Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2014, 06:25 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
The nurse thanked god, her friends and her family. Not the doctor who gave her a blood transfusion?
Oversight, I'm sure.

There is no certainty that blood serum is effective. It's just another option they are throwing at Ebola.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2014, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
Do you have a source for that? "Cause I find it hard to believe. Are you referring only to Ebola or to other serious infectious diseases.
Ebola. My source is WHO. I am on an I-pad right now and DK how to link.

Old 10-24-2014, 06:30 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,231,444 times
Quote:
All the monitoring and protective gear in the world won't work if people abandon their common sense.

If EBOla sweeps the U.S. it will be because of sheer stupidity.

You just return from Africa treating Ebola patients and you can't wait 21 friggin' days to go bowling. You go to a crowded walkway, mingle with crowds, and go to restaurants. Couldn't all this frenetic activity have waited? What is wrong with people's common sense?

Same with the nurse who just had to fly to Atlanta after treating an Ebola patient. Sure, she's feeling sluggish and tired. Her temp is only 100.2 and 100.3 is the cut-off. Why the bejeezus would she have to get on a PLANE to travel? Yes, she's making wedding preparations, but for Pete's sake, that's not life an death. She could have delayed her trip by 3 weeks in order not to put other innocent travellers at risk.

These health care workers are just plain stupid, and selfish, and they can't put their frenzied busy social schedules on hold for 3 weeks to ensure the safety of others.
Selfish? That's pretty over the top from even a keyboard "expert". These people are risking their lives to help other human beings and your find them selfish. The right knows no shame, I swear.

Old 10-24-2014, 06:31 PM

13,303 posts, read 7,870,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Both
Very doubtful.

And worse, they've always been anti-fiber, unless it comes from Genetically Modified Plants.

The WHOs biggest concern is that someone might overdose Vitamin C.

Last edited by Hyperthetic; 10-24-2014 at 06:50 PM..

Old 10-24-2014, 06:37 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,591,580 times
Oh great, now CNN is bashing nj and ny for protecting people.

Old 10-24-2014, 06:41 PM

Quote:
All the monitoring and protective gear in the world won't work if people abandon their common sense.

If EBOla sweeps the U.S. it will be because of sheer stupidity.

You just return from Africa treating Ebola patients and you can't wait 21 friggin' days to go bowling. You go to a crowded walkway, mingle with crowds, and go to restaurants. Couldn't all this frenetic activity have waited? What is wrong with people's common sense?

Same with the nurse who just had to fly to Atlanta after treating an Ebola patient. Sure, she's feeling sluggish and tired. Her temp is only 100.2 and 100.3 is the cut-off. Why the bejeezus would she have to get on a PLANE to travel? Yes, she's making wedding preparations, but for Pete's sake, that's not life an death. She could have delayed her trip by 3 weeks in order not to put other innocent travellers at risk.

These health care workers are just plain stupid, and selfish, and they can't put their frenzied busy social schedules on hold for 3 weeks to ensure the safety of others.
Back when the nurse 2 flight hit the fan, I said if I found myself in her situation I would park myself at the hospital and insist on daily blood tests to have the earliest opportunity to nip it in the bud. I also acknowledged I had not walked a step in the nurse's shoes and DENIAL is a powerful coping mechanism.

Many here tore my head off for blaming the nurse. I don't think nurse 2, the lab tech or this MD put the general public at greater risk. My opinion. But man oh man the toll of the cost, inconvenience and needless anxiety this has caused is overwhelming.

Inconveniencing a few for the peace of mind of 315 million - a no brainier.

Old 10-24-2014, 06:52 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,650,086 times
Quote:
Back when the nurse 2 flight hit the fan, I said if I found myself in her situation I would park myself at the hospital and insist on daily blood tests to have the earliest opportunity to nip it in the bud. I also acknowledged I had not walked a step in the nurse's shoes and DENIAL is a powerful coping mechanism.

Many here tore my head off for blaming the nurse. I don't think nurse 2, the lab tech or this MD put the general public at greater risk. My opinion. But man oh man the toll of the cost, inconvenience and needless anxiety this has caused is overwhelming.

Ebola is transmitted by bodily contact with body fluids of an infected person or animal, even if the diseased creature is dead.

I sure wouldn't want to be the person who used that doctor's rented bowling shoes after he did. All you need is his sweat, and a few abrasions on your feet, maybe from using a pumice stone, and I think that would be a risk.

The nurse who went and tried on bridal gowns -- that's equally stupid. Her sweat gets on a gown. The next wearer shaved her armpits that morning. It's lucky no one has gotten Ebola from that nurse's shenanigans.

Also, all the information out there mentions that Ebola is transmitted by "contact" with an Ebola victim's bodily fluids. Does that mean you have to have an opening in your skin for the contact to occur or are they simply saying if your intact skin got contaminated by an Ebola victim's bodily fluid that you could get the disease. It seems to be the latter.

Old 10-24-2014, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Globe199 View Post
I think this is a concern too. But maybe there's a way to lessen the severity of it. Paul Allen just donated $100m to the cause. What if, in exchange for volunteering to help in West Africa, you agree to a 21-day isolation upon return, but we pay your salary, and make the isolation as comfortable as possible. It's three weeks, not three months or three years.

It doesn't have to be all-or-nothing. We need to be creative.
The doctors who work with Doctors without Borders are temporary employees presumably for insurance purposes. They are encouraged not to return to their jobs for 21 days because their bodies need time to recuperate from the demands placed on their imune systems while on the front line. Ebola is but one of many nasty things they encounter under brutal conditions. They are cautioned to avoid unnecessary exposures to colds and influenza. Doctors without Borders continues to pay them during the 21 day period.

I would be very surprised if healthcare workers employed by hospitals do not remain on the payroll while they are " in service".

Old 10-24-2014, 06:56 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:

Lots of truth to this post.

Old 10-24-2014, 06:57 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,650,086 times
Why not have the 21-one day quarantine for a health-care worker who has been treating Ebola while they are still in the afflicted country (but not treating patients), before they get on a plane?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies