.

Old 09-30-2014, 01:27 AM

15,754 posts, read 7,594,663 times
Quote:
This baffles me so much. Some civilian is beheaded and there's an outcry. And then a day passes and we all forget it and move on.
The western world, or at least the United States of America has state of the art technology. Drones machinery, bulletproof tanks, supersonic air crafts. God only knows what kind of super weapon they harbor. Invisible suit maybe, jet packs maybe. I mean they keep testing these things all over the deserts. Then how on a earth are they battling an insurgence? I started wondering this as a 16-17 year old boy. How do American soldiers die. How do they die when they can live inside a bulletproof tank and simply bulldoze the entire area. How do they die when they can send drones and robots to tackle the fanatic soldiers?

I will give you this....the terrorists in Iraq or Syria or anywhere are like guerrilla men. They know their land very well. But....it does not make sense even then. Sometimes a part of me wishes that they simply blow these terrorists head off on live television to send the message.

I am not anti Islam. I don't care. But they are living in the medieval era. With what they do to their own people(burqa) people of higher kind cannot grow and take over this earth.
Some one else used this analogy and I thought it accurate, it is like the game, whack-a-mole. You whack one and another pops up some where else. So it is not a matter of weaponry, it's a matter of distinguishing one from another.

As for as bullet proof tanks, I have a son, he served two tours, his tank rolled over an IED not once but twice and he is here, home, only by the Grace of God. How do American Soldiers die? You've opened yourself up on that one, just so you know.

I haven't forgot those who have been beheaded. I may not know their names, but I am very much aware and saddened by it all. There isn't any of us that is forgetting anything. We don't forget, we just don't live our lives in fear. With that said...

Our right to bare arms keeps America safe. If any one tried to take someone's head off on our streets, out of 10 by standers, 5 would be armed and no one would get to see the video as the film person would be shot too.

We took out Osama and ISIL (or ISIS) popped up. This is going to be an on going process. We can't just blow the head off a terrorist, because it's like fighting a 5 headed snake. What we can do, is keep our guns and keep ourselves safe at home and let the military do the government's bidding abroad.

Old 09-30-2014, 01:53 AM

15,754 posts, read 7,594,663 times
Quote:
We? As in the western world or the United States?
Your perspective has a point and as long as politicians will keep getting elected, nothing can be changed.
I still think it is oil. Nothing but oil.

But my query wasn't because of the politics involved. It is a philosophical debate perhaps.
If you hadn't gotten involved the Islamic states would still flourish, and that flourishing is completely out of tune with rational thought. Their own people, just like now, would suffer. Saddam Hussein would still be alive and ruling. Did you read the times article on his two evil, barbaric sons? That would still be going on irrespective of any outside involvement -!:

We need to go to Mars, we need to find a reason to this dilemma of existence, we need to save animals(you think halal meat is justified?) and share this earth with them. Tell me how many Islamic people care about these issues? The bigger picture? Not that they can't, but they aren't reared to be such. They aren't reared to think outside the box. And that is unjustified.
We didn't have a dog in the fight until they took out the Towers. They goaded the U.S. into it and our government fell for it. So, Bush bombed or had the Towers bombed so he could start an Oil war?

I can't buy that and I never could. (If I am reading more into your post than what is, pls let me know) I've heard that said and I don't see it.

This is what I see. They came here; used our technology against us and we set out to fight back. They wanted us to fight back that was the reason they were here. ISIS (ISIL) showed up at the time Obama said, 'they're coming home', coincidence? No, they wanted the U.S. military to stay in the fight. Strategy? I see multitudes of strategies being used by them. They wanted out attention and they got it.

Their goal is to have their flag, flown over the White House lawn and they won't stop until it happens. This is no secret and they are passionate driven.

This ME war has been going on for over 250 years and we weren't in it, (not really) until 2001. Oil doesn't mean anything to them and it shouldn't mean anything to us either. Their flag flown on the White House law, to them, that's priceless. That is the freedom, our military is fighting for and we can help here at home by keeping our legislative people on task.

Old 09-30-2014, 02:17 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,497,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1282 View Post
As a veteran who went to Iraq twice let me say we have armor we're not bullet proof. The terrorist hide among civilians and unlike them we actually value life so we try not to kill the innocent ( tho sometimes it does happen). We are the only army in the world (maybe in history someone will correct me if I'm wrong) that put its own soldiers at risk to protect civilians of the country we are at war with. (I mean the west in general just not America). We try to communicate and help the locals if your behind all this metal and armor it scares them and makes us look like robots rather than humans.
This. Short answer but very true. The enemy is not always obvious, and that's how the terrorists work.

Old 09-30-2014, 05:18 AM

12,387 posts, read 8,152,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
Why couldn't the British Army, the best in the world, beat a group of dysfunctional colonials led by an officer who wasn't good enough to earn even a commission in the British Army?
You do understand that earning a commission in that army consistent of being the right man's son and buying it.

Old 09-30-2014, 07:54 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,538,911 times
Default Why can't the western world simply destroy these terrorist pockets?

Short answer:

It ain't the "western world's" job to get the middle east to stop acting like the middle east has for the past nine thousand years.

Next question, please.

Old 09-30-2014, 08:06 AM

6,848 posts, read 7,993,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
You do understand that earning a commission in that army consistent of being the right man's son and buying it.
Actually money alone, which Washington had, would suffice for someone not from the colonies.

Old 09-30-2014, 08:08 AM

14,888 posts, read 10,035,501 times
We can't destroy them because they aren't limited to or confined to pockets. There are millions and millions of Muslims around the world and while many are peaceful, unfortunately for civilization millions are not. We've got tons of radicalized Muslims here in the US, they don't openly behead people on TV or call for terrorist attacks but they fully support it happening and long for the day when they can participate.

Old 09-30-2014, 08:51 AM

12,387 posts, read 8,152,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
Actually money alone, which Washington had, would suffice for someone not from the colonies.
And President Washington was a Colonel in the militia for the British army before being named General of the Continental Army.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies