Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2014, 01:24 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,598,192 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
You say to make education a priority yet we gut our public education system and completely ignore the students and their needs. College tuition has increased over 1,120% and more people than ever are College-educated today. Nationless corporations like Wells Fargo do not have allegiance to any nation-nor their workers. Wells Fargo stock would go up if they had mass lay offs in The US-the biggest employers in this country do not have the interest of the American people nor any people at heart. They are like modern day pirates. Of the 100 largest economies today there are more nationless corporations than ENTIRE NATIONS!

I think most of you live in la-la land.
What do you mean when you say "we gut our public education system and completely ignore the students and their needs"? Specifics please.

Yes, the average college tuition has increased. Why?

The vast majority of corporations have but one purpose, to make money for it's investors. They should, and most do, perform this task in a moral and lawful way. If you want to start a corporation for the purpose of employing people and paying taxes, you are free to do so. Why haven't you gotten like-minded people together to do so?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2014, 01:28 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,924,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
I don't get you people.

You say unions are bad, and that you can better represent yourself to your employer without a union.

You say that your worth shouldn't be determined by what you coworkers do, but by your own production.

Ok...so someone exercises the right to ask for more money without a union, and you're STILL p*ssing and moaning.

I thought that Americans retained the right to ask their bosses for a raise?

I guess not. Well...to conservatives anyway. SMH
Crazy, isn't it?

Old 10-13-2014, 01:31 PM

23,856 posts, read 24,091,732 times
Quote:
Probably a one-time bonus.
They'll be expecting that any time you have (what they perceive to be) a good year, or big sale, or whatever triggered your generosity in that instance.

Quote:
Employees are not as childish as you make them seem
How / when did I "make them seem" childish? I'm just laying out reality for you.

Quote:
Employees know when a company is doing well and when it is not-they are the BACKBONE which nobody seems to understand.
Why do you say that nobody understands that employees are important? Employers know it better than anyone - if they didn't need the work they're doing performed, they wouldn't have offered the job in the first place.

What YOU'RE not seeming to understand is the fact that a task can be performed by anyone who's properly trained to perform it. Employees are necessary to a business, but a SPECIFIC employee rarely is.

Quote:
They will be perfectly fine with being rewarded when the company is doing great and not being rewarded when the company is not.
And I'm sure that in your reality, they're perfectly fine with not receiving a paycheck at all, if the company isn't doing great, right?

Oh, they still expect that paycheck, even when times are rough?

Quote:
If you are a good employer and have a business model that the employees want to be apart of they will even take temporary cuts when the business is not succeeding.
Been there, done that. And my answer to that question had nothing to do with the company's business model.

The question in that situation isn't, "Do you like our business model well enough to accept a pay cut?" The question is, "Do you want to try and find another job that will pay at least as well in the current economy, or do you want to accept a pay cut?" Most people will stick with the guarantee and take the pay cut.

One other thing worth mentioning - there is NO employee loyalty anymore. None. An employee will drop you like a hot potato if they get an offer for half a buck more per hour. Employers, on the other hand, have a vested interest in retaining employees. There's an entire industry built around employee retention. When are the employees going to catch the same kind of flack for quitting that employers get for laying off?

Old 10-13-2014, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
What do you mean when you say "we gut our public education system and completely ignore the students and their needs"? Specifics please.

Yes, the average college tuition has increased. Why?

The vast majority of corporations have but one purpose, to make money for it's investors. They should, and most do, perform this task in a moral and lawful way. If you want to start a corporation for the purpose of employing people and paying taxes, you are free to do so. Why haven't you gotten like-minded people together to do so?
New Orleans is a good example of the privatization of education-and just about everything else. It is what the globalist Neocons or what they call neoliberalists in Europe advocate. Obama, Bush, Clinton, Bush and Reagan have all been on-board with the trend.

The privatization of New Orleans schools is almost complete

How students are being set up to fail - The Washington Post

Global banks do not perform said task in a moral or lawful way; I'm sorry you think that. I am involved with many groups that share my views and earn a pretty good living now so I have no interest in starting a corporation, although I have plans for LLCs.

Last edited by 2e1m5a; 10-13-2014 at 01:50 PM..

Old 10-13-2014, 01:35 PM

29,444 posts, read 14,623,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
"Every single one" or just the tellers and lower paid people? I'm pretty sure that the CEO isn't going to be walking away, so you need to elaborate on exactly what you mean by "every single one of those employee's[sic]".
Context is a great thing, why would the CEO walk away ?

If all the lower paid people, tellers etc. walked off the job would the shareholders pick up where they left off ? Doubtful, right ? I think in many cases CEO's , upper managment etc. lose track of who really does do the work in some companies. Your statement "If someone - anyone - wants to share in its success, all they have to do is buy stock! What a great system." struck a cord with me. The employees are the backbone of a company, without them work pretty much stops.

**Okay, I just read a reply you made to another poster and I think I misinterpreted what you had originally meant.**

Old 10-13-2014, 01:36 PM

23,856 posts, read 24,091,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
Wells Fargo is a public company. The CEO didn't start it, didn't pour his entire life into it, didn't contribute a nickle (unless he purchased stock). He didn't have to work every minute of free time he had, and likely has plenty of time to play golf, or hang out on his yacht. I guarantee you he's had vacations, sick days, and CLEARLY has had raises.

So what was your point?
Go buy some glasses. My point was clear.

Old 10-13-2014, 01:42 PM

Multinational is really an Orwellian term. It should be "nationless" as these corporations are more like pirates and have no allegiance to any one nation.

Old 10-13-2014, 01:45 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,707,495 times
Man makes $15/ hr and is employed full time and is expected to work OT at $22.50/hr, plus good benefits.

Creating an opportunity to demonstrate the bank has a heart is not a compelling argument for a raise

I think there are tens of millions as capable and competent in India willing to do the job for a fraction of his comp.

Old 10-13-2014, 01:48 PM

5,562 posts, read 5,680,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Nobody pays attention.

Wells Fargo has repaid their bailout loans, and the government made a PROFIT of over 831 MILLION DOLLARS from their combined loans, with another 1.4 billion still on the table.

Bailout List: Banks, Auto Companies, and More | Eye on the Bailout | ProPublica

Yeah! Those evil banksters should pay back that bailout money!

Where did the money come from? To bail them out....:-)
Let me ask you a different question if you are the banker of the government and the government then bails you out with "tax payer money" where is the money coming from. The government gets it money from the FED which are BANKS. The Banks bailed themselves out with money they created. EXAMPLE I need to pay some debits I print money and like magic I'm out of debit.

:-)

You people are so blind on where you think our money comes from its amazing and no wonder they continue to fool you with these bubbles.

Old 10-13-2014, 01:50 PM

29,444 posts, read 14,623,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Man makes $15/ hr and is employed full time and is expected to work OT at $22.50/hr, plus good benefits.

Creating an opportunity to demonstrate the bank has a heart is not a compelling argument for a raise

I think there are tens of millions as capable and competent in India willing to do the job for a fraction of his comp.
You are correct on this but it doesn't always mean a good thing for the company. I've gone thru this several times. We see the work get offshored, then screwed up then sent back to be done correctly. Not too much of a cost save there. Each industry is different though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies