Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2014, 07:45 PM

13,684 posts, read 9,006,517 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gen811 View Post
OFFICIAL
WHO-WORLD HEALTH ORGANIZATION
WEBSITE

WHO | Are the Ebola outbreaks in Nigeria and Senegal over?

Incubation period

"The period of 42 days, with active case-finding in place, is twice the maximum incubation period for Ebola virus disease and is considered by WHO as sufficient to generate confidence in a declaration that an Ebola outbreak has ended.

Recent studies conducted in West Africa have demonstrated that

95% of confirmed cases have an incubation period in the range of 1 to 21 days;
98% have an incubation period that falls within the 1 to 42 day interval.

WHO is therefore confident that detection of no new cases, with active surveillance in place, throughout this 42-day period means that an Ebola outbreak is indeed over.

The announcement that the outbreaks are over, in line with the dates fixed by the subcommittee on surveillance, epidemiology, and laboratory testing, is made by the governments of the affected countries in close collaboration with WHO and its international partners.

Official announcements for the 2 countries will be made on the WHO website."

-I hope this will put to rest those that doubt our references of WHO
and they will spread the word
good day
I'm not sure what 'word' you want spread. Even your own link states that the incubation period of Ebola is 21 days. The 42-day period is taking the rather extreme scenario that on the 21st day (of exposed person number one) said exposed person will come into contact with a second person, hence possibly passing on Ebola if said first person was just becoming symptomatic (i.e., reaching viral load) on the 21st day. Remember, in that part of western Africa you are dealing with a population that may move about without reporting where they are for the purposes of the 21 day period.

The '98 percent' incubation period falling within the 1 to 42 day period is not what you seem to think. It does not mean that Ebola has, within one person, a possible incubation period of up to 42 days.

However, I just realized that you have this fixed in your head, so we will let it rest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2014, 08:54 PM

1,013 posts, read 910,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
I'm not sure what 'word' you want spread. Even your own link states that the incubation period of Ebola is 21 days. The 42-day period is taking the rather extreme scenario that on the 21st day (of exposed person number one) said exposed person will come into contact with a second person, hence possibly passing on Ebola if said first person was just becoming symptomatic (i.e., reaching viral load) on the 21st day. Remember, in that part of western Africa you are dealing with a population that may move about without reporting where they are for the purposes of the 21 day period.

The '98 percent' incubation period falling within the 1 to 42 day period is not what you seem to think. It does not mean that Ebola has, within one person, a possible incubation period of up to 42 days.

However, I just realized that you have this fixed in your head, so we will let it rest.
yep you asked and you got a trust worthy source now I do not want to hear anymore complaints about 42 days being fake

I guess you can stick your head in the sand now.

We have said it was the extreme case from the get go anyway.
but now you said it would not matter
well suit yourselves

but the site clearly states 42 days.
I assume you cannot deny it further than necessary now

and all your complaints will now be saying
it is only 3 % for 42 days
and 2% for the rest

totally 5% discrepancy.
well suit yourselves

BUT DO NOT SAY WE LIED
it has been backed up with CREDIBLE citations unlike your sources.

and btw
YOUR WELCOME.
(I suppose)

Old 11-03-2014, 09:17 PM

13,302 posts, read 7,867,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
One of the presenting symptoms is often headache. Victims can get brain swelling, have seizures, and develop comas.
Well?

Does the ebola virus, per se, cross the blood-brain barrier, or not?

Old 11-03-2014, 11:15 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,250,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperthetic View Post
Well?

Does the ebola virus, per se, cross the blood-brain barrier, or not?
An interesting question, Hyper. I cannot find much except animal studies and nothing about actually trying to isolate virus from the brain or spinal fluid. Needless to say, doing an autopsy on an Ebola victim would not be high on the list of activities that a pathologist would enjoy.

It is hard to say whether the neurologic symptoms described are from direct effects of the virus or cerebral edema and/or hemorrhage or clotting due to the coagulation abnormalities. The virus does most of its dirty work inside blood vessels, evading the immune system and knocking out the liver at the same time.

https://microbewiki.kenyon.edu/index...nus_Ebolavirus

Old 11-04-2014, 06:25 AM

7,444 posts, read 7,014,485 times
Default Then there is the risk of passing through sex -- even after

being declared virus free:

For Ebola Survivors, Sex Carries Added Risk - WSJ - WSJ

Old 11-04-2014, 07:00 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,725,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Africans are not ignorant. This is from a Liberian report, and eye opening to say the least.
Ebola, AIDS Manufactured by Western Pharmaceuticals, US DoD? | The Liberian Observer

"There is an even more insidious connection, Broderick maintains. "Disturbingly, many reports also conclude that the US government has a viral fever bioterrorism research laboratory in Kenema, a town at the epicenter of the Ebola outbreak in West Africa."

Broderick then references a newspaper report as published in The Guardian. "The U.S. government funding of Ebola trials on healthy humans comes amid warnings by top scientists in Harvard and Yale that such virus experiments risk triggering a worldwide pandemic." That threat still persists."

Report from Catholic Online:
Ebola is manufactured crisis, Liberian doctor says - Africa - International - News - Catholic Online

Dr. Broderick is a former professor of Plant Pathology at the University of Liberia's College of Agriculture and Forestry. He is also a scientist, who has taught for many years at the Agricultural College of the University of Delaware.
Liberia is the second poorest country in the world. The other two Ebola affected countries are not far behind. Superstition and conspiracy theories have enabled Ebola to spread like wildfire.

Old 11-04-2014, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
I had heard that some survivors had poor health and muscle and joint pain after Ebola, but I had not seen anything about blindness. Hopefully, someone will be able to tell what kind of blindness it is: retinal damage or neurologic? Optic nerve or visual cortex?

Ah, here:

Surviving Ebola: For those who live through it, what lies ahead? - CBS News

"But unfortunately, Ebola survivors do often develop certain chronic inflammatory conditions that affect the joints and eyes, problems that can follow a survivor through the remainder of their life.

Dr. Amar Safdar, associate professor of infectious diseases and immunology at NYU Langone Medical Center, told CBS News these chronic conditions are a result of the body's immune response.

He said Ebola survivors are at risk for arthralgia, a type of joint and bone pain that can feel similar to arthritis. Ebola survivors also frequently report complications with eyes and vision, an inflammatory condition known as uveitis which can cause excess tearing, eye sensitivity, eye inflammation and even blindness.

'No one knows exactly why,' Safdar told CBS News. 'Certain infections or certain viruses have been known to cause uveitis. It is treated with giving steroids and primarily something that will dilate the pupil.' "

Uveitis Definition - Diseases and Conditions - Mayo Clinic
The majority of Ebola survivors are nationals of the affected areas. Life expectantcy in Sierra Leone was 43 years old before this Ebola outbreak. Poor nutrition and lack of access to healthcare take a toll.

Ebola survivors in Europe and the U.S. will likely be closely observed, going forward to determine lasting effects, if any.

Old 11-04-2014, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
That may be so and if it is true, I think that's not a good decision to keep it quiet. Now that other countries, including one of our closest allies, Canada, have come out publicly in favor of visa restrictions, there is no reason for the US to not do so as well.
The Canadian ban is curious in that it is not limited to nationals of the affected areas. It includes all foreigners who transitioned through the affected areas. Sounds to me like they became concerned about US people flying into Canada.

The ruling also includes room for discretion.

Both Australia and now Canada are in violation of International Health Regulations, a part of the 2005 WHO treaty. As I understand it, Canada was previously a strong advocate for this treaty to avoid a repeat of the WHO advisory relative to travel to/ from Toronto during the SARS outbreak.

Old 11-04-2014, 07:39 AM

From the Time Mag article:

" Ebola, like most viruses, mutates often, BUT that doesn't mean the way it spreads between people will change. To be very clear: In the history of all viruses, scientists have yet to see a virus mutate so that it goes from spreading via droplets - meaning it is carried by infected bodily fluids- to becoming airborne. "

Old 11-04-2014, 08:43 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Africans are not ignorant. This is from a Liberian report, and eye opening to say the least.
Ebola, AIDS Manufactured by Western Pharmaceuticals, US DoD? | The Liberian Observer

"There is an even more insidious connection, Broderick maintains. "Disturbingly, many reports also conclude that the US government has a viral fever bioterrorism research laboratory in Kenema, a town at the epicenter of the Ebola outbreak in West Africa."

Broderick then references a newspaper report as published in The Guardian. "The U.S. government funding of Ebola trials on healthy humans comes amid warnings by top scientists in Harvard and Yale that such virus experiments risk triggering a worldwide pandemic." That threat still persists."

Report from Catholic Online:
Ebola is manufactured crisis, Liberian doctor says - Africa - International - News - Catholic Online

Dr. Broderick is a former professor of Plant Pathology at the University of Liberia's College of Agriculture and Forestry. He is also a scientist, who has taught for many years at the Agricultural College of the University of Delaware.
Quote:
I don't "think" anything, because I have no way of corroborating it. I posted these articles for those who may possibly be interested, in case they would like to follow up as I will try to. Everything being "put out there" on the Net or otherwise deserves skepticism, including and perhaps especially government agencies.

One thing to keep in mind is that just about anyone who digs further to try to find out information below the surface is immediately discredited, often viciously, to keep their findings from spreading. They are a threat to mainstream thinking. This happens with everything from climate change to nuclear plants and fracking to toxins in our water to this problem of Ebola. Every issue has more than one side to it, and every dissent from the mainstream line is attacked.

None of us know what is really going on, and we should not pretend to. We are all reading the very sources that back up how we tend to opine. We have no idea what's behind what, if anything. That said, there is no harm in knowing all the possibilities surrounding serious matters. One thing for sure is that the AP (Associated Press) will never come out with anything other than what is being officially said. If anyone wants to know the truth, look to as many sources (other than AP) as can be found, usually from independent investigative journalists.
I think this has been well responded to, but I would like to add my 2c. We've heard this stuff before, about vaccines, about AIDS. I wouldn't take the opinion of a plant pathologist too seriously, either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies