Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2014, 11:40 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,356,098 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by West of Encino View Post
It's very common for married people, especially married males, to shame and ridicule single men. They type that tries to convince men to get married, in a marriage where the wife is always right.

I'm truly sorry that any single person would be ridiculed or shamed for their relationship status. It's equally frustrating to read post after post declaring that there is no such thing as a happy marriage and that every such relationship is doomed to divorce. And if that's not bad enough, women are evil and will get everything. Sigh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2014, 11:41 AM

13,601 posts, read 21,385,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
I knew religion was going to come up. Here's the fascinating thing about my family and friends: none of us are particularly religious. Most of us are agnostic at best, although a few attend the local Methodist church, so I'm unconvinced that religion thwarts divorce. In fact, I seem to recall seeing a study awhile back that found higher divorce rates among conservative evangelicals than the religiously unaffiliated.
Well I just don't know why some in their circles find divorce the oddity and some find it common place.

But I can tell you why I never married, expectations. Probably too much expectation. That and afraid of failure when those expectations are not met either by me or her.

See I am the kind that runs away from responsibility but if I take on responsibility I take it on 100%. I don't want to be a parent but if I did I would do it 100% making my life secondary to my child. Want me to join your band?, I'll resist at first but then put 100% effort if I do. If I marry I want her to be the one forever more, with the right combination of personality , morals, yet sexually immoral for me, attractive to me (and I don't really like barbie model types) and have passions of her own besides it just being me. Haven't found that right combination yet to marry, some combinations to date yes, marry no.

I am the kind of person that when I want to socialize I'll go to your place, or to a function, or bar, or discussion forum and be friendly but when I want out and long to be alone and solo again I want to be able to jump in my car or log out and leave when I want to and I really enjoy a lot of alone time, especially when I rap myself into guitar.

Old 10-19-2014, 11:46 AM

14,480 posts, read 11,273,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
What do liberals have anything to do with it? Nice try but it's not relegated to a specific political party. What an absolutely stupid statement. Don't blame a political party for the downfall of your own marriage, look inside yourself.
It will break down party lines on this forum. Liberals here will say the demise of marriage is good, conservatives will say it is bad.

Old 10-19-2014, 11:50 AM

13,601 posts, read 21,385,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
I'm truly sorry that any single person would be ridiculed or shamed for their relationship status. It's equally frustrating to read post after post declaring that there is no such thing as a happy marriage and that every such relationship is doomed to divorce. And if that's not bad enough, women are evil and will get everything. Sigh.
Never said there is no such thing as a happy marriage, there is. But it is uncommon for it to stay that way during the entire course of life. In the past people had to stay in one even when they didn't want to. Its good that women (and men) are liberated that way now.

Of course divorce can be rough on a woman as well but it is true that overall laws are stacked in favor of the woman and generally a woman can recoup faster than a man.

Old 10-19-2014, 11:51 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,356,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
It will break down party lines on this forum. Liberals here will say the demise of marriage is good, conservatives will say it is bad.
Oh, please, my marriage has nothing to do with my particular political bent. Conservatives, liberals, and everyone in between can be found in successful marriages.

Old 10-19-2014, 01:23 PM

3,349 posts, read 2,846,093 times
Marriage is not for everyone
Society accept that for the most part
I like quietness and extra time to knit and crochet .

Old 10-19-2014, 08:10 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,525,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post

Old 10-19-2014, 08:12 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,525,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
Never said there is no such thing as a happy marriage, there is. But it is uncommon for it to stay that way during the entire course of life. In the past people had to stay in one even when they didn't want to. Its good that women (and men) are liberated that way now.

Of course divorce can be rough on a woman as well but it is true that overall laws are stacked in favor of the woman and generally a woman can recoup faster than a man.
I found that one rule to a happy marriage is COMMUNICATION!!!

Old 10-19-2014, 08:35 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,179,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Obamacare promotes single motherhood and discouraging marriage, an increase in poverty is inevitable. Just one more of the numerous financial incentives in current government policy that increasingly encourage individuals to reject marriage
LMAO.

Old 10-19-2014, 08:36 PM

7,492 posts, read 11,823,278 times
All the "serial-monogamists" are still paying off their first weddings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies