Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2014, 05:02 PM

2,884 posts, read 5,639,216 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWillys View Post
Koch bros are the largest contributors to Americans for prosperity which only supports ideals of the 1%. I'm a retired union carpenter,
That was as far as I got, and it was as far as I needed to get to completely understand where you're coming from... UNION.... Bah Humbug...

Old 10-04-2014, 05:25 PM

4,625 posts, read 12,287,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nayabone View Post
That was as far as I got, and it was as far as I needed to get to completely understand where you're coming from... UNION.... Bah Humbug...
Yeah, that pension check comes every month, and I've still got good health care. One only needs to look at poor red states to see the failed ideal the Koch bros push. I can't wait to pay my dues.

Old 10-04-2014, 09:55 PM

14,221 posts, read 6,955,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwestRedux View Post
You remember a brief period of time following the Second World War when the majority of the developed world was in ruins except for the United States. We had all the resources and output capacity and the rest of the world had almost limitless demand for the goods we produced. This is why a person with little or no education could get a 40 hour a week job and support a family. It was a fleeting moment in history, the exception rather than the rule. Using this as a baseline for the labor market is like using the late 1990s as a baseline for the stock market.
This isnt really true though. The rest of the world had surpassed their pre-war output by the early 1950s. They were not "in ruins" for more than 5-6 years. The post-war economic boom was a global boom that lasted for several decades, and most importantly it was a period of equal prosperity with the programs from FDR still in place. This all changed with the financialization of the economy in the 70s.

Old 10-05-2014, 01:59 AM

6,380 posts, read 6,270,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nayabone View Post
That is the close-minded attitude of too many in your party. And from such an attitude, I doubt you'll understand how this makes your entire party look to others, especially educated moderates.

Old 10-05-2014, 07:47 AM

26,212 posts, read 19,509,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwestRedux View Post
Why are the Koch brothers evil? Because they support conservative causes? Because Rachel Maddow and the moron from Rolling Stone told you they were? Did they start the war on women? Is it because they own some companies that produce the energy you're consuming blabbering about how evil they are?

One of the most prominent think tanks that the Koch Brothers support is the Cato Institute. Take a few minutes and look at their site: Cato Institute | Individual Liberty, Free Markets, and Peace

I'm sure none of you Koch haters have looked at that site or read anything about the Koch Brothers form sources other than the Huffington Post, Rolling Stone and other loony-left publications with an agenda. If you took a little time to think for yourself instead of regurgitating stale liberal talking points, we could probably have a better discussion.

I just got done reading a fact filled article from the Rolling Stone.

Yes, the Koch's are greedy pigs who will destroy the planet in search of greater profit margins.

Old 10-05-2014, 09:25 AM

3,930 posts, read 6,440,025 times
When you cite Politifact as a source consider that it is the brainchild of the Tampa Tribune and the Austin American-Statesman, that are as left as the NY Times.

It cited an ad as a lie where a former governor, running as a Democrat for governor, after being given millions in campaign funds, appointed a Ponzi-Schemer to a court appointment commission where he could impact court appointments for his benefit. Yet Politifact said there was no relationship between the money donated to the governor and the appointment.

And there is no relationship between the moon and tides, or the sun rising and daylight.

Old 10-05-2014, 12:04 PM

4,625 posts, read 12,287,540 times
Interesting when considering they chose Obama for the biggest political lie of the year for 2013?

And the top lie of 2013 goes to… – CNN Political Ticker - CNN.com Blogs

Or are they only biased when it is against your chosen party?

Old 10-06-2014, 04:24 PM

520 posts, read 775,494 times
There's a pretty simple test to determine the origin and validity of your perspective on this.

If you think the Koch Brothers are evil because they run a large corporation that may or may not engage in some questionable practices and use their money to influence elections, AND either:

1. You think George Soros is Just as bad

2. You think George Soros and his practices are A-ok

3. You never heard of George Soros

Here is how I would evaluate someones opinions based on their which one they chose.

The few people who would choose the first option are principled free thinkers who apply logic over ideology. Well done.

The people who would choose the second option are hypocrites. George Soros is known as the "man who broke the Bank of England," by short selling the British Pound and earning a billion dollars (no exaggeration) for himself in the process. He is a rogue trader/investor who puts his bottom line above all else.

Whereas the Koch Brothers try and influence the opinion of voters, George Soros seems to want to make new voters. Many of the groups he financially supports focus on getting everyone from recent and/or illegal immigrants to prisoners to disinterested people to vote, and making sure that they are legally able to do so. The only condition is that they have to vote the way he wants them to.

You can't have it both ways. If you're opposed to the Koch Brothers and what they do, you should be just as opposed to George Soros.

If you fall into the 3rd category, then I know that you are just spewing out second-hand talking points. If all you know about the Koch Brothers is that they're evil and you don't know who George Soros is, you are the definition of a low-information voter. Please stay home on the first Tuesday in November and develop some thoughts and opinions of your own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies