Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2014, 06:43 PM

433 posts, read 289,156 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
Which side has banned birth control from Americans? I will save you the trouble of a reply, Neither side has done so, your rights and those of women, are still intact, end of story. But wait, it's not the end of story, because Democrats and liberals commonly complain about conservatives wanting to ban contraceptives.

So when it comes to an issue where exaggerating the truth hurts Democrats, then we should all be reasonable and quit with the hyperbole? Sure thing. But then you need to do the same when it comes to birth control.
High Five Man!....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2014, 07:16 PM

4,412 posts, read 3,942,373 times
Quote:
Which side has banned birth control from Americans? I will save you the trouble of a reply, Neither side has done so, your rights and those of women, are still intact, end of story. But wait, it's not the end of story, because Democrats and liberals commonly complain about conservatives wanting to ban contraceptives.

So when it comes to an issue where exaggerating the truth hurts Democrats, then we should all be reasonable and quit with the hyperbole? Sure thing. But then you need to do the same when it comes to birth control.
Banned birth control? No one. Decided as a matter of policy that it's okay for an employer to decide what he'll cover just because? You know who. Who holds hearings on womens health issues, including contraceptives, and fails to actually invite women to speak? Oh you know who as well. Who campaigns on shutting don one of the largest providers of OB/GYN care for students and poor women? Yep, same group.

Democrats pander like it's nobody's business, and they have overplayed the War on Women(tm). But don't think that just saying that there isn't a war on women - and conflating it with a war on guns, or women driving minivans, or whatever - is going to get women to support Republicans when so much paternalistic and anti-choice policy and public statement is out there.

Change the policies and then you can start getting the support of women.

Old 09-30-2014, 07:34 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,862,202 times
Quote:

Nice try. Too bad I am not a Democrat

Old 09-30-2014, 08:02 PM

11,078 posts, read 15,031,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Nice try. Too bad I am not a Democrat
anyone that's not a third eye on the forehead drooling right winger is a democrat to them..mods,centrists,libertarians,blue dogs etc etc...all left wing "libral" democrats

Old 10-06-2014, 03:11 PM

3,913 posts, read 5,205,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Ok, lets get something straight.

The percentage of people who would like to outlaw all guns, for all reasons, in all places, is about as high as the number of people who would like to outlaw blacks from voting.

So lets just start right there with this reality. There is no "war on guns". There are people, who have rationally thought this through, who do not believe that you, I, or anyone else should own assault weapons, that we should own a gun magazine that holds 30 rounds, and that people should have mental health checks before buying a gun from anyone, licensed dealer or private sale.

That is not a war on guns. That is not a war on women. Now, if your state decides to pass a law that goes against the second amendment, shoot for the moon, file a lawsuit, let the highest court in the land decide. I support gun ownership. I support concealed carry. I support men and women who feel like they need a gun for home defense to buy one. I just want to make sure they know how to use it correctly, that they aren't going to paint their heads read and walk into a movie theater and kill a bunch of people with them, and that if they do, they don't have the capacity to kill 30 folks before reloading. Because if they have 10 rounds, and use all of them, I'm coming up from behind my seat, and I only need one to stop the madness.

Have you ever seen how many rounds are expended by cops in shootouts? Sometimes it's in the hundreds. While overtly rare, it's that one circumstance that scares the Shiite out of anyone. Case in point, how many times are gangs involved? Nuff' said.

It's not that some (heck, almost none) want to go out like Rambo 4 with a .50 cal in the back although there are some that might but, if someone wants a 30 round magazine, have at it.

We let some people drive Hummers, right? Big Trucks, right? Not everyone drives a Prius...capiche? You have to take the perceived bad with the perceived good.

FACT: Most gun owners are your next door neighbors you would never, ever guess had one.
FACT: Bullets do NOT stop people, blood loss does. Muscles become starved for oxygen and quit functioning (legs, arms) and THAT's when the altercation stops...seen some of the muscles on some?
FACT: Most people aren't that good of a shot? INCLUDING THE COPS
FACT: People don't typically stand by and get shot. They MOVE. Ergo the need for more rounds, read above
FACT: Most people don't practice as much as they should. Ergo, again, more rounds
FACT: Most calibers that folks carry aren't as effective as you see on TV
FACT: Shooting someone in the heart does NOT necessarily stop them. With the blood remaining in their system, they can remain conscious, and therefore, dangerous, for another 15-20 seconds. Think about it
FACT: That clown in Oklahoma was stopped with a RIFLE, not a pistol

When you total all that up, you can see why 17 round magazines became all the rage two decades ago. People simply don't hit what they are shooting at that effectively and the bullets do not instantly incapacitate another ANGRY human from charging....look at the "Saint" Michael Brown and HIS wounding pattern...the 5 in the arm didn't stop him..the one in the head, did.

Ever try to shoot at something charging you the size of a softball when starting and the size of a basketball when close? Ducking and weaving....adrenalin pumping....not easy I'm sure....ergo the need to practice.
Barriers: 30 round "assault" (As if) rifles penetrate barriers...don't know too many crooks that wouldn't use one (a barrier) if it were available....9mm, 40 S&W and .45 cal ACP MIGHT penetrate some barriers but, not all. Rifles? Much, much better results.

Is there a risk? Certainly. But, if Oklahoma's beheading situation were underway, it's a risk I'm willing to let you and the rest of the public take? Thanks to that off duty deputy, the threat was ended before he BEHEADED Another AS PLANNED.

30 rounds? That is the LEAST of my worries. I just hope the slob that has it, practices with it. I know I do. There is nothing more intimidating than an AK-47 or a 12 gauge pointed at you. Frankly, my eyes are dimming and opt for the .12 gauge in the trunk if I can get to it....if not, the 9mm in the glovebox will do until I can. I just leave them in there because I practice a lot. If possible, I'll drive away, FAST from trouble but, again, as in Oklahoma, sometimes you just don't get that chance. Sometimes decisions are made FOR you?

I would trust that if you had a weapon and someone were going to behead me, I would very much appreciate it if you put as much lead as humanly possible his/her way as quickly as you can to hopefully let me see another day. I would be extremely grateful for your efforts and would publicly praise the same. So would my kids.

30 rounds? Please, load up. And for God's sake, PRACTICE!

Old 10-06-2014, 03:59 PM

2,172 posts, read 1,446,866 times
Looks like the ammosexuals have gotten all worked up today.

Old 10-06-2014, 04:47 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,846,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Ok, lets get something straight.

The percentage of people who would like to outlaw all guns, for all reasons, in all places, is about as high as the number of people who would like to outlaw blacks from voting.

So lets just start right there with this reality. There is no "war on guns". There are people, who have rationally thought this through, who do not believe that you, I, or anyone else should own assault weapons, that we should own a gun magazine that holds 30 rounds, and that people should have mental health checks before buying a gun from anyone, licensed dealer or private sale.

That is not a war on guns. That is not a war on women. Now, if your state decides to pass a law that goes against the second amendment, shoot for the moon, file a lawsuit, let the highest court in the land decide. I support gun ownership. I support concealed carry. I support men and women who feel like they need a gun for home defense to buy one. I just want to make sure they know how to use it correctly, that they aren't going to paint their heads read and walk into a movie theater and kill a bunch of people with them, and that if they do, they don't have the capacity to kill 30 folks before reloading. Because if they have 10 rounds, and use all of them, I'm coming up from behind my seat, and I only need one to stop the madness.

It's funny.....

Your intention is to keep criminals from getting guns and using them to commit crime, and yet you support banning the kinds of guns that are used the least in crimes ("assault" rifles) but have no problem with the guns that are used overwhelmingly the most in crime ( handguns )

.....Oh well. At least you correctly called it a magazine instead of a "clip"...

Old 10-06-2014, 04:50 PM

3,750 posts, read 4,933,208 times
People are probably more likely to kill themselves with their own gun than to fend off an attacker with one.

Old 10-06-2014, 04:53 PM

3,750 posts, read 4,933,208 times
Are people really just p*ssies these days that they need to accuse everyone who disagrees with them as fighting a war against them? Geez. Go to the Congo or Sudan or somewhere where people are actually oppressed and then talk.

Old 10-06-2014, 04:56 PM

4,396 posts, read 4,888,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb Longstreet View Post
FACT: Bullets do NOT stop people, blood loss does. Muscles become starved for oxygen and quit functioning (legs, arms) and THAT's when the altercation stops...seen some of the muscles on some?
There are 4 things that stop a threat:

1. structural - bones - This may not incapacitate the bad guy but it will give you a huge advantage. Where's the best location? Pelvic girdle aka the hip region. If the hip bone is shattered you have just taken away not only the ability of the bad guy to move but the ability to stand.
2. electrical - nervous system - The most difficult to hit. You might think the head is large but the cranial vault goes from eyeball to eyeball about one inch above and below. It's about the size of an index card. Hitting anywhere outside of that doesn't guarantee you will immediately stop the threat. Pelvic girdle is a great place since you have the lower spine as well as large nerve bundles that control both legs.
3. hydraulic - blood loss - That's the slowest of the 4. Depending on where a perp is hit, it takes seconds to hours to bleed out. The heart is the best place to hit but the smallest. Again, the pelvic girdle has a large number of vessels feeding the lower body.
4. psychological - Sometimes when a person is shot they have a sudden change of heart. This hurts like the dickens and I don't think I want to continue. It's probably the least likely end to a violent confrontation.

Why did I mention the pelvic girdle so much? It's like going to be like the old west where you and the threat are standing face to face. There will be movement on both sides. Like in football, the easiest way to miss a tackle is watch the head. It fakes you out but the hips never lie. They will always tell you where the rest of the body is moving.

And this isn't my list. I picked it up during a combat rifle training class.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies