Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2014, 09:29 AM

20,831 posts, read 17,022,632 times

Advertisements

Don't you think she's pretty?

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/31/us...=top-news&_r=0
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2014, 09:34 AM

11,011 posts, read 10,986,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
She is not sick. And thanks for thinking highly of us. Most of us support her as she establishes the rights so necessary to avoid government sanction of health care workers.
But I am betting that vast majority of people are not in favor of what she's doing. That's easy enough to see just by looking at article comments, etc. I think it's fine if she wants to speak out against it, etc. Cool. But is that really a responsible action by a health care worker to break quarantine, no matter what her personal views?

As a nurse, she shouldn't be encouraging people to ignore the public health system. That alone makes her a questionable professional. I thought she was a drama queen but felt she had every right to be saying and even screaming this wasn't fair, wasn't the right thing to do, etc. But intentionally breaking quarantine? That could actually be something to go after her license.

Old 10-30-2014, 09:34 AM

17,103 posts, read 14,414,865 times
Quote:

Pretty self-centered.

Pretty egotistical.

Pretty narcissistic.

Old 10-30-2014, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
But I am betting that vast majority of people are not in favor of what she's doing. That's easy enough to see just by looking at article comments, etc. I think it's fine if she wants to speak out against it, etc. Cool. But is that really a responsible action by a health care worker to break quarantine, no matter what her personal views?

As a nurse, she shouldn't be encouraging people to ignore the public health system. That alone makes her a questionable professional. I thought she was a drama queen but felt she had every right to be saying and even screaming this wasn't fair, wasn't the right thing to do, etc. But intentionally breaking quarantine? That could actually be something to go after her license.
No BRN is going after her license. Trust me. Unless they have millions to spend on a lawsuit. It is hard to fathom, I know, as we are all afraid of this disease, but there are much worse diseases which kill thousands each year (did you get your flu shot?) and those people are not quarantined. Look, we get it, however she is setting rights for the uninfected person to have liberty and take a bike ride in the woods. Cut her some slack she is a real breathing loving human being.

If people don't get that you should seek professional help....and soon.

Old 10-30-2014, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
Pretty self-centered.

Pretty egotistical.

Pretty narcissistic.
I like her. Looks like a fun ride with the person she loves.

Old 10-30-2014, 09:45 AM

11,011 posts, read 10,986,291 times
Quote:
No BRN is going after her license. Trust me. Unless they have millions to spend on a lawsuit. It is hard to fathom, I know, as we are all afraid of this disease, but there are much worse diseases which kill thousands each year (did you get your flu shot?) and those people are not quarantined. Look, we get it, however she is setting rights for the uninfected person to have liberty and take a bike ride in the woods. Cut her some slack she is a real breathing loving human being.

If people don't get that you should seek professional help....and soon.
Let's keep out all of the emotion - and your judgement of others.

Here's the reality -
She's a nurse.
She broke a mandatory quarantine.
As a nurse, her license could be in jeopardy for intentionally breaking a mandatory quarantine.
Nurses have an obligation to follow public health laws even if they do not agree with them

Everything else you wrote? Irrelevant.

Old 10-30-2014, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Let's keep out all of the emotion - and your judgement of others.

Here's the reality -
She's a nurse.
She broke a mandatory quarantine.
As a nurse, her license could be in jeopardy for intentionally breaking a mandatory quarantine.
Nurses have an obligation to follow public health laws even if they do not agree with them

Everything else you wrote? Irrelevant.
Thanks for trying to tell me how to think. NO thanks I have a better idea. Actually nurses have a lawful authority to break the law if we feel the law is counter to the health of the individual. She is asserting that right for herself. It's in our charter and our conscience. Guess you missed that.

Old 10-30-2014, 09:53 AM

Quote:

She has a right to maintain her health. A bike ride in the woods helps that. Why you insist that she does not have this right is unfathomable to most nurses. As I said, she has eminent legal minds at her fingertips who will work for her pro bono. A bike ride in the woods? C'mon. Get real.

Old 10-30-2014, 10:02 AM

Nurses have a long and deeply proud history of challenging legal authority. Since you all don't know this here is one of the many nurses who fought at that time lawful authority. The list is long and we, nurses and others revere them. Maybe you can do a little research on nurses fighting illegal authority. Its a little more work than point enter and click but it may actually do you some good in the long run.

Mary Ezra Mahoney was the first African-American woman to complete nursing training and become a registered nurse.
Mahoney worked at the New England Hospital for Women and Children before she was accepted to the hospital's nursing school at the age of 33. Out of 42 candidates, only four graduated; Mahoney was one of those four.
Upon graduating, Mahoney registered with the Nurses' Directory at the Massachusetts Medical Library and went into private practice in New England. Because of her successes, the nursing school she attended loosened their policies against admitting black nursing candidates.
In the face of discrimination against black nurses, Mahoney advocated for the rights of all black nurses and went on to co-found the National Association of Colored Graduate Nurses (NACGN) in 1908.

Old 10-30-2014, 10:14 AM

11,086 posts, read 8,514,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
Pretty self-centered.

Pretty egotistical.

Pretty narcissistic.
Exactly. She is totally unconcerned with everyone else but herself. No one in their right mind would want this self-absorbed freak giving them nursing care.

If medical workers refuse the quarantine after travelling to Ebolaland, then they should be refused entry to the US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies