Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should party designation be removed from the ballot?
Yes 31 56.36%
No 24 43.64%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2014, 01:43 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,931,450 times

Advertisements

Some reading for so-called experts here that profess to know about how electoral college votes are assigned and used, my point is proven unless you want to ignore reality once again:
Electoral College

U. S. Electoral College

voting - Which US states give proportional Presidential electoral college votes to candidates? - Politics Stack Exchange
and of-course Repubs trying to change the rules:
Some GOP-led states look at electoral vote changes - CNN.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2014, 01:44 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,931,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Right, bring up kinky sex instead of addressing anything substantial about the Top Two voting system.

I'm happy you're in Alaska as well.
Yes, very understandable, but what about the people of Alaska.

Old 10-03-2014, 01:46 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,737,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Yes, very understandable, but what about the people of Alaska.
I'm a big believer in self-selection!

Old 10-03-2014, 02:05 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,889,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
I wish it would happen, it is the only chance for a third party to ever become a player.

It will never change though, anything that threatens the power of those already in power, in both parties, will be destroyed. DC loves the status quo.

There is the rub. Most citizens are stupid and don't realize DC is not we, the people. DC is the federal government and that can be changed via the ballot box.
To be more concise, the federal government loves being the status quo. Take out a couple of big name losers this Nov and watch how things shake up.

They should have only one primary election and that should be open to all as independants are excluded in many states - they are here in MD.

Old 10-03-2014, 02:47 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,683,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Do you think removing the party designation from general election ballots would be a good thing? (This would mean there also would not be a straight ticket option)

I believe it would help our political process. I believe it will encourage more voters to become better educated on the candidates while reducing the number of "party voters".

The only real problem I see is that name recognition will give the incumbent an advantage; however, I feel that we could fix that with term limits which would mitigate this negative.

Discuss.
I have mixed feelings, but I voted NO. I can see some advantage, most people are inclined to vote Party Unless they are independents. But how would you handle primaries if you did remove the party? We still have to elect in the primary based on party and if people are paying attention to the election they should know what party a person is affiliated with. I would like to see the straight ticket option go away. I have only voted straight ticket once. Even in elections where I vote my party, I want to mark each box.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies