Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2007, 07:25 AM

5,167 posts, read 11,434,314 times

Advertisements

I like it too :-). I think religion/or lack of it, is a private issue. I don't mind people putting up banners or decorations etc. Personally I don't care one bit in what you believe in, as long as it isn't pushed on me. I don't want to hear about your "God", so please keep it to yourself. The more people talk about "God" , the more suspicious I get, as my experience has been the more they talk the talk, the less they walk the walk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2007, 08:04 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,464,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeabeeBolt View Post
If the Churhes continue to breach the line and talk poltics, then they should be made to pay taxes like any other business.
Exactly. Them's the rules. You take the tax-exempt status, you stay away from overt politics. But some churches seem to believe that they live up to their responsibility as moral beacons by engaging in wanton criminality. Go figure.

And of course, it won't be too hard to find some who would go berserk if a Salvadoran didn't have his immigration papers exactly in order, but will look entirely the other way if their favored church or pastor is in serial violation of the tax code. Go figure again...

Old 12-31-2007, 08:17 AM

5,407 posts, read 7,792,673 times
Amazing how more and more of these "pastors" are being found driving around in BMWs with personal mansions, by conning their poor followers into giving them a nice chunk of their income. I don't think Jesus will approve of that, come their Day of Reckoning.

I think the Founding Fathers had the right idea to keep those con artists far away from our system of governance.

Old 12-31-2007, 09:00 AM

8,289 posts, read 13,559,257 times
churches should be taxed since they basically act like a business now anyways. Why give them special status? I never understood why they are tax exempt. I heard there is a town in Texas that has more churches than any other place in the US and they barely can function because they can't collect taxes from them.

Old 12-31-2007, 09:24 AM

1,281 posts, read 2,366,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzenfreund View Post
The more people talk about "God" , the more suspicious I get, as my experience has been the more they talk the talk, the less they walk the walk.
My experience has been that those who push it the most are trying to get that validation that their beliefs are the most correct. They lack the confidence in their belief so they try to get some type of governmental validation to confirm they are on the right path.

Old 01-01-2008, 11:39 AM

7,685 posts, read 13,137,511 times
Lightbulb Simple Answer

Churches just need to shut-up and teach about God only, and stay completly out of politics. Or, start paying taxes like everyone else.
To include 7 years of back taxes . Hey, the IRS can go back 7 yrs on the rest of us tax payers.

Old 01-02-2008, 03:59 AM

76 posts, read 209,172 times
One always goes back to the sources when interperting a document. However, by stating that there should be no religious test, it is saying that one should not consider the politician's religious views. Now one may dispute that and in that context the Founder's writings are most helpful. "...no religious Test shall ever be required as a Qualification to any Office or public Trust under the United States." Article VI, US Constitution

Old 01-02-2008, 07:49 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
Church is the place of spirit. Government is the place of power. Let them get together at your own risk. A religion that can enforce spirituality (attendance and tithing) with coercion of the state is a tyranny. A government that can justify coercion as god's will is also a tyranny. Tyrannies benefit only the tyrants.

Church and State must be kept apart.

Old 01-02-2008, 04:50 PM

7,685 posts, read 13,137,511 times
Thumbs up Good Point

[quote=GregW;2390961]Church is the place of spirit. Government is the place of power. Let them get together at your own risk. A religion that can enforce spirituality (attendance and tithing) with coercion of the state is a tyranny. A government that can justify coercion as god's will is also a tyranny. Tyrannies benefit only the tyrants.
Church and State must be kept apart.

BRAVO! BRAVO! BRAVO!

Old 01-02-2008, 05:24 PM

8,002 posts, read 18,601,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
Christmas is fine as long as you also allow other religions the same benefit. Are you willing to allow the Jews to hang menorahs in public places on passover? What about the muslims hanging whatever they hang (besides Saddam) for Ramadan? If they want to hang a 'HAPPY RAMADAN" banner in Arabic across Main street, are you OK with that?
I'm Ok with that. I think that would be wonderful to let everyone celebrate their religion. I'd have no problem with stores or schools or courthouses displaying these things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies