Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2014, 07:38 PM

13,281 posts, read 7,825,112 times

Advertisements

Ebola likes air conditioning.

"We also demonstrated aerosol transmission of Ebola virus at lower temperature and humidity than that normally present in sub-Saharan Africa."

"Peter Jahrling was one of the authors of the report. Jahrling was discoverer of the Reston strain of Ebola, and is now chief scientist at the U.S. National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases."

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2014-1...itions-hot-hum
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2014, 09:22 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,918,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
Ever been on a crowded NYC subway before? On the news this morning you can feel the entire city and tri-state area breathe a sigh of relief that two politicians with cojones took the kind of action people have been asking for.

Tonight I was on a crowded NYC suburb. I was in NYC all day. I heard no one discussing it. The odds of a piano falling from a balcony killing you are far higher.

1 case in the entire Northeast..from someone who had that rare close up contact at a time when fluids would be transferred.

The paranoia is far worse than the disease.

Old 10-25-2014, 10:02 PM

12,270 posts, read 11,294,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
Tonight I was on a crowded NYC suburb. I was in NYC all day. I heard no one discussing it. The odds of a piano falling from a balcony killing you are far higher.

1 case in the entire Northeast..from someone who had that rare close up contact at a time when fluids would be transferred.

The paranoia is far worse than the disease.
Lol...I was at work all day yesterday and that's all anyone was talking about. Seen this CDC chart about droplet spread? http://www.cdc.gov/vhf/ebola/pdf/inf...r-droplets.pdf

To quote:

"Droplet spread happens when germs traveling inside droplets that are
coughed or sneezed from a sick person enter the eyes, nose, or mouth of
another person. Droplets travel short distances, less than 3 feet (1 meter)
from one person to another.

A person might also get infected by touching a surface or object that has
germs on it and then touching their mouth or nose.

Droplet spread diseases include: plague, Ebola."

Remember that the next time someone coughs or sneezes on you while riding a bus or subway in NYC.

Also - a little common sense is not paranoia.

Old 10-25-2014, 10:05 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,490,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
That's what it was like for those of us who live in/near Dallas. The rest of the country was far more alarmed than we were.

Old 10-25-2014, 10:22 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,918,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
That's what it was like for those of us who live in/near Dallas. The rest of the country was far more alarmed than we were.
I was very careful crossing streets tonight. That's the big risk factor in NYC. Not 1 case in 8 million.

Old 10-26-2014, 01:00 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,657,520 times
Very interesting article -
Inside the Ebola Wars

Old 10-26-2014, 06:25 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,807,897 times
Quote:
Finally Cuomo and Christie assert their states rights and show more common sense than the entire Obama administration. Kudos to both governors. New York, New Jersey Set Up Quarantine Requirement Amid Ebola Threat « CBS New York
Yep, we should applaud Governors that take the high political ground of "freak out" on Ebola, huh?

Old 10-26-2014, 07:21 AM

67,652 posts, read 60,472,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Very interesting article -
Inside the Ebola Wars
VERY good article.

Anyone interested in this subject should read it.

Of course, some people will choose to bury their heads in the sand. Apparently the symptom of denial isn't limited to Ebola patients.

Old 10-26-2014, 07:25 AM

67,652 posts, read 60,472,107 times
Quote:
Lol...I was at work all day yesterday and that's all anyone was talking about. Seen this CDC chart about droplet spread? http://www.cdc.gov/vhf/ebola/pdf/inf...r-droplets.pdf

To quote:

"Droplet spread happens when germs traveling inside droplets that are
coughed or sneezed from a sick person enter the eyes, nose, or mouth of
another person. Droplets travel short distances, less than 3 feet (1 meter)
from one person to another.

A person might also get infected by touching a surface or object that has
germs on it and then touching their mouth or nose.

Droplet spread diseases include: plague, Ebola."

Remember that the next time someone coughs or sneezes on you while riding a bus or subway in NYC.

Also - a little common sense is not paranoia.
I was out shopping yesterday and heard people out in public talking about it for the first time.

They were rather nervously joking about it. "Wonder if I could get Ebola from touching all these clothes?" (nervous laughter from the group of friends)

Another woman was coughing and said, "Don't worry - I don't have Ebola" and people around her laughed and then after a few seconds of silence, someone said in a small voice, "Did you ask your doctor?"

Both times I heard it discussed, people were joking about it, but in a way it was eerie. I sincerely hope that I forget completely about these little moments, rather than remembering them later as the first day I picked up on the growing realization in the general public that "Houston, we have a problem."

Old 10-26-2014, 08:00 AM

90,316 posts, read 120,386,609 times
I was in Omaha the day Ashoka Mukpo was brought there and also for a few days prior. It certainly was in the news, ranking up there with The Huskers. I did not talk to many Omahans, but the only person in my extended family who voiced an opinion was my MIL (negative), but she didn't even seem to be afraid of the disease.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies