Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2014, 04:31 PM

4,651 posts, read 4,592,373 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
What for? Hispanics are supposedly assimilating to our language. Hmm, could it be......?
But we also have to assimilate their language ! where is the problem, let's learn from the Hispanics !
Learning should go both directions.
Btw, Spanish is also an American language !!

Old 10-08-2014, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
So, if it's English, they're speaking a language, but if it's foreign, it's "babbling".
Wow.
You're really living up to the stereotype.
You can tell ,he has a problem with other American culture, btw, Spanish and Mexican culture, cuisine , music has been in America longer than English or any other language beside native American languages.

Old 10-08-2014, 04:35 PM

62,945 posts, read 29,141,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scobby View Post

Look your language is not valid anymore, we're not in the 1800' anymore ,the world is a small town with the Internet and telecommunication developing rapidly ,you can't be uneducated in one language only or handicapped with one language.
In the US, 2 languages should be taught at the same time, and be mandatory.
We don't need a common one, we need 2 or 3 common languages for useful, not desirable, communication.
"My" language? Um no, the United States de facto national language in 2014 is English.

I have never had a need to learn a foreign language nor do most Americans. Foreign languages should never be mandatory in school. They aren't useful nor desirable. It's a waste of time unless you deal with foreign countries or are in the tourist industry. Even at that English is the language of business across the world. There are far more important things to learn. I think learning a trade makes much more sense.

We don't need a common language to communicate in?

Old 10-08-2014, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I'm in Texas and I see 2nd generation children enter school not speaking English.
Times are different. One does not need to speak English as a primary language today.
It really doesn't matter ,Hispanic kids will pick up English very fast, it's not an issue at all.

Old 10-08-2014, 04:38 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
It really doesn't matter ,Hispanic kids will pick up English very fast, it's not an issue at all.
Yet we have over 100,000 Obamacare enrollees that got rejected because notices were not sent in their native languages.
These would be adults. These would be citizens because only citizens can get Obamacare.

Yeah.."not an issue at all".

Old 10-08-2014, 04:42 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,903,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
I would love for some of these people to go to Europe and see the amount of signs in other languages when you visit countries.
Like English? Def NOT Spanish unless in Spain.

Old 10-08-2014, 04:43 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,323,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
"My" language? Um no, the United States de facto national language in 2014 is English.

I have never had a need to learn a foreign language nor do most Americans. Foreign languages should never be mandatory in school. They aren't useful nor desirable. It's a waste of time unless you deal with foreign countries or are in the tourist industry. Even at that English is the language of business across the world. There are far more important things to learn. I think learning a trade makes much more sense.

We don't need a common language to communicate in?
You can't learn a trade AND learn a second language? We do it all the time here. Maybe that's why we're kicking your butts in PISA tests. Our kids must be whole lot smarter.
You don't give Americans very much credit, do you?
I'm sure your kids can learn plumbing and French. I'm sorry you don't think so. Maybe it's just YOUR kids.

Old 10-08-2014, 04:45 PM

Quote:
For your info , the name : 'California' is originally a Spanish name and doesn't need to be renamed !!

Btw, California used to be part of the country of Mexico so it didn't really belong to us in the past.
Uh; Mexico stole that land from Spain, they only had it for about 35 years. Please think about something here: If Spain had WON against the Mexicans in 1810, I'd lay some serious money that Spain would've sold all of Mexico plus what's now CentAm to the US, kinda like what France did about 1800 with Louisiana. There probably be NO Spanish allowed since the US has the rep of knocking the "ethnic" out of legal aliens real fast.

Old 10-08-2014, 04:47 PM

Quote:

Look your language is not valid anymore, we're not in the 1800' anymore ,the world is a small town with the Internet and telecommunication developing rapidly ,you can't be uneducated in one language only or handicapped with one language.
In the US, 2 languages should be taught at the same time, and be mandatory.
We don't need a common one, we need 2 or 3 common languages for useful, not desirable, communication.
Speak for yourself, please. Unless I need to talk to the maid or gardener; why know Spanish since most educated Hispanic people of ANY race here legally DO know English.

Old 10-08-2014, 04:49 PM

5,391 posts, read 7,230,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
I beg to differ with you.
Most immigrants who came to this country that spoke a different language wanted to assimilate. Whether it be the Germans, Polish, Irish, Italians, etc., they decided they wanted to be full fledged Americans and made sure their children not only spoke the native tongue, but also gave them American names. That is one of the reasons they have been successful in this country.
But at the time, Benjamin Franklin would beg to differ with you.

He wrote, "Why should Pennsylvania, founded by the English, become a colony of Aliens, who will shortly be so numerous as to Germanize us instead of our Anglifying them, and will never adopt our language or customs, any more than they can acquire our complexion?"

And more about German immigrants, ""Those who come hither are generally of the most ignorant Stupid Sort of their own Nation…and as few of the English understand the German Language, and so cannot address them either from the Press or Pulpit, ’tis almost impossible to remove any prejudices they once entertain…Not being used to Liberty, they know not how to make a modest use of it…I remember when they modestly declined intermeddling in our Elections, but now they come in droves, and carry all before them, except in one or two Counties...In short unless the stream of their importation could be turned from this to other colonies, as you very judiciously propose, they will soon so out number us, that all the advantages we have will not in My Opinion be able to preserve our language, and even our Government will become precarious."

Sound familiar?

Good old Ben didn't even consider non-Saxon Germans to be authentically white!

"Which leads me to add one remark: That the number of purely white people in the world is proportionably very small. All Africa is black or tawny. Asia chiefly tawny. America (ex clusive of the new comers) wholly so. And in Europe, the Spaniards, Italians, French, Russians and Swedes are generally of what we call a swarthy complexion ; as are the Germans also, the Saxons only excepted, who with the English make the principal body of white people on the face of the earth."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies