Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2014, 12:50 PM

27,119 posts, read 15,300,057 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadSpeak View Post

No but he got us started on the time line to take our troops out plus we never would have been there in the first place had he and his congress not voted YES on going to war in the first place.

Yet Obama could/should have been more open to listen to military advisors warning him not to be so quick and not withdraw so many.

That didn't follow his mantra though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2014, 01:07 PM

2,777 posts, read 1,780,332 times
The last time unemployment rates (including discouraged workers) were as bad as they were after 2008, it took well over a decade to recover.

I would say he did a really good job.

Old 10-05-2014, 01:07 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,352,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
You did not answer the question: Why do you think the House Republicans did not support Bush's proposals to 'take steps to reform' things?

He wanted to take the authority of regulation from Congress and give it to himself (the White House) Do you understand that if he had succeeded, he would have caused even more damage AND now Obama would have that same authority to do whatever he wants when it comes to regulating finance. Not pretty. Luckily both GOP and Dems knew better than to support such measure, as it would have been unconstitutional.
I did certainly answer the question--I answered it with a question. Which house Republicans provided major opposition to Snow? Link? Quote? The only opposition I know of came from House Democrats. I have supplied several links, but here's one more:

Democrats Blocking Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac Reform - YouTube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxine Waters (D, CA)
we were trying to fix something that wasn't broke[sic]...we do not have a crisis at Freddie Mac, and particularly at Fannie Mae, under the outstanding leadership of Mr. Frank Raines [a Clinton crony]
Now it's your turn to back up your claim.

Old 10-05-2014, 01:13 PM

720 posts, read 705,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
Note to Democrats: Normal Americans don't have six years
These are Liberal figures using Ghost Math or Common Core. Most everyone that is not infected with the dreaded Liberal virus knows its at least 12% or above...

Old 10-05-2014, 01:17 PM

77,005 posts, read 47,597,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
I did certainly answer the question--I answered it with a question. Which house Republicans provided major opposition to Snow? Link? Quote? The only opposition I know of came from House Democrats. I have supplied several links, but here's one more

I have not seen an answer yet. Why did House Republicans oppose Bush's proposal? Of course Dems opposed it. Everyone opposed it, except those who did not see what Bush was trying to do (you).

On the contrary GOP created their own bill to regulate Fannie/Freddie, it was called GSE reform bill (Federal Housing Finance Reform Act). Bush admin opposed it. Why? Because Bush didn't want regulation, he wanted to transfer the power of regulation from Congress to himself (or his handlers).

Old 10-05-2014, 01:23 PM

7,605 posts, read 4,842,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavaturaccioli View Post
My figures concern the labor participation rate -currently the lowest in many a decade. Millions upon millions who need (not merely want) full time work are locked in part time jobs. My figure includes the U-6 figures. Even if my cited figures are off by a whopping 10%, it still paints a picture of lousy leadership. It's been six years and it's still all Bush's fault to you lot. Obama isn't a president to you; he's a cult figure. The cognitive dissonance is truly disturbing.
So your 90 million figure are those the BLS counts as not in the labor force. How many of those 90 million are retired?

Old 10-05-2014, 01:29 PM

7,605 posts, read 4,842,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
I did certainly answer the question--I answered it with a question. Which house Republicans provided major opposition to Snow? Link? Quote? The only opposition I know of came from House Democrats. I have supplied several links, but here's one more:

Democrats Blocking Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac Reform - YouTube

What does the link you posted have to do with the housing bubble? The issues with FNMA during the 2007, 2008 housing bubble were not connected to the earlier issue of accounting practices at FNMA.

Old 10-05-2014, 01:35 PM

38,647 posts, read 26,363,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadSpeak View Post
So why don't you blame congress as well ? So since obama can only do what the gop wants done than shouldn't you be complaining how the gop dropped the ball on this one?

yeah he did until the economy collapsed and we ended up with a near depression at the end, which of course if par for the course when you allow bad policies to be enacted and than the right wing gets their panties in a wad when someone else gets the job and refuses to do much of anything to actually help this country or work with the guy currently in charge.

As in 1994 when Democrats had been given two years to do what they liked, by the time the first midterm rolled around following a complete Democrat take over, the voters in 2010 had endured all they could and sent Republicans to stop the Democrats.

As for those bad policies that nearly caused a depression, Democrats have their finger prints all over them.

Specifically, Clinton championed NAFTA and the 2000 China Trade Act while repealing Glass-Steigal and deliberately leaving derivatives unregulated on the advice of his economic "working group" that included Raines, Summers and Rubin.

How Did GW Bush Cause Our Current Economic Problems?

Old 10-05-2014, 01:39 PM

510 posts, read 430,531 times
Funny how unemployment only improved after the Evil GOP Congress(tm) blocked Obama's last request for a long-term unemployment extension...

Quote:
Why do Republicans oppose unemployment benefits?

Feb. 7 2014

Why do Republicans oppose unemployment benefits? - CNN.com

Old 10-05-2014, 01:42 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,333,532 times
Obama only achieved the unemployment rate he has because millions have given up looking for work or are working part time jobs that they can't even survive on. The U6 rate exposes the pathetic-ness of Obama's recovery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies