Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2014, 02:53 PM

1,989 posts, read 2,522,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Not really the issue of our time, more like a movement to getting gays the same rights and benefits enjoyed by the rest of America, something the Dems tend to agree with and Cons not so much, hence the support most give to the Dems over the GOP. Some here can whine about the DNC owes gays an apology for their past deeds, what is interesting that those same people demanding the apology belong to a Party that is still working on the list of things they need to apology to gays for.
It'd be nice to get this one over with. Most Americans don't care (which means they support it) but you have a vocal few making a mess of it. Heck, I supported SS marriage even before Dick Cheney did I'm guessing there might be some other issues we could discuss however.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2014, 02:53 PM

1,735 posts, read 946,351 times
I find it amusing that Dick Cheney was in favor of same sex marriage before President Obama was.

Old 10-08-2014, 02:58 PM

79,902 posts, read 43,880,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
Basically, here is my point:

The GOP gets hammered for being anti-gay. And rightly so.

The Democrats get some sort of a pass because they've "evolved" on the issue. Yet as a group, they have made zero acknowledgement that at least SOME Democrats might have been involved, as recently as a decade ago, in the anti-gay marriage movement.

I want to call the attention that as a voting bloc, Dems are maybe like 10 years ahead of the GOP on gay marriage. That's it.

There are obviously people alive today whose marriage rights Democrats were responsible for violating. These Democrats (the majority of Democrats as recently as a decade ago) don't deserve a free pass despite that THEY changed their views. Just changing your views isn't an apology. Democrats need to take responsibility for their actions and recognize Democrats were apart of the problem up until very recently.

You say the GOP is insane and bigoted for being anti-gay marriage. At one time, as recently as 1996, the majority of Democrats voted for DADT and DOMA. Were they insane and bigoted too? Do you not see the hypocrisy in your actions? You should engage with anti-gay GOPers in a spirit of charity, rather than the "nanny nanny boo boo my side won" crap that's been coming out of the left.
I never said that. I've stated over and over that I believe both major parties are hypocritical whores.

Old 10-08-2014, 02:58 PM

15,083 posts, read 20,396,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
At least Democrats are apologizing, where is the apologies from the Republicans?
In either case, apologies are just words. The best way to make amends is to actually do something like ending opposition to it and making it legal (which is happening). In 50 years no one is going to care and/or remember which party is responsible.

[personally, apologies don't really do anything]

Old 10-08-2014, 03:00 PM

46,001 posts, read 34,997,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralZone View Post
I find it amusing that Dick Cheney was in favor of same sex marriage before President Obama was.
Yeah, he became in support of it when his daughter came out as gay. That always tends to change a person's view when they have a personal connection to someone who is gay.

Old 10-08-2014, 03:00 PM

15,047 posts, read 8,819,266 times
Quote:

The Democrats get some sort of a pass because they've "evolved" on the issue. Yet as a group, they have made zero acknowledgement that at least SOME Democrats might have been involved, as recently as a decade ago, in the anti-gay marriage movement.

I want to call the attention that as a voting bloc, Dems are maybe like 10 years ahead of the GOP on gay marriage. That's it.

See, there are obviously people alive today whose marriage rights Democrats were responsible for violating. These Democrats (the majority of Democrats as recently as a decade ago) don't deserve a free pass despite that THEY changed their views. Just changing your views isn't an apology. Democrats need to take responsibility for their actions and recognize Democrats were apart of the problem up until very recently.

You say the GOP is insane and bigoted for being anti-gay marriage. At one time, as recently as 1996, the majority of Democrats voted for DADT and DOMA. Were they insane and bigoted too? Do you not see the hypocrisy in your actions? You should engage with anti-gay GOPers in a spirit of charity, rather than the "nanny nanny boo boo my side won" crap that's been coming out of the left.
There's this thing called "progress." It's what happens when people move forward in their thinking. It has happened again and again over time on a variety of issues. There was a time when people viewed women as not having the mental capacity to vote, but we PROGRESSED past that view. Did women demand that every man apologize to them for thinking that? No, that would be silly, since it was the widely held view of the day.

You should look up the word. You might learn something.

But then, if you are a Conservative, the idea of progress is probably anathema to you, so it's understandable why it would be such a difficult concept for you to grasp.

Old 10-08-2014, 03:02 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,852,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aplcr0331 View Post
It'd be nice to get this one over with. Most Americans don't care (which means they support it) but you have a vocal few making a mess of it. Heck, I supported SS marriage even before Dick Cheney did I'm guessing there might be some other issues we could discuss however.
Correct, I would love to see it resolved and everyone move past it. Yes, there are many other issues facing the Nation, such as how to reduce the wasteful spending and installing a good long term budget. I would also say the same goes for Abortion, time to get the issue resolved.

Old 10-08-2014, 03:03 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,852,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralZone View Post
The issue was a lot more personal for him, so no real surprise there.

Old 10-08-2014, 03:07 PM

2,572 posts, read 4,229,237 times
Quote:

There are obviously people alive today whose marriage rights Democrats were responsible for violating. These Democrats (the majority of Democrats as recently as a decade ago) don't deserve a free pass despite that THEY changed their views. Just changing your views isn't an apology. Democrats need to take responsibility for their actions and recognize Democrats were apart of the problem up until very recently.

You are absolutely clueless!

Old 10-08-2014, 03:45 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,724,419 times
Quote:
Because it's the prominent issue for Democrats.
Maybe for SOME Democrats. I rather think that Democrats, like Republicans, are individuals each with their own priorities. They aren't clones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies