Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2014, 02:02 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
to solve a non existent problem.
You can keep saying that but that doesn't change the fact you have no idea what the extent is. Neither does it change the fact the only way to prevent voter fraud no matter what the source requires identifying who the voter is.

A

Quote:
Maybe a new system could be devised...thumbprints ....
I already suggested it as seems to be the obvious solution for absentee voting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2014, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
But you can actually prove how many people run red lights,
Yes, you can prove how many people run red lights. How is you do that? You identify them.

Old 10-09-2014, 02:16 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,792,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Sure it would with simple indicator it's not a valid for ID voting or as I suggested streamlining the in person voting process using the ID.

Then why was the DOJ denying Florida access to that information? Why are states denyed the ability to determine US citizenship with motor voter?

They were already registered and voted, that's a huge issue.
The problem with the Florida purge is that it included a number of people who were citizens. That got the DofJ into the act. And note that a number of local voter registration operations refused to deal with the list because it was so badly done.

Such a program needs very good validation of non citizenship before it denies a citizen the right to vote.

I would think Florida needs to work out a way to validate voter eligibility that meets Federal law. But that whole process has little to do with non photo ID voting.

Old 10-09-2014, 02:20 PM

Quote:
You can keep saying that but that doesn't change the fact you have no idea what the extent is. Neither does it change the fact the only way to prevent voter fraud no matter what the source requires identifying who the voter is.

A

I already suggested it as seems to be the obvious solution for absentee voting.
The actual question is how close to zero it is. Any substantial amount would have long since been identified by the many watchers of right wing persuasion.

I would support thumb prints on absentee ballots....though at this point in the art it would probably be simpler to go to internet voting. Has to come someday.

Old 10-09-2014, 02:32 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,158,856 times
Quote:
Yes, you can prove how many people run red lights. How is you do that? You identify them.
You don't have to photo ID someone to see if they are running a red light.

Old 10-09-2014, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
The problem with the Florida purge is that it included a number of people who were citizens.
After repeated requests for the federal data that were denied.

Old 10-09-2014, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
You don't have to photo ID someone to see if they are running a red light.
i·den·ti·fy

establish or indicate who or what (someone or something) is.

Old 10-09-2014, 04:10 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,158,856 times
Quote:
i·den·ti·fy

Yet checking a photo ID isn't going to solve anything except make people think something is being done to prevent fraud that isn't even an issue.

Also, if one is going to commit voter fraud, the chances of them doing it in person is slim because the effect would be very small.

Old 10-09-2014, 04:11 PM

Quote:
After repeated requests for the federal data that were denied.
I believe that was an issue with Florida and the Feds of Voting Rights that was settled in FL favor. I believe Florida has had access to that data base since mid 2012.

One of the remaining problems is that the Florida list came out roughly 60% Hispanic surnames while the population of FL is only about 14% Hispanic. That of course smells of Republican games.

Old 10-09-2014, 04:16 PM

Quote:
i·den·ti·fy

Actually it would be a simple task to find out whether fraudulent voting is a problem. Set up a sampling plan that would be able to detect say - a tenth of a percent voting fraudulently and then look at the sample and see what the parameters are of the fraudulent votes.

You need to do it carefully as much such efforts have found the biggest source of apparently fraudulent votes was clerical error.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies