Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2014, 08:34 AM

20,834 posts, read 17,100,379 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
You do understand, instead of trying to get the thread closed, you could simply choose to not participate? People have opinions and they are as divergent as the people who hold them. You cannot possibly expect them all to share the same opinion as yourself. You have some people who look at Hickox and think 'if that were me, I would have just complied'. You have others who think 'this is over the top, I would have fought'. And then you have others who think 'I would have complied but I can understand her reasoning'. That's only scratching the surface of the types of opinions people could have with this situation.

The truth is that Kaci Hickox, once she decided to go public, invited this in. And for the record, yes she decided to go public because she had the option to keep everything sealed as it related to her case and waived that right so it could be in public. That's not counting all of her interviews with media that started almost immediately upon her being placed in that tent in New Jersey. While you may find some of the things said about her to be concerning, she did invite this type of discussion by deciding to be the public poster child for the quarantine debate.
I am not attempting by my actions to get the thread closed. I responded to her question.

Ms. Hickox did not "invite this in". She was treated poorly and she responded appropriately as any person in my opinion as a woman or man should. Not one to lay down and take it, I applaud her verve when already being tired.

She invited nothing. I find most of the things said about her to be irrelevant and mean.

"Public Poster Child"... Think about it. would you want your daughter or son spoken about in that way>?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2014, 08:34 AM

37,102 posts, read 41,261,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
How is what those states are doing different than what the Obama Administration is doing to soldiers - scientifically speaking?

Obama is the Commander in Chief of the military and Obama can 100% influence this policy or voice an opinion... Obama's Administration is criticizing the states on 'scientific grounds' for what it is doing to soldiers.

Sorry, this is hypocrisy - even if Obama is cool.
I take it you have no military experience. It's a whole 'nother world. Once again, they do not need scientific justification. They can do it "just because I say so".

Old 11-01-2014, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Ms. Hickox was treated poorly by being kept in isolation when it was unnecessary. Her response, despite your dogged support of it, has not been above reproach. All she had to do was cooperate with monitored quarantine when she was released from isolation, which she deserved by threatening to do whatever she wanted to. Now she has agreed to do what she should have done all along. She accomplished nothing but generating a media show.
She is a noble leader. If you disagree at least do so with a degree of courtesy and tell me, and others why you do so. We have a responsibility to be civil. What you call personal attacks are more an attempt to get you to look at yourselves as you practice what I consider character assassination on this person, a lovely nurse, who can and will defend herself. We can disagree, but I will not allow people to attack her character. You see, nurses are happy to defend their own. Not all of us. But those who live without fear.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 11-01-2014 at 11:25 AM.. Reason: edited quoted post and reply

Old 11-01-2014, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTGR View Post
It is Maine.
Right, but do you think the people who want her arrested would stop there?

Old 11-01-2014, 08:48 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,023,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
I am not attempting by my actions to get the thread closed. I responded to her question.

Ms. Hickox did not "invite this in". She was treated poorly and she responded appropriately as any person in my opinion as a woman or man should. Not one to lay down and take it, I applaud her verve when already being tired.

She invited nothing. I find most of the things said about her to be irrelevant and mean.

"Public Poster Child"... Think about it. would you want your daughter or son spoken about in that way>?
She chose to waive her right to keep her proceedings (and name) private. She chose to give interviews to multiple news stations, including writing an op-ed for a paper. She chose to make her case public and make herself a public figure, thereby inviting in all of the opinions of others, including criticism. So public poster child is an accurate description of what Kaci Hickox herself decided to become. Remember, she could have still fought this in court and protected her identity and privacy. She chose not to do so and specifically waived her right to keep her case sealed.

Old 11-01-2014, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
I take it you have no military experience. It's a whole 'nother world. Once again, they do not need scientific justification. They can do it "just because I say so".
True (was a Marine myself). However, Hagel is claiming his decision to quarantine is science based. This does create a bit of a conundrum for the Obama administration when, on one hand, he is saying on thing about quarantines and his Defense Secretary (a direct report) is saying another.

Old 11-01-2014, 08:49 AM

Quote:
She chose to waive her right to keep her proceedings (and name) private. She chose to give interviews to multiple news stations, including writing an op-ed for a paper. She chose to make her case public and make herself a public figure, thereby inviting in all of the opinions of others, including criticism. So public poster child is an accurate description of what Kaci Hickox herself decided to become. Remember, she could have still fought this in court and protected her identity and privacy. She chose not to do so and specifically waived her right to keep her case sealed.
She is defending herself the exact way others would. Opening up the can of worms for all to see. It's a tried and true technique in every situation where rights are being taken away from abusive homes to national politics.

Old 11-01-2014, 08:51 AM

Can someone remind me how many days it has been since she left West Africa?

Old 11-01-2014, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
She is defending herself the exact way others would. Opening up the can of worms for all to see. It's a tried and true technique in every situation where rights are being taken away from abusive homes to national politics.
As I said, she became the public poster child for the quarantine subject and chose to be that public figure. It follows that opinions, both for and against, her cause would follow. If she didn't like what was said about her after going public, it's a bit of a 'too bad' thing. You can't unring that bell.

Old 11-01-2014, 09:02 AM

Quote:
As I said, she became the public poster child for the quarantine subject and chose to be that public figure. It follows that opinions, both for and against, her cause would follow. If she didn't like what was said about her after going public, it's a bit of a 'too bad' thing. You can't unring that bell.
Well we just see it differently. She fought back, that's mine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies