Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2014, 12:12 PM

14,858 posts, read 8,161,470 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkane2 View Post
You did not answer my question............ Which country would you rather be invaded by.
Well, your question wasn't the question asked in regards to the video you originally posted. It was an arbitrary question with no real meaning. You gave only four options. How about you ask me if I want to be invaded by Norway, Denmark, or Australia? I bet there are a lot of Americans that wouldn't mind this country being invaded by some of those countries.

Regardless, the original video was asking a question about which is a bigger threat to world peace. I think the college students gave the correct answer. In fact, they kept placing emphasis on the word "world" when giving their answer.

I am sure if you were asking who was the bigger threat to Iraqi or Syrian or Israeli peace, they probably would have said ISIS.

Regardless, you are taking offense to an answer that was given, which is probably the correct answer.

It doesn't mean America is "evil". It just means America's foreign policy might be doing more harm than good. America doesn't have to invade every country on Earth. And it is very likely that if America had never invaded Iraq to begin with, there wouldn't even be an ISIS right now.

Old 10-10-2014, 01:13 PM

18,873 posts, read 14,066,729 times
Default Classic versus New

LIBERAL, “Classic” versus “Neo”

The Classic Liberal (18th century) supported ideas such as free and fair elections, freedom of the press, freedom of religion, free trade, and a right to life, liberty, and private property ownership.

The NeoLiberal (21st century) supports ideas such as social justice, expropriation of property for the benefit of the needy, compelled labor for the benefit of another, and government management of the economy. Those ideas are contrary to classical liberalism, and are an assault upon absolute ownership of private property, natural and personal liberty and the freedom to exercise same.

Old 10-10-2014, 01:59 PM

8,104 posts, read 3,937,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
The guy in the hat actually does have a point, and that is that while America may not be evil, American actions to at times destabilize regions and lead to conflict that we later have to come back and address.

American actions based on American interests helped ISIS to blossom...same as they originally helped Saddam and Bin Laden blossom before having to turn against them.

We're the ones who needlessly invaded Iraq on false pretenses, blew up the power structure in the whole place, implemented some shaky puppet government, and left hoping for the best. That's what created the power vaccuum that allowed a group like ISIS to take advantage in the first place.

ISIS is more evil than America, but without the help of American actions, these guys would not be as big a threat as they are today.

Good Post

There are those that preach about responsibility and all of a sudden drop it when it comes to our meddling with other nations and the consequences it has.

Old 10-10-2014, 04:54 PM

4,019 posts, read 3,936,614 times
The US govt created ISIS which makes it just as bad.

Old 10-10-2014, 05:07 PM

79,907 posts, read 43,959,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
As much as I’d like to be angry at the ignorance of these kids… How much can you really blame them? They have been brainwashed by the progressive education system their whole lives. That’s tough to undo, even if they eventually develop critical thinking skills.
Maybe they have seen their brothers come home in body bags and no one has told them why.

Old 10-10-2014, 06:59 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,074,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkane2 View Post
ISIS is gaining more and more territory.........they're doing very well right now.......you ARE reading the news aren't you??

ISIS gaining ground despite airstrikes – The Lead with Jake Tapper - CNN.com Blogs

And they are raping, and cutting off heads........

So you are serious??
Well, first of all, there is no 'news' anymore; there's only the media, which most of us know that they big everything up so they can present it as a juicy and serious story. So I wouldn't be trusting the news, especially if it's CNN.

You asked who I'd rather invade. The answer is ISIS. Why? ISIS is a group of a thousand, maybe, guys with guns. If they invaded, we'd have the largest army on Earth to fight back and they wouldn't get past Texas. Now, let's use the most dangerous example you asked as an alternative, the US. Assuming they target the same people ISIS would in an invasion (everyone who doesn't agree with them), the bloodshed would be massive, even if I allow the US to still have it's own military to defend against it's military (so, two US militaries fighting each other; the scenario doesn't have to make sense given the extreme nature of the question).

ISIS is not capable of what the US is. This is a fact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
You aren't actually considering intent when you say if the US dropped a bomb on Russia, because we have no intent of doing it = there is no threat of that happening. However, 19 Al Qaeda members killed thousands in NYC after a series of smaller attacks and ultimately sparked a war.

As for the two domains of intent and ability, you could create a graph with each on one axis and where they intersected would equal their threat level. The US has zero intent on doing the things you mention so there is no threat. ISIS has taken over towns in Iraq and Syria and by doing so have pulled people into a war (if we can call it that). This threat is greater than the threat of the US attacking Russia because one is going to happen and the other is not.

When evaluating a level of threat, you can't draw equivalence and leave out intent simply to knock size and power. To bring it to a smaller level of the same equation, my neighbor with a shotgun is not a threat to me, but a 16 year old kid intent on sucker punching me and knocking me out might be.
The US might not have any intent of ending the world, but that does not mean we aren't threatening. As it's been pointed out, much of what led up to the formation ISIS was due to US involvement and failed foreign policy. Perhaps negligence should be another factor?

Once more, ISIS can't end world peace. It is literally unable to. They are a regional threat. They occupy parts of Syria and Iraq that probably adds up to being about the side of Georgia, maybe. No, the US does not have any intent on ending the world. This means it is not an immediate threat. Just as ISIS is not able to do much outside of their Georgia-size section of the Iraq and Syria does not make them an immediate threat. But, let's say we have a change in leadership and political ideology in 4 years. The US could find an intent to end world peace and successfully do that. ISIS, with the same factors, could not. Even if ISIS grows exponentially, they still wouldn't become a world threat; just a larger still regional threat. Thus, the US is a larger threat to world peace simply by a size comparison.

Old 10-10-2014, 07:41 PM

10,815 posts, read 14,880,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA View Post
It's Harvard or Yale or Princeton or whatever in liberalville. What did you expect?
About what we got.

Old 10-10-2014, 08:04 PM

17,505 posts, read 17,401,571 times
Liberals hate USA while supporting our nation's enemies.

Old 10-10-2014, 08:05 PM

79,907 posts, read 43,959,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Liberals hate USA while supporting our nation's enemies.
What did the people of Iraq do to us?

Old 10-10-2014, 08:22 PM
AT9

691 posts, read 1,215,150 times
The question, as the students noted, was which is a greater threat to WORLD PEACE, not "which is more 'evil.'". I'm sick of my fellow conservatives unquestionably re-posting this video without listening to the students' nuanced responses, which IMO, are fairly reasonable (even if I don't agree). Also, if these were the most extreme student perspectives they could find at Harvard, then maybe we're not in such bad shape as OP suggests.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies