Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2014, 11:45 AM

7,801 posts, read 10,085,987 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxjay View Post
Officially bilingual? I don't think all of those countries are (in fact, I know France, Russia, Spain, and the UK are NOT officially bilingual). The only country that has two official languages is Canada (French and English) and 'til this day there is still division in that country between the French (Quebecois) and the rest of English-speaking Canada.

It is not a fact of having someone speak another language when/where they want (no one cares about that). The issue is for official, public business - language is one of the several factors that bind a society, and having multiple languages treated equally in the nation destroys the binding fabric and negates the 'melting pot' notion of the US.
Your confusing nationalism and separatism ... they are two very different matters. For instance in Quebec there are many people who are Quebec nationalists but who vehemently oppose Quebec separatism. The Quebec Liberal Party and CAQ fall into this category - both parties make up over 2/3 of the electorate.

Spain and the UK both have official langues other than Spanish and English at the regional level:

Scotland - English, Scottish Gaelic
Wales - English, Welsh
Northern Ireland - English, Irish Gaelic

Catalonia - Spanish, Catalan
Basque Country - Spanish, Basque

Old 10-09-2014, 11:46 AM

11,143 posts, read 7,907,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Well, progressives think every thing was worse in the past. Abortion, gay marriage, teens being provided with condoms so they can have sex, illegal aliens, etc. according to them are all big improvements today.
Off topic .... We're not talking about these things remember ? At least that's what you said to me a few posts back.

Old 10-09-2014, 12:35 PM

25,024 posts, read 27,870,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
Your confusing nationalism and separatism ... they are two very different matters. For instance in Quebec there are many people who are Quebec nationalists but who vehemently oppose Quebec separatism. The Quebec Liberal Party and CAQ fall into this category - both parties make up over 2/3 of the electorate.

Spain and the UK both have official langues other than Spanish and English at the regional level:

Scotland - English, Scottish Gaelic
Wales - English, Welsh
Northern Ireland - English, Irish Gaelic

Catalonia - Spanish, Catalan
Basque Country - Spanish, Basque
Don't forget in Spain you also have Galicia, which speaks a language that some consider to be a dialect of Portuguese, that is the mother tongue of my great great grandparents, Galician that is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius Maximus View Post
Although English has been the first language of settled America since the 1600's, Americans with mother tongues other than English has been very common throughout American history with the sole exception of the middle third of the 20th century. High-ranking Confederate P.G.T. Beauregard's mother tongue was French and he didn't even speak English until he was sent to a school in NYC at the age of 12; he was born well after statehood in 1818 and his first language was French. Louisiana's primary language was French for generations after statehood, and one could encounter in New Orleans older people that didn't speak English as recently as the 1940's. German was America's second language from its founding until the World Wars; in the 19th and early 20th centuries it was common for Americans to be educated all or partly in German.

Many native-born Wisconsinites didn't even speak English as late as 1910. Spanish was the first language of the Desert Southwest for generations after the Mexican-American War, only being displaced by English when migration came in from other parts of the U.S. as the 20th century began; unlike the German and French speakers the Spanish-speakers of the Southwest continued as a viable community until the migrations of the later part of the 20th century swelled their numbers.

Indeed, and from the same website:
You and me are liars for pointing that out. P.M. This is what I said in a previous post, and was called a liar. Thank you for sourcing my claim, which as you notice, was conveniently glossed over by Oldglory and gang. All him and his co-thinkers want to do is stick their fingers in their ears and start yelling I'm not listening! I'll repeat what I said a couple pages back, the myth of the 18th and 19th century immigrant that came here to eagerly become Americans and readily learned English in short order while adopting the ways of the US is a complete and utter fabrication, a romanticized view of history that never happened for the overwhelming majority. It is revisionist history, and even in 2014 in my county, there are Amish families who refuse to assimilate into mainstream America, and speak Pennsylvania Dutch at home as their primary language.

Old 10-09-2014, 12:40 PM

By the way, what do Oldglory, packard fan, and everyone else on here that shares their opinion, think about the Amish that live in my state that refuse to assimilate into mainstream America, and speak English at home? One of my close friends is Amish, and his first language isn't English, it's Pennsylvania Dutch (a dialect of German for those that don't know), and he speaks it at home with his family and friends, and their schools teach English as a foreign language

Old 10-09-2014, 12:41 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,083,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Well, progressives think every thing was worse in the past. Abortion, gay marriage, teens being provided with condoms so they can have sex, illegal aliens, etc. according to them are all big improvements today.
Abortion rates have no actually increased, gay marriage has caused no problems and has given people who want to get married the right to do so, and teens are not given condoms SO they can have sex, but for WHEN they do have sex, it will be safer.

Illegal immigration is a problem, though I don't know of anyone who's called that an improvement.

Old 10-09-2014, 12:57 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,865,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
By the way, what do Oldglory, packard fan, and everyone else on here that shares their opinion, think about the Amish that live in my state that refuse to assimilate into mainstream America, and speak English at home? One of my close friends is Amish, and his first language isn't English, it's Pennsylvania Dutch (a dialect of German for those that don't know), and he speaks it at home with his family and friends, and their schools teach English as a foreign language
Amish DON'T have the rep of calling attention to themselves and, probably ALL of the are US citizens. It's called laying low.

Yeah I know about their funky clothes and horse carriages but they ain't troublemakers.

Old 10-09-2014, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Amish DON'T have the rep of calling attention to themselves and, probably ALL of the are US citizens. It's called laying low.

Yeah I know about their funky clothes and horse carriages but they ain't troublemakers.
Oh so they are exempted. Why aren't Puerto Ricans exempted? I'm as much a citizen as the Amish are, yet Oldglory and others have gotten pissed at me because I speak Spanish at work, with other Puerto Ricans. So, why do the Amish get a pass and I don't?

Old 10-09-2014, 01:01 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,321,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
They aren't trying to push their customs and language nationally are they ?

Old 10-09-2014, 01:04 PM

3,478 posts, read 7,241,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Mexico is not in Latin America, a place that does not actually exist, they are part of North America, heck even Central America is consider part of North America, hence Spanish is as much a language of North America as English is.
Mexico is a part of Latin America - I don't get this response?

Old 10-09-2014, 01:07 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,321,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Mexico is not in Latin America, a place that does not actually exist, they are part of North America, heck even Central America is consider part of North America, hence Spanish is as much a language of North America as English is.
Maybe not in your world but the rest of us learned that Latin America does include Mexico.

Latin America - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
It consists of twenty two nations which cover an area that stretches from the southern border of the United States to the southern tip of South America, including the Caribbean.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.