Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2014, 07:46 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,385,663 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by juneaubound View Post
I have no idea what this young lady has been doing professionally since she played a cute little kid in the Cosby Show back in the 80's (which I watched) and a teenager starring in her own comedy (which I never saw) but she was recently interviewed by Oprah Winfrey.

1. She does not want to be labelled gay - she wants to be known as a lover of humans

2. She does not want to be labelled African American - she wants to be referred to as an American, and her roots are in Louisiana.

I don't give a lot of weight to what entertainers have to say about anything political, but many people do. A different perspective than what you often hear coming from personalities:

Raven Symone To Oprah: 'I'm Not African-American -- I'm American' - MTV
I agree. Her perspective here is the best I've heard. What a great woman. I am absolutely a big fan of hers.

Kudos to this great woman.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 10-06-2014 at 07:58 PM.. Reason: off topic trolling

Old 10-06-2014, 07:58 PM

8,447 posts, read 4,752,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
LOL, your post is hilarious

Raven is indeed a leftist.

Watching you guys jump for joy in this thread( a thread about something 99% of leftist would agree with), is hilarious.

its almost as bad as the Lupe Fiasco situation.
Still trying to pin labels on her I see.

Old 10-06-2014, 08:02 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 23 days ago)

29,552 posts, read 16,542,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bully View Post
Still trying to pin labels on her I see.
Why is it wrong for me to say she is a leftist while other people on her say she isnt ?

How about I word it the way she would to satisfy you.

" an american who supports Democrats"

Old 10-06-2014, 08:08 PM

2,003 posts, read 1,545,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyandJusticeforAll View Post
Wow in 2 sentences she removed all labels and said call me an American.

Liberals must besides themselves.
Uh...why?

As a person who is left as all get out, I just call people what they want to be called, and treat them according to character. It's the folks on the left that label people "thugs" or "rioters" based on their skin color.

Well, really, some on the left do as well.

Old 10-06-2014, 08:17 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
Well that's your problem, race certainly does exist. I'm proud to be black.

We totally understand, tribes are still around today.

Can someone be proud to be white, in todays world of racisim?

Old 10-06-2014, 08:21 PM

8,447 posts, read 4,752,145 times
Quote:
Why is it wrong for me to say she is a leftist while other people on her say she isnt ?

It's not about satisfying me....this is a thread about one woman who doesn't want to be labelled. When you say she is a leftist you are making many assumptions. The left/right paradigm intermingles many different kinds of issues and the leftist label assigns viewpoints she might want to come up with on her own.

Old 10-06-2014, 08:23 PM

7,359 posts, read 5,463,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadoken View Post
Uh...why?

As a person who is left as all get out, I just call people what they want to be called, and treat them according to character. It's the folks on the left that label people "thugs" or "rioters" based on their skin color.

Well, really, some on the left do as well.
Some?

Racist, sexist, Islamophobe, denier, homophobe, teabagger, RWNJ, etc.

You're right that people on both sides do it, but don't even try to come off like the left isn't way, way more into labeling people than the right is.

Old 10-06-2014, 08:29 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times
Quote:

When the Democrats disown her, guess where she will go, after a slap in the face?
The Republicans are praising her and the Demwits are a hate'n.

Old 10-06-2014, 08:30 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 23 days ago)

29,552 posts, read 16,542,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bully View Post
It's not about satisfying me....this is a thread about one woman who doesn't want to be labelled. When you say she is a leftist you are making many assumptions. The left/right paradigm intermingles many different kinds of issues and the leftist label assigns viewpoints she might want to come up with on her own.
You destroyed your own argument as I was responding to someone who said she isnt a leftist, something echoed multiple times by conservatives on this very thread.

If the above is truly what you believed, then you would have responded to the multiple people who had said she isnt a leftist including the very person i was responding to.

Also, Raven is like 30. Im pretty sure she has already formed those opinions and my post on here isnt going to change them.( i doubt she would ever see them)

Old 10-06-2014, 08:37 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,094,955 times
Quote:

I honestly doubt she's a leftist. Probably leans left, but generally the left wants to celebrate ethnic heritage while the right tends to focus on nationalism in the present. I personally find both views ridiculous, as my heiritage is based on accident of birth and so is my nationality technically, but even so, unless I founded this country, saying 'I'm proud to be an American' is as bizarre to me as saying 'I'm proud of being able to grow a full beard.' Neither were a result of something I did, but that's beside the point. She's likley not a leftist, though is arguably socially liberal in the actual meaning of the word liberal, which comes down to 'mind your own business.'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies