Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2014, 02:52 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,738,360 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek64 View Post
Agree. And preventing people with passports from affected countries into a country where we already have an example of what can happen, is logical.

And furthermore, I thought our leaders are suppose to listen to the will/majority of the people and act on their behalf accordingly?

Majority of Americans Want Flights Banned From Ebola Countries: Survey - NBC News
First, you wanted to stop all flights out of Africa.

When it was pointed out that Africa is a BIG continent, you amended, you wanted to block flights just from Ebola-affected countries.

Now you are talking about just stopping them from entering the United States, not from flying anywhere else.

And you are ignoring the fact that the VAST, OVERWHELMING majority of people in those countries are not infected with Ebola. Banning them because of where they are from, rather than because they pose a health risk, is not thoughtful. It is not logical.

And evidently you missed the part in civics where the United States founding fathers, being wary of mob rule, set up our government restricting the democracy aspect, as the will/majority of the people is often uninformed and irrational.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2014, 02:55 PM

33,468 posts, read 17,989,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
The fact that this health care worker had contact with Mr. Duncan and then was allowed to fly is unfathomable. We must face the reality that our agencies to do not know what they are doing.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/16/us...T.nav=top-news
No more unfathomable than letting those from the infected areas in West Africa to fly around the world in airplanes.. this is just crazy..

Old 10-15-2014, 02:57 PM

28,967 posts, read 14,290,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek64 View Post
Agree. And preventing people with passports from affected countries into a country where we already have an example of what can happen, is logical.

And furthermore, I thought our leaders are suppose to listen to the will/majority of the people and act on their behalf accordingly?

Majority of Americans Want Flights Banned From Ebola Countries: Survey - NBC News
We have protocols for putting livestock and pets into quaratine and restricting travel why are we letting flights coming in from infected areas ?

Old 10-15-2014, 02:59 PM

7,068 posts, read 6,424,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
First, you wanted to stop all flights out of Africa.

When it was pointed out that Africa is a BIG continent, you amended, you wanted to block flights just from Ebola-affected countries.
Now you are talking about just stopping them from entering the United States, not from flying anywhere else.

And you are ignoring the fact that the VAST, OVERWHELMING majority of people in those countries are not infected with Ebola. Banning them because of where they are from, rather than because they pose a health risk, is not thoughtful. It is not logical.

And evidently you missed the part in civics where the United States founding fathers, being wary of mob rule, set up our government restricting the democracy aspect, as the will/majority of the people is often uninformed and irrational.
I misspoke, good grief. See my earlier posts where I mentioned several times to only prevent the flights from the affected regions. And I evolved to state to prevent all those with a passport from the affected countries from entering our country.

To simplify.....Correct, ban all people with passports from affected countries in Africa from entering our country.

What you're forgetting is we had ONE person fly into our country that came down with ebola and we are starting to see the potential signs of exposure that is far reaching from that 1 person.

So the majority of people who want flights banned form the affected regions are "uniformed" and "irrational" after seeing 1st hand the results? Good grief.

Old 10-15-2014, 03:02 PM

16,852 posts, read 10,489,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
We have protocols for putting livestock and pets into quaratine and restricting travel why are we letting flights coming in from infected areas ?
Speaking of which, I read that they are not even sure which animals can carry ebola. There may be animals here in North America that can carry and transmit the virus to humans. Also, we don't know what how the winter will impact ebola. We will also have people sneezing and coughing from flu soon. That's a lot of fluids flying around.

Old 10-15-2014, 03:04 PM

9,128 posts, read 5,762,595 times
I wasn't worried before, but I heard Obama just canceled a fundraiser.
Oh Oh!

Old 10-15-2014, 03:04 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,474,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
They also told us at one point that Ebola patients would be too sick to travel so we didn't need to worry about it coming here from Africa.
Those who have progressed to the point of being contagious would be too sick to travel.

Those who came in contact with Duncan during his journey between Monrovia and Dallas on 9/19-20 have not become sick.

Those who shared an apartment with Duncan, beginning on 9/20, 25 days ago, have not, thus far become sick.

I think the apartment occupants are into Day 17 following Duncan's admission to the hospital.

Old 10-15-2014, 03:06 PM

40,922 posts, read 48,877,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Guess no one in Dallas would think to drive 4 hours to Houston?
I'm in a suburb of Irving, you think it'll be Ok if we get away for a while?

Does these restrictions just apply to the city of Dallas or the 26 cities of the Metroplex and all 7 million of us ?

Old 10-15-2014, 03:07 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,474,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Well my sister is NOT in Texas and she said she would quit before dealing with Ebola.
Her hospital has ZERO level 4 gear.

One difference is that the other hospitals knew in advance they were getting an Ebola patient.
And still, the protocol evolved and will continue to evolve, based on lessons learned.

Old 10-15-2014, 03:11 PM

4,176 posts, read 4,651,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
And still, the protocol evolved and will continue to evolve, based on lessons learned.
I think I would have completely agreed with you a week ago. But my confidence in the CDC is all but gone. Do you know: they issued 'guidelines' to these healthcare workers to not use public transit. But it was not any sort of enforceable policy. These people were doing self-monitoring. That tells me the CDC are not staying ahead of Ebola. They're reacting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies