Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2014, 12:56 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,159,468 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Texas has robin hood financing. All the money goes to the state and the state doles it out to school districts.
The affluent districts are complaining though; they want to keep all their money and let the poor districts figure out another way to raise money.

That is what is driving an effort to appeal robin hood financing.
Another thing the affluent school districts are doing is pooling their personal money through the PTA and hiring their own teachers for their schools.

New building and stadiums are bond issues voted on by the residents.
Any city can vote to build a new school but the financing is via municipal bonds and the poor districts just don't have good bond ratings and investors wouldn't buy them.
You don't understand Texas school finance at all. It is flat out false that all money goes to the state for reallocation.

The Robin Hood system establishes a level at which property taxes collected above a certain amount will be sent to the state. The taxes collected below the threshold remain in the local school district. This threshold value is essentially the ratio of (taxable property value)/(average weighted daily attendance). I think the value is about $450,000 right now. Note that Robin Hood funding only applies to taxes used for maintenance and operations. Taxes used for debt service (repayment of bonds) is not subject to Robin Hood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2014, 01:07 PM

1,735 posts, read 1,769,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Hmmm...So what about the (supposed) axiom that "throwing more money at education doesn't work?"

Granted, conservatives are who I hear saying this most of the time...but folks say it as if it's the gospel.
Well it isn't in this county which was once considered the top school districts in the county and one of the wealthiest in a very liberal state with a very liberal county council. Even having the government as being part of their economy isn't helping much either:

In Montgomery schools, achievement gap widens in some areas, drawing criticism - The Washington Post

That's not to say spending money on schools is all wrong. But in the case for this county, it may have to do with cultural behaviors towards education.

Old 10-01-2014, 01:09 PM

7,808 posts, read 6,387,167 times
Sounds like people are proposing new ways to mooch off of others.

Old 10-01-2014, 01:11 PM

13,943 posts, read 5,615,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftymh View Post
Sounds like people are proposing new ways to mooch off of others.
Yep. One more form of welfare.

Old 10-01-2014, 01:17 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,868,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
There are many aspects of Texas' Robin Hood program I dislike. But I fully support equalization of basic school funding in Texas. It is immoral for schools in areas with very low taxable property to not have access to a reasonable level of funding.

That Robin Hood was ruled unconstitutional is primarily due to the idea that redistribution of property tax revenue essentially creates a state property tax, which is unconstitutional in Texas. Texas will have to create a new system to fund poor school districts above what they can generate via property taxes. It won't be today's Robin Hood system but the money has to be found somewhere.

That doesn't mean all school systems should have equal funding. Families with money should not be denied the ability to concentrate some of their tax money to the schools their children attend.

It is very likely you have never paid the full cost of educating your children in Texas K-12 schools. Texas spends a bit over $9000 per student per year. I pay more property tax than that - but I had three children (all now through K-12).
And they ARE denied. Many chose certain districts quite awhile back, only to find out that some things remained unfunded because of the money that had to be turned over for redistribution.

I know of two districts in particular--my own home county, which is considered a property-rich district. The amount of money that they couldn't keep was just appalling. It made me sick. The other district was the one that my sister taught in for many years not far from Austin. That district had to cut back on programs for the same reason--redistribution.

One thing that would help our Texas schools enormously would be to not have to provide a free education for illegals and other non-citizens. If they could take this off the table, we'd be much, much better off. These students should have to return to their own countries for their education.

Old 10-01-2014, 01:29 PM

35,057 posts, read 31,258,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
Be glad you don't live in TX, where "Robin Hood" means that property-wealthy districts have to throw a good chunk of their money at poor districts along the border and other places within the state.

It's been found unconstitutional, but they haven't come up with anything to replace it.

All districts should be able to keep all of the money generated by local property taxes for THEIR schools.

As it is, they have to cut back because so much of their money went to some poor district. It is patently unfair that they have to subsidize other districts that don't pay nearly as much.
Many of the poor districts have language problems, cultural problems, too rural to attract quality teachers, etc. If I lived in a normal area, I wouldn't want it going to some area on a periphery.

Old 10-01-2014, 01:38 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,707,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
Lake Forest Country Day School |Homepage

His 2 boys had a hard time there as pupils, his girl did fine. (they get free tuition) Essentially ostracized by the eliteness of the other kids.
Tuition and Fees | Latin School of Chicago

1/2 day pre K - $23, 500/yr.

These schools are bargains compared to the elite schools on the east coast where tuition runs about $50,000 a year, beginning in first grade.

All have wait lists a mile long.

I don't begrudge those who have the means........

Old 10-01-2014, 01:43 PM

14,480 posts, read 11,273,359 times
Mr. Joshua says "CNBC trying to divide nation and make us turn on one another".

Old 10-01-2014, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post

One thing that would help our Texas schools enormously would be to not have to provide a free education for illegals and other non-citizens. If they could take this off the table, we'd be much, much better off. These students should have to return to their own countries for their education.
The US has been educating children of undocumented aliens, since forever.

In 1982, SCOTUS struck down Texas' attempts to deny and/or charge for the education of children of undocumented aliens.

Plyler v. Doe - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 10-01-2014, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
Mr. Joshua says "CNBC trying to divide nation and make us turn on one another".
This poll had nothing to do with CNBC. Other media have reported it. I included a link from Fox News in post #22.

Here it is, again:

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/09/30...lth-gap-could/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies