Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2014, 10:09 PM

3,955 posts, read 7,199,177 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
Yup , the Mexicans say it is Mexifornia.. they intend to take it over and they are about there.
Sad but true.

Old 10-08-2014, 10:14 PM

2,171 posts, read 1,459,160 times
ugghhh just stupid

Old 10-08-2014, 10:28 PM

32,068 posts, read 15,062,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gretsky99 View Post
This is what happens when you have open borders. The disingration of a nation as european nations are finding out as well!

http://rt.com/usa/193944-california-...ebate-spanish/

Record 61.8 million residents in U.S. speak langauge other than English at home.

One in five in the U.S. don't speak English at home, immigration report says - Washington Times
Why are you blaming the left for open borders. We have had republicans in the white house who have ignored it as well.

Old 10-08-2014, 11:59 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,933,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDusty View Post
A lot of people build entire careers because they speak more than one language. Learning a foreign language can boost your career; by opening opportunities that other wise would not exist. If you took a look at too college grads, both with a degree in business, if one can speak more than one language, that person has more job options that the one who only speaks one language. Your point is completely false. It assumes people already have their career waiting for them while getting an education which is not even remotely true. What one does in their education will help open career options and being bilingual opens up a lot of opportunities that do not exist at all for those who are not bilingual.
I'm entering the IT field, and my goal is to learn Korean, Chinese, and Japanese. Why? Because I want the cushy job, maybe even transfer as a manager overseas to advance my career Americans who just want to get by can stay here and spin their wheels for all I care.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scobby View Post
It doesn't make sense, it's always a good idea to learn another language beside your native language whenever and wherever you are.

Puerto Rico is a US territory where Spanish is the main language and Puerto Ricans are Americans of Hispanic culture, most of them live in NY,LA,SF,NO, Chicago, Boston, Atlanta, nobody can deny that.

Therefore Spanish language is an American language, whether we like or not ,it's part of our culture, like it or not, we can't deny it, so Spanish language is not a foreign language in America, in fact it is American language beside English.

NB : I'm not even a Hispanic, I don't speak Spanish and i wish I did.
Might as well give up on Oldglory. It's like trying to convince my late grandmother to like Russians. Was never gonna happen no matter how hard you try, she was set in her ways, the same for Oldglory. The reason for Oldglory's fierce resistance is typical of men his age. The world is not the same as the one he grew up in, and neither is the country, and it scares him. It's the old "Angry/Scared White Male" adage. It's as true as the seasons
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
It's a Latin American language, geez. It is only a minority language in the U.S.

Interesting. Didn't know this was a map of Latin America of the country that the Spanish language was born in. Do you know what this country is called (the one in dark green), and some of its neighbors?

Old 10-09-2014, 12:08 AM

13,933 posts, read 12,896,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexusNexus View Post
As you clearly demonstrate, Dems have the Latino vote.

I applaud a debate in Spanish that can better educate and inform our Latino population.
That's a paradox if I've ever heard one. No one who'd want to bolster the Dem voter base would ever want to educate and inform the potential voters. That's the quickest way to lose votes for the Democrats.

Old 10-09-2014, 12:26 AM

9,828 posts, read 9,416,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I'm in Texas and I see 2nd generation children enter school not speaking English.
Times are different. One does not need to speak English as a primary language today.
Born and raised in the US and don't speak English. You're flat-out lying.

Old 10-09-2014, 12:33 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,933,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
Born and raised in the US and don't speak English. You're flat-out lying.
Let's also not forget that HappyTexan is using a sample size of one or two cities, with those cities only along the Rio Grande. I've told HappyTexan so many times already, if your claim is true, then it is true for most other cities around the world that are right beside an international boundary. Namely, that border cities are, naturally, gateways to the neighboring country, and that speakers of either language always flow across. In my state, far removed from the Mexican border, 2nd generation Hispanics speak more English than Spanish. Hell, my siblings and myself were born in Puerto Rico, but we speak English fluently and cleanly, and this is at the same time growing up speaking Spanish and German at home. So, yes, I agree on your bull**** call. If they can come on here and claim, "herp derp, my ancestors rapidly assimilated to and spoke English shortly after leaving port", I can claim that if 1st generation Hispanics like me can communicate in English like how I am right now, it leaves no doubt for 2nd generation and beyond

Old 10-09-2014, 07:03 AM

62,945 posts, read 29,141,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
I am more interested in knowing which candidate speaking in spanish especially spanish candidates told the listeners that illegal immigration must stop because it hurts the everyday citizen and that companies should be sought out and fined and that Mexico , Honduras and such should get their own act together socially and financially.
You can bet your bottom dollar that none of them did and in fact they probably said the opposite to appease their audience.

Old 10-09-2014, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jertheber View Post
Let's be honest, none of the "immigrants" that came here spoke the "native tongue".........
And your point is? This is about them learning it and speaking it after their arrival. I would prefer they knew English prior to coming here.

Old 10-09-2014, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jertheber View Post
Acting as though "we", the populace of the United States, have in our constitution, a portion that directs us to speak a certain language. We don't and never will. Language adaptation for immigrants has never been one of immediate change, the various peoples who came here in the 1900's were barely able to communicate in english, it was their offspring that carried the old language as a second, and their children spoke english almost exclusively.

Relax, breathe deep and experience the change. You and your complaining won't matter a a bit in the end, things morph and often for the better. Always whining about those things that don't always serve you directly is a sign of self indulgence, get over it already........
Experience the "change"? Why should any nation enjoy the "change" to their identifying culture and language? Name one country that would! So to want to retain our identity as a nation and not lose it via illegal immigration and unassimilating "immigrants" is to whine and be self indulgent? Maybe, it's you that should get over your apparent anti-American views.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies