Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2014, 10:09 PM

32,056 posts, read 15,052,579 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
The courts do NOT have complete control over laws and "the people" just as the President of the United States nor the Congress (both the Senate and the House of Representatives) of the US have absolute control. We do have a system of checks and balances when it concerns the three branches of government: the Executive, the Legislative, and the Judiciary.

If the "the people" - a majority of them that is - are so against marriage equality, let them pass an amendment to the US Constitution outlawing all marriages except the heterosexual kind.

Anyone who has been reading the releases put out by the National Organization of Marriage (NOM) can see that this is the only way same sex marriage can be stopped nationally.
There will be no amendment that allows the inequality of anyone. That is not what our country is about.

Old 10-12-2014, 10:13 PM

2,572 posts, read 4,250,801 times
It's fun watching all these little heads exploding! Won't be long until all 50 states and territories have marriage equality.

Old 10-12-2014, 10:29 PM

4,472 posts, read 3,824,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
Gay marriage ban just struck down in Alaska - another domino falls.
The "many" do NOT have the right to suppress the rights of the "few".

Federal Judge Strikes Down Alaska Gay Marriage Ban - ABC News

Ken
If you aren't gay, then why do you(and other straights) feel so strongly about it? I can understand if you were gay or had a gay family member, but it has no affect on you if gay marriage was illegal(unless you are gay yourself).

Old 10-12-2014, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunar Delta View Post
It doesn't matter. The game is over and the writing is on the wall. Same-sex marriage will be legal in all fifty states soon.

So they will find a church that will, then.
Not through the will of the people. Most of these states had a vote and the people spoke.

Gay activists make me not want to support it. Shouldn't it be the other way around?

Old 10-12-2014, 10:33 PM

2,572 posts, read 4,250,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xboxmas View Post
If you aren't gay, then why do you(and other straights) feel so strongly about it? I can understand if you were gay or had a gay family member, but it has no affect on you if gay marriage was illegal(unless you are gay yourself).
Well you claim your not gay, so why do you feel so strongly about it? I can understand if you were gay or had a gay family member, but it has no affect on you if gay marriage was illegal(unless you are gay yourself).

Old 10-12-2014, 10:36 PM

302 posts, read 196,551 times
Quote:
What? I'll admit I ind social issues like gay marriage to be less important all things considered, but just because I have no actual affiliation with the LGBT community doesn't mean I shouldn't care about them.

I mean seriously, you care about what happens to the poor and blacks right? Just because I'm not one of those groups doesn't mean I can't support increasing their civil rights.

Old 10-12-2014, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunar Delta View Post
Empathy? Compassion for fellow human beings? Putting myself in their place to imagine how they feel in their situation? I can't believe I am having to explain these things to one who is ostensibly an adult.
They can essentially do whatever they want with each other, even without marriage. Its not illegal to be gay. There are countries where you are put in prison for any homosexual activity. They can still remain lifelong partners. I know straight people who have been together but never married and they are still happy.

Old 10-12-2014, 10:43 PM

1,261 posts, read 2,146,118 times
Quote:
Not through the will of the people. Most of these states had a vote and the people spoke.
What does the will of the people even have to do with it? The supreme court has ruled multiple times that marriage is a fundamental right; the will of the people has no place in this matter.

Quote:
Gay activists make me not want to support it. Shouldn't it be the other way around?
No. It is up to you to decide why you are so bothered and do something about it. There is no rational reason not to be in support.

Old 10-12-2014, 10:47 PM

1,261 posts, read 2,146,118 times
Quote:
They can essentially do whatever they want with each other, even without marriage. Its not illegal to be gay. There are countries where you are put in prison for any homosexual activity. They can still remain lifelong partners. I know straight people who have been together but never married and they are still happy.
But then they would not receive any state or federal benefits for marrying, which can be extremely important.

Old 10-12-2014, 10:50 PM

302 posts, read 196,551 times
Quote:
It was illegal to be gay in several states only until recently.

Marriage, by the way, entitles a spouse to inheritance, hospital rights, tax benefits, and several other issues that aren't nothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies