Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2014, 05:46 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,836,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
I beg to differ with you.
Most immigrants who came to this country that spoke a different language wanted to assimilate. Whether it be the Germans, Polish, Irish, Italians, etc., they decided they wanted to be full fledged Americans and made sure their children not only spoke the native tongue, but also gave them American names. That is one of the reasons they have been successful in this country.
Yes and agreed and I am Hispanic but my parents raised me as an American instead of some hyphenated person.

Old 10-08-2014, 05:47 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,899,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
I think you need a history lesson. The United States has never had one culture, it's always been a melting pot. It's why traditions in this Country vary so much by the area you live in.
Yes and no.

The main language of the US is English. Our basic legal system's more like how they roll in England, NOT France or some other place.

I know not all of us like football, beer, NASCAR and so on.

Mexico's basic culture is pretty much that of Spain.

Funny for a country that does NOT have a "culture" how so many ILLEGAL aliens, mostly from LatAm want to be here. IMHO what passes for "culture" in any LatAm country is MUCH worse than our "no culture" US. lol

Old 10-08-2014, 05:47 PM

62,931 posts, read 29,126,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
You're kind of loose with your own "past and present" use.. In another thread ( birth control for kids). You're whole argument was about how things were in the " past" while others argued that the past... Is past and it's time to adapt to the present.
Stay on topic, please. This one isn't about birth control for kids and your analogy fails.

Old 10-08-2014, 05:49 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,278,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
"Out of many, "ONE". Do you not see the "one" part? Yes, we have one "identifying and dominant" culture and language in this country with "minority" ones living among us. I know history so I suggest you stop with the insinuations that I'm stupid about it.
No we don't. We have several different cultures in this country, which vary by the region people live in. Traditions of people in Georgia are pretty much nothing like traditions of people in the rust belt, and vice versa. We have a de facto language in this country but people speaking other languages over English is nothing new. When my Lithuanian family came to America several of them never learned English. My Great Grandmother from Italy never learned it either.

Old 10-08-2014, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scobby View Post

Maybe this is the present but you represent the past.
Some things were much better in the past than they are in the present. Of course, liberal progressives would never agree with that.

Old 10-08-2014, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Our identifying American culture isn't a culture? Education isn't just about learning a foreign language you know. It's not all that smart to waste time learning languages you will never use. If I want to experience another culture I sure as hell don't have to learn their language to do it.
It's not, but it's also hardly a waste compared to simply learning a trade either. You don't have to experience a culture fully to appreciate it, but it does add more dimensions to it if you can do so.

Old 10-08-2014, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Some things were much better in the past than they are in the present. Of course, liberal progressives would never agree with that.
It depends on what one views as better.

Old 10-08-2014, 05:57 PM

Quote:
No we don't. We have several different cultures in this country, which vary by the region people live in. Traditions of people in Georgia are pretty much nothing like traditions of people in the rust belt, and vice versa. We have a de facto language in this country but people speaking other languages over English is nothing new. When my Lithuanian family came to America several of them never learned English. My Great Grandmother from Italy never learned it either.
Yes, there are "minority" cultures living among us. Didn't I already say that, Geez! That still doesn't negate the fact that we do have one identifying culture and language.

Too bad that your ancestors didn't care enough to learn the language that "they" chose to migrate to. With my ancestors it was the opposite. They wanted to be American in every way and learned and spoke English. That doesn't mean they gave up their native traditions and even some of the language at home and nothing wrong with that.

The "immigrants" coming today are more like yours. They don't want to assimilate to the country "they" chose to migrate to. Why come here then? Are we just a cash cow of opportunity for them?

Old 10-08-2014, 05:59 PM

33,571 posts, read 18,154,780 times
Yup , the Mexicans say it is Mexifornia.. they intend to take it over and they are about there.

Old 10-08-2014, 06:00 PM

Quote:
It's not, but it's also hardly a waste compared to simply learning a trade either. You don't have to experience a culture fully to appreciate it, but it does add more dimensions to it if you can do so.
Well if you want to be totally immersed in a foreign culture and language then why don't you move to the foreign country of your choice? Compare learning a trade for a career to learning a foreign language that you will never use. Any questions?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies