Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2014, 11:02 AM

19,893 posts, read 18,403,515 times

Advertisements

Nope because how long before this 3rd party would succumb to the ways of what the other two party's stand for now.

Would be great, perhaps for a little while. I hate to say this, but I just believe and hate feeling this way, you can start out with the best of intentions and truly believe this. But how long before corruption sets in, and the reality of what being a politician really means. Would be great if we could find a 3rd party, who could set the other two, packing, but in all fairness, do not believe this will happen anytime soon.

The one thing the current two party's are in agreement on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2014, 11:10 AM

25,024 posts, read 27,858,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
Nope because how long before this 3rd party would succumb to the ways of what the other two party's stand for now.

Would be great, perhaps for a little while. I hate to say this, but I just believe and hate feeling this way, you can start out with the best of intentions and truly believe this. But how long before corruption sets in, and the reality of what being a politician really means. Would be great if we could find a 3rd party, who could set the other two, packing, but in all fairness, do not believe this will happen anytime soon.

The one thing the current two party's are in agreement on.
At least somebody understands what I'm trying to say. plus, under our current system, it's hard to have a 3rd party in a full presidential system like ours. It's easy to do it under a parliamentary system

Old 10-01-2014, 11:17 AM

18,792 posts, read 8,409,237 times
A 3rd party candidate would help ensure that the party he or she is closest to politically would lose in a national election.

Old 10-01-2014, 11:18 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,884,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
What makes you think a third party won't get bought out by the rich?
I get your point and it's certainly possible but right now the best we have are the third party and independent politicians that are trying to expose the corruption-Ron Paul, Jill Stein, Bernie Sanders, Dennis Kucinich, etc.

If there were no parties-everyone was independent-it would be tough to control candidates since they are not attached to any larger institution.

Public awareness limits the blatant corruption and moneyed influence. These people seem to have moral convictions lacking in the majority of politicians. They actually care about the country and it's people..

Last edited by 2e1m5a; 10-01-2014 at 11:28 AM..

Old 10-01-2014, 11:29 AM

4,651 posts, read 4,579,503 times
Quote:
Waste of time and money

What makes you think that the third party won't get co-opted either? Rand Paul got corrupted soon after entering Congress, although some say he always had ulterior motives, which I maintain. We don't have a political problem in this country, we have a cultural problem. Corruption in government is an extension of society itself. A democratically elected government is an extension of the society that it has jurisdiction over.
There is more waste of time and money right now by the status quo imposed by the 2 party system, it is not a democratic system, when you have to choose between malaria and aids.
A third and even a fourth party would open up the political debate on every issue and young Americans can participate freely.
Ron Paul was abused and evicted from the debate by several media, he was a republican so even if you're a member of one of the political parties of the system, you can be seen as an unwanted candidate by the press and the system as a whole.
American system is not a true democratic system because money is the main tool, not ideas or issues.
Democratic means more than 2 parties.

Old 10-01-2014, 11:33 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,891,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sommie789 View Post
What do you think?
Yes. One that represents the majority of Americans, which are stuck in the middle, call it the Common Sense Party

Old 10-01-2014, 11:34 AM

Quote:
At least somebody understands what I'm trying to say. plus, under our current system, it's hard to have a 3rd party in a full presidential system like ours. It's easy to do it under a parliamentary system
Not true, I disagree, could you explain why is it hard for a 3rd party to participate in a presidential system like ours ?
Yes, if the other 2 parties sabotage the process like it happened with Ron Paul but not if the rules are clear and fair for every candidate or party.
Presidential system doesn't mean 2 party system.

Old 10-01-2014, 11:36 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,578,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandalorian View Post
No. The gridlock is bad enough as it is.

Ross Perot was probably the closest person in history to go as a third partier and it didn't work out too well for him.
Indeed he was.

His appearance, style and presentation did not appeal to the masses.
If by some fluke he had won, Congress, regardless of who had the majority, would have ignored him.

Old 10-01-2014, 11:37 AM

45,120 posts, read 26,284,895 times
People join parties to vote for other peoples ****. I see a third party as changing nothing but portion sizes.

Old 10-01-2014, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
People join parties to vote for other peoples ****. I see a third party as changing nothing but portion sizes.
Portion size is already a big change in this boring and corrupt political system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies