Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2014, 12:36 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,443,398 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post

That's what I've been thinking. There's no actual protocol. They're developing it as they go along!
Yeah, so?

Medical, and all, protocols constantly evolve based on lessons learned, the hard way.

The first US Ebola patient was admitted for treatment at Emroy on 8/2. They learned a lot that was not previously known based on those fighting Ebola in Africa. They continue to learn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2014, 12:41 PM

7,068 posts, read 6,416,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Texas health. They failed to recognize the disease and then did everything wrong that you possibly could. The CDC can only do so much. It is up to health providers to do the right thing when the time comes.
This is being handled like a Moe, Larry, Curly short.

And the fish rots from the head down.

I find it hard to believe with the number of people employed at the CDC why field visits weren't done by CDC staff to show hospital staff how to handle ebola, review with them the guidelines, practices, etc. And perhaps most importantly, it would have provided a 2nd level of quality control to make sure guidelines are being followed given how serious this matter is. Sure beats the ivory tower "leaders" playing the blame game that they seem to often favor in how to handle issues these days. It's embarrassing. And pathetic.

Old 10-15-2014, 12:43 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,443,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
They are heroes, truly. As are the health care professionals in Dallas caring for those infected and to be infected. Every single one of them.
Indeed.

Old 10-15-2014, 12:44 PM

12,270 posts, read 11,274,076 times
Dow down 450 points. Ebola fears are affecting market. From USA Today - "Investors' 2014 stock gains have evaporated under a broad-based Wednesday selloff, as fears over the slowing global economy, corporate earnings and the spreading Ebola virus rattled already skittish investors." Market indexes dive, erase 2014's gains

And I would argue the painfully lame response from the Obama administration isn't helping. His amnesty plan will be in tatters soon and you know the first comparisons to Katrina are going to be leveled.

Old 10-15-2014, 12:45 PM

7,785 posts, read 7,988,114 times
Just wait till this finds it's way into the drug addict community.We are in for it then.

Old 10-15-2014, 12:48 PM

8,746 posts, read 8,989,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
What you see in the Texas hospital is probably at all the other hospitals.
Here's an article about that.
My sister has told me the same thing. Inadequate training and no level 4 protective clothing.
Isolatioon is a room with a bathroom in it.

Nurses Say U.S. Hospitals Aren't Adequately Prepared To Handle Ebola Patients
Any hospital with a private room and bathroom is technically adequate for isolating and treating an Ebola patient, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. But to truly remove the risk of contracting the deadly virus among health workers requires meticulous work and years of repetitive drills and practice, according to nurses on the ground who also say that they are not receiving the proper training to protect themselves and their communities.

"We’ve been asking for training for protocols and we have not gotten it,” said Katy Roemer, RN, a nurse at Kaiser Oakland and a member of National Nurses United. "Pieces of paper are being handed to us with minimal instructions on it, and it’s not adequate to deal with a virus like Ebola.”
From the linked article above...."Seventy-six percent say their hospital hasn’t told them about any admission policy for Ebola patients. Eighty-five percent say their hospitals haven’t provided a forum for nurses to ask questions about their Ebola protocols". That's very disturbing.

I saw the chief of the national nurse's association on CNN this morning talking about this issue. She said the majority of nurses working in hospitals in this country are not prepared for Ebola. Most hospitals don't even have the resources in place to improve that.

So basically, only the very few hospitals with biocontainment units like the University of Nebraska Hospital and Emory University Hospital in Atlanta with highly trained staff and level 4 biohazard facilities are prepared for Ebola. That's the reality of the situation despite what the CDC has been saying.

Old 10-15-2014, 12:51 PM

16,847 posts, read 10,476,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
So let me see if I'm up to speed. For the past few weeks we were told that West Africans from affected countries pose no risk to Americans. A simple questionnaire would prevent a sick Ebola patient from traveling to America. Yet one Liberian who didn't appear to be sick, lied on the questionnaire and traveled to Dallas. He falls ill, goes to the ER but is sent packing with some antibiotics. He returns two days later and it's only then that doctors put the pieces together that he has Ebola.

The CDC director says that America will contain the spread of Ebola. We have protocols in place that will see to that. A quarantine of family members is ordered. When asked whether a travel ban should be issued to prevent flights from the affected region in Africa, he curtly answers it's not necessary. We must stop the disease over there that's the only way Americans would be safe. Besides you can't get Ebola on a plane or through casual contact.

Fast forward two weeks later. The Liberian patient is dead and two nurses that treated him have contracted Ebola, one of whom appears to be very ill. One nurse flew to Ohio and back while showing no symptoms. Now the CDC is scrambling to locate fellow passengers and its director sheepishly admits she shouldn't have flown. Why not? I thought the disease couldn't be spread in planes or casual contact, so why the alarm? Americans can't fly within the country but West Africans can fly in from affected regions, what am I missing? I know I don't have a degree in diseases but something is amiss here.
All excellent questions.

Old 10-15-2014, 12:51 PM

7,068 posts, read 6,416,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
And I would argue the painfully lame response from the Obama administration isn't helping. His amnesty plan will be in tatters soon and you know the first comparisons to Katrina are going to be leveled.
On that issue, I think this is the elephant in the room that has very ugly potential.

General Warns of 'Mass Migration' to U.S. if Ebola Comes to Americas

Old 10-15-2014, 12:52 PM

38,955 posts, read 50,866,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
Dow down 450 points. Ebola fears are affecting market. From USA Today - "Investors' 2014 stock gains have evaporated under a broad-based Wednesday selloff, as fears over the slowing global economy, corporate earnings and the spreading Ebola virus rattled already skittish investors." Market indexes dive, erase 2014's gains

I am not sure Ebola is to blame, but if Ebola does lead to losses for the wealthy, it surely won't be long before the proper measures to restrict travel are implemented.

Old 10-15-2014, 12:54 PM

38,955 posts, read 50,866,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek64 View Post
On that issue, I think this is the elephant in the room that has very ugly potential.

General Warns of 'Mass Migration' to U.S. if Ebola Comes to Americas
All the more reason it needs to be stopped where it is. This is a much bigger threat to our nation than ISIS will ever be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies