Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2014, 02:24 PM

11,011 posts, read 10,983,795 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
No scientific evidence of this.

Reportedly Duncan was not put into IC for about 30 hours after he presented in the ER with serious symptoms, the second time. Those who had contact with him and his fluids prior to that have cleared the 21 day period.
Um okay except for the fact that Dr. Brantley's first test was negative (per another poster) and he was a carrier at that time and simply did not have enough of the virus to test positive. Maybe not official scientific evidence but it did prove someone could test negative and still be a carrier.

That's the whole incubation period thing - you can become actively symptomatic anywhere within that 21 days. They already caught the virus at that point, just not enough has replicated to be symptomatic yet. Good thing is that the virus only sheds (e.g. infects) when a person is symptomatic though, at least according to the CDC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2014, 02:25 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,187,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
...and her Linkedin account has been scrubbed.

Released Ebola Nurse Worked For CDC | The Daily Caller
Here’s an overlooked factor that could have contributed to her White House-backed release: Hickox is an official CDC Epidemic Intelligence Service (EIS) officer who performed work for the CDC in recent months.

Hickox was listed as an “EIS officer” for the CDC in program materials for a CDC course she taught in July 2014. Hickox taught an April 29 session called “Contact Investigation of Health Care Personnel Exposed to Maternal and Neonatal Tuberculosis—Clark County, Nevada, 2013″ at the conference (p. 3).
She co-wrote an anti-pharmaceutical industry op-ed for the Baltimore Sun and advocated against policies that would have developed life-saving drugs.
CDC and Media Agenda Revealed? Nurse That Complained About Ebola Quarantine Employed by CDC
America doesn’t seem to have any definitive and workable plan of action. We have a CDC director who is actually expecting us to believe that banning flights will cause more Americans to get Ebola and a President who refuses to take that simple common sense action.

In the eyes of many there is an agenda in play. As completely unfathomable as it might seem to some, many believe that Ebola is being spread intentionally within our borders.
"The CDC opposes quarantines or travel bans from Ebola infected countries."

Her lawyer is a frequent White House visitor and dinner guest.
And there is a conspiracy here somewhere?

Old 10-29-2014, 02:29 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,545,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
What fear? How about a little common sense. She had her temperature taken (this is actually an Obama order) and it was 101 degrees - they put her in a secure environment for observation. She threw a Hissy Fit Tantrum. She is an idiot. When she didn't have a temp, she was allowed to go and asked to not go into crowded places until she knew she was not a risk for coming down with Ebola (you did know that 8 people from Doctors Without Borders have died so far) - she throws another Hissy Fit Tantrum and gets a High Powered White House connected Lawyer to SUE. Typical ME,ME,ME Behavior from a Far Leftist. I consider it SOP, not fascinating at all. Just SOP.
The electronic fever scanner used at the airport detected a fever. A thermometer is considered a more accurate indication of fever and when it was used, she did not have a fever.

She was not given the option of leaving. Instead, she was isolated in a bubble, outside the hospital. The bubble contained a porta- potty. No shower. She insisted on keeping her i-phone.

She tested negative for Ebola, twice,
I hope a third test is not necessary.

Old 10-29-2014, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Not necessarily. There needs to be a certain amount of the virus in your system to trigger the test to positive.
If there is not enough virus in one's system to be detectable, how then could bodily fluids be contagious?

How it is possible that all of those who came into contact with Duncan before he was transferred to the ICU did not become sick? Same deal for nurse 1 and 2.

Old 10-29-2014, 02:39 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,386,609 times
Well, today the "touched their face" theory is getting a good workout. It's good when you can't think of any other way someone could have gotten infected. But seriously, one little touch and you've got Ebola when we've been told it's hard to get? Does not compute to me.

Old 10-29-2014, 02:41 PM

11,086 posts, read 8,513,165 times
Quote:
The electronic fever scanner used at the airport detected a fever. A thermometer is considered a more accurate indication of fever and when it was used, she did not have a fever.

She was not given the option of leaving. Instead, she was isolated in a bubble, outside the hospital. The bubble contained a porta- potty. No shower. She insisted on keeping her i-phone.

She tested negative for Ebola, twice,
I hope a third test is not necessary.
A link posted earlier quotes a study showing 13 percent of Ebola patients don't have a fever.

Old 10-29-2014, 02:45 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,253,512 times
Quote:
If there is not enough virus in one's system to be detectable, how then could bodily fluids be contagious?

How it is possible that all of those who came into contact with Duncan before he was transferred to the ICU did not become sick? Same deal for nurse 1 and 2.
There is still a lot about Ebola that they don't know.

It's historic that it left Africa.
it's historic that it made it to major cities in Africa.

We're in unchartered waters here.
Makes lots of people uncomfortable.

But it is what it is.

Duncan's fiance didn't get it.
But not a word about Pham's boyfriend who I think is in quarantine.

Old 10-29-2014, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
I think it's a mistake to patently dismiss the will of the people. To call them all 'massively misinformed' is a bit presumptuous. I think there has been some serious missteps in handling the Ebola quarantine or don't quarantine issue but I also would not presume to be derisive of our citizens either. It is unusual so many people are agreeing on this issue and speaks to a risk adverse population more than anything else.
A percentage of that " risk adverse" population resents/resists having a healthcare insurance mandate when they are substantially more likely to become seriously sick or injured than they will ever be for contracting Ebola.

My take is that a lot of people are easily influenced by fear mongering for profit and political purposes.Their fear is real and not easily overcome by science.

Given the politics and dynamics, I have no issue with an at home quarantine and incentives to ensure compliance, the latter of which is substantially less costly than contact tracing and disinfection.

Old 10-29-2014, 02:57 PM

11,011 posts, read 10,983,795 times
Quote:
A percentage of that " risk adverse" population resents/resists having a healthcare insurance mandate when they are substantially more likely to become seriously sick or injured than they will ever be for contracting Ebola.

My take is that a lot of people are easily influenced by fear mongering for profit and political purposes.Their fear is real and not easily overcome by science.

Given the politics and dynamics, I have no issue with an at home quarantine and incentives to ensure compliance, the latter of which is substantially less costly than contact tracing and disinfection.
Okay, way to get off topic with Obamacare but whatever.

I think a lot of people agreed the isolation was over the top and perhaps Hickox thought she had public sentiment on her side when she said she would break the home quarantine as well. I don't think people are going to be quite as understanding of her side of things if she breaks this home quarantine. But yes, one of my reasons for supporting home quarantine for certain people in certain areas is because of the financial and manning resources that are required when they are forced to do contact tracing in these high density urban areas.

Old 10-29-2014, 03:03 PM

46,857 posts, read 25,803,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
What fear? How about a little common sense.
In my experience, "common sense" is a term used to validate emotional responses over fact-driven thinking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies