Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you vote for a Muslim President?
Yes (If they fit my political beliefs) 83 32.94%
No 161 63.89%
Not sure 8 3.17%
Voters: 252. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2014, 08:58 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,842,780 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
No. It has nothing to do with what the religion is. It has to do with if those religious beliefs dictate policy or not. I wouldn't vote for anyone of any religion that pushed their religion as policy. I would be open to voting for anyone of any religion who did not push their religion as policy.

Like JFK,or even a secular President!

Old 10-14-2014, 08:59 AM

13,943 posts, read 5,615,884 times
If anyone makes religion the central theme of their campaign, such that they must proclaim it as part of their platform, then no. And I don't care if they are Muslim, Catholic (like me), atheist, or worship Lord Xenu, the Flying Spaghetti Monster and the dread lord Cthulhu.

In a land where there is no religious test for office and our very 1st Amendment says freedom of religion and the free exercise thereof, I don't care about your religion and I don't want to care about it. If you care so much about religion that must proclaim it as part of a political campaign, then I fear you for religious tyrant and will not give you my consent to govern.

Old 10-14-2014, 09:01 AM

19,013 posts, read 14,188,739 times
Islam is intolerant of other religions and legal systems.
Any muslim president would be ideologically opposed to the U.S. Constitution, freedom and liberty.
Infidel legal systems are at odds with Shari'a.

Old 10-14-2014, 09:17 AM

6,542 posts, read 4,092,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
Come again? We sent $3B to Israel, so saying we send "all of our money" is dishonest. It's no more than spit in a bucket. We send $40B a year in foreign aid, and we get far less from all the other countries, then we get from Israel. Consider we have billions in trade interests with them to protect. It's simple minded to have such a simplistic view of something so multidimensional.
All of it was obviously exaggerated. It was so obvious that I didn't even think I needed to address that it was. I was wrong.

I think we spend too much on foreign aid as it is. We have our own problems here. A country that is struggling to take care of itself shouldn't be expected to take care of the rest of the world. I'm not saying we need to or should cut all foreign aid, but we should still cut down on what we spend on basically everything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
As for that last ridiculously wacko assumption: The majority of Christians are not literalists. You may pat yourself on the back for believing otherwise, but it is a misguided belief. Ironic, your belief is as misguided as the tiny minority of Christians you place all of us with.

Hint: a year is a thousand years to God. 6000x1000=6M years, at the very least, using your fictitious number. The Hebrew calendar is at 5775 recorded years and is a hybrid of the Babylonian calendar, rendering the 6000 year old earth a ridiculous notion from anyone, of any belief.
Didn't say I thought they were. I fact, my very point was that most aren't. So suggest Islam can't be the same is to put Christianity in a different category as Islam. They have more in common than they do differences, so doing that is not sensible. Even if the majority of Muslims are sympathizers with the extremists, that doesn't have to be how it is forever. Show them less hostility and offer them a second chance (this does not mean converting them to one fantasy to the other). If they refuse, so be it. But many I'm sure won't, certainly those who are not first generation immigrants.

Old 10-14-2014, 09:18 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,822,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xboxmas View Post
Just thought it would be interesting to see how many would and wouldn't. Feel free to explain your reasoning.
51% did...twice.

Old 10-14-2014, 09:19 AM

6,542 posts, read 4,092,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Conspicuously, you did not answer the question: What would make you think a full-blown Muslim would have less enthusiasm for Muslim affairs than our current worthless Muslim sympathizing President?

Reagan, Bush, et al have no place in this conversation. That you brought them into the conversation tells me that you have nothing.
I did answer the question. As I said, not all Christians agree with the most extreme Christian views. Islam is no different. They won't all agree on anything.

Old 10-14-2014, 09:28 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,929,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDusty View Post
I did answer the question. As I said, not all Christians agree with the most extreme Christian views. Islam is no different. They won't all agree on anything.
You are attempting to use logic with the illogical, it is a pointless effort, they make up their own rules as they go and facts and logic are not part of the required ingredients.

Old 10-14-2014, 09:49 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,930,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
If anyone makes religion the central theme of their campaign, such that they must proclaim it as part of their platform, then no. And I don't care if they are Muslim, Catholic (like me), atheist, or worship Lord Xenu, the Flying Spaghetti Monster and the dread lord Cthulhu.

In a land where there is no religious test for office and our very 1st Amendment says freedom of religion and the free exercise thereof, I don't care about your religion and I don't want to care about it. If you care so much about religion that must proclaim it as part of a political campaign, then I fear you for religious tyrant and will not give you my consent to govern.
The biggest problem is getting to know the background of the person before they run. The "you are so handsome, I don't know what to say" that Presidents are now getting is disturbing.

Everyone has a religion, even if they admire their own thinking. We never know how strong until they have POWER over ALL the PEOPLE.

Old 10-14-2014, 09:55 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,930,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
You are attempting to use logic with the illogical, it is a pointless effort, they make up their own rules as they go and facts and logic are not part of the required ingredients.
Is a Muslim different than an Iman and would the Iman have to reveal that he is Iman?

Like this guy people could vote him in.....try to tell him he isn't the "real deal" and see how he answers you!

“This Sharia law business is crap. It’s just crazy. And I’m tired of dealing with the crazies.” ~ New Jersey Governor Chris Christie (supporter of NJ imam who is calling for sharia law in the U.S.)

Christie could win! I happen to listen to the leaders of Islam, not the lone wolves.

Old 10-14-2014, 09:56 AM

26,562 posts, read 14,434,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
Islam is intolerant of other religions .....
same could be said of christianity.

Deuteronomy 17:1-5

“And hath gone and served other gods, and worshipped them, either the sun, or moon, or any of the host of heavens, which I have not commanded. Then shalt thou bring forth that man or that woman, which have committed that wicked thing and shalt stone them with stones, till they die”.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies