Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2014, 10:58 AM

16,556 posts, read 10,630,149 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
Aside from that, some churches happily marry gays - so your insistence that the law be tailored not merely to religion but to your interpretation of your religion is utterly self-absorbed and narcissistic. Get over yourself.
Yes, some churches do indeed marry gays -- and I'll spare you my opinion of those churches. What I find amusing is that because you happen to feel that people of the same sex should be allowed to legally marry, you reduce the opposing view -- a view that is taught by every major religion, has been enshrined in every major legal code, and has held sway across every single major society in the entire world for the entirety of recorded human history, up until the last decade or so -- down to nothing more than my own self-absorbed interpretation of my own personal religion.

My narcissism is matched only by your breathtaking arrogance. But thanks for the rueful chuckle.

Old 10-11-2014, 12:28 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,497,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
I am not in the least bit threatened by inheritance issues, hospital visitation rights, etc. If you want to leave your estate to your same-sex partner, or your cat, or the ACLU, or the Daughters of the American Revolution, it's no skin off my nose.

What I object to is the co-opting of the sacrament of marriage, as a God-ordained union of one man and one woman, and trying to make it something that it was never created to be. Call it a partnership, call it a civil union, or whatever. But marriage was created by God, not the government, and He gets to decide what it does and does not entail. THAT is why so many people object to gay "marriage."
Then talk to the USA government. I'm a newlywed (straight). Two weeks in. We had a judge come to the house, not a religious ceremony (though we are both religious in our own ways). Civil ceremony. Do you object to our marriage?

Old 10-11-2014, 07:16 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,814,649 times
Quote:
Yes, some churches do indeed marry gays -- and I'll spare you my opinion of those churches. What I find amusing is that because you happen to feel that people of the same sex should be allowed to legally marry, you reduce the opposing view -- a view that is taught by every major religion, has been enshrined in every major legal code, and has held sway across every single major society in the entire world for the entirety of recorded human history, up until the last decade or so -- down to nothing more than my own self-absorbed interpretation of my own personal religion.

My narcissism is matched only by your breathtaking arrogance. But thanks for the rueful chuckle.
I don't attend any church. But I do stand up for the right for churches to conduct themselves as they see fit.

See, that's the difference between you and I. With you, it's all about you. What your religion dictates matters. What you want matters, and you want the law to force others to abide by what you and your religion demand. I support the expansion of liberty, while you just snottily pout that the law no longer forces other to toe your religious line.

That's what makes you such a self-absorbed narcissist.

As an aside, the fact that you think supporting liberty over your petty myopic demands is arrogance demonstrates that you really haven't much of a clue what any of those words you use actually mean.

Old 10-13-2014, 03:37 PM

3,338 posts, read 6,900,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
Yeah, thanks for holding up same sex marriage for thousands of people in Nevada and Arizona with your states certain to lose appeal to deny equal rights to all Americans. Shame on you for allowing your ignorant Governor and Attorney General to continue dragging this out, hurting people and wasting YOUR tax money. Even Utah knew when to quit.

That is all. Thanks for the opportunity to vent.

Whoops - this was supposed to go in "Politics and Controversies" LOL Mod can you please move it. Thx.
Relax and focus your anger elsewhere. The Courts have ended the issue in Idaho as they have in most other states. It was the Governor who was fighting...not Idaho. Shame on you for judging the populace of the state based on the Gov and not understanding that a Gov is going do do what she or he wants regardless of the citizens opinions.

9th Circuit lifts stay; same-sex marriage will begin Wednesday

9th Circuit lifts stay; same-sex marriage will begin Wednesday

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWillys View Post
Idaho has the largest per capita extremists, and hate groups of any state. It is only natural for the closed minded to support GOP ideals that promote bigotry.
Completely idiodic comment Willys. Your post is hyperbole at its best. I see you live in Nevada which only has one less defined hate group than Idaho per the Southern Poverty Law Center. Some of the groups in Idaho have like 3 members lol.
I see Nevada has a Ku Klux Klan hate group and a Nation of Islam hate group. You better be careful in Nevada. Yikes. Looks like you have more to worry about besides running out of water.

I bet there is more racism on any given day in Las Vegas compared to the entire of state of Idaho in an entire year.

Old 10-13-2014, 03:48 PM

3,762 posts, read 5,423,774 times
Quote:
I am not in the least bit threatened by inheritance issues, hospital visitation rights, etc. If you want to leave your estate to your same-sex partner, or your cat, or the ACLU, or the Daughters of the American Revolution, it's no skin off my nose.

What I object to is the co-opting of the sacrament of marriage, as a God-ordained union of one man and one woman, and trying to make it something that it was never created to be. Call it a partnership, call it a civil union, or whatever. But marriage was created by God, not the government, and He gets to decide what it does and does not entail. THAT is why so many people object to gay "marriage."
People were getting married long before God called Abram to leave his family and country. And many of them worshiped carved objects by a mans hand as a god. Plenty of men and women don't even believe in the Christian God and they still are allowed to get married.

Old 10-13-2014, 04:02 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,814,649 times
Quote:
Attorney General Lawrence Wasden says his office, along with Ada County Clerk Christopher Rich and the state of Idaho, do not oppose lifting the stay. Wasden said that does not mean the state will not pursue further legal action.

Otter, however, repeated his prior arguments in Monday's filing, implying he will continue fighting gay marriage in Idaho.

Otter also added that approving gay marriage would "dissuade" Idaho voters from participating in elections because it would allow the federal government to overturn state laws.
Appeals court lifts Idaho's stay on same-sex marriage | Idaho Politics | Idahostatesman.com

Clearly, Butch Otter is not an attorney. What a profoundly moronic argument - the judicial branch of the federal government has always had the power to nullify state laws when it determined the violated the United States Constitution.

One wonders to what extent Otter himself is a fool, or if he knows exactly what is going on but is merely pandering to the votes of fools who don't, in fact, know any better?

Either way, what an embarrassment...

Old 10-13-2014, 04:59 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,365,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juneaubound View Post
Here's a map that looks very different from the one you posted:

http://www.splcenter.org/get-informed/hate-map
Since both maps come from the same source, it looks to me that the differences are in numbers of individuals vs. numbers of groups.

The SPLC has plenty experience with both lone wolves and groups.

Old 10-14-2014, 06:34 AM

10,232 posts, read 6,319,495 times
Quote:

A straight couple goes to a court and gets a marriage license. Did they just receive a sacrament? Nope, they have a contract. Or maybe, whether they believe in it or not, god blesses their union anyway because they meet his "approval" of one man and one woman? Or maybe straight couples, who don't marry in a church, have a Civil Union, and not a Marriage?????

Religion has nothing to do with marriage; for gays, or for straights.

Old 10-14-2014, 03:59 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,365,741 times
Quote:
Appeals court lifts Idaho's stay on same-sex marriage | Idaho Politics | Idahostatesman.com

Clearly, Butch Otter is not an attorney. What a profoundly moronic argument - the judicial branch of the federal government has always had the power to nullify state laws when it determined the violated the United States Constitution.

One wonders to what extent Otter himself is a fool, or if he knows exactly what is going on but is merely pandering to the votes of fools who don't, in fact, know any better?

How much of a fool is Otter? If he was a guitar amplifier, his control knob would go all the way to 12.

Old 10-14-2014, 07:19 PM

1,956 posts, read 3,635,987 times
Quote:

Oh, I'm sure he knows what's going on and is pandering for votes. Unfortunately, Idaho has a lot of idiots who will vote for anyone with an R after their name, no matter how crazy, corrupt and/or cynical they are. Hell, Mark Patterson managed to get elected and he pleaded guilty to assault with intent to commit rape. To be fair, it didn't come out until after the election, but he still refused to step down.

I'm thoroughly disgusted with the local-level politicians here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies