Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where geographically is the rebel flag acceptable?
Anywhere in the nation 69 47.92%
Anywhere south of the Mason-Dixon Line 6 4.17%
Anywhere in the former Confederacy 15 10.42%
Any rural area in any region 2 1.39%
Nowhere 57 39.58%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 144. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2014, 11:42 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,767,929 times

Advertisements

ANYWHERE!

It's a disgusting symbol of something wrong, but the Constitution protects it!

It should be free to be flown anywhere!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2014, 11:46 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,767,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
I get what you're saying, and I too support people flying whatever flag they want. However; to the bolded, wouldn't the better choice be the the Gadsden Flag?
It matters not what's best but what's doable! I actually have a 2'x4' Gadson flag that I will be floating this Holiday season.... right below my US flag!

Better matters not, so says the Constitution!!!

Old 10-16-2014, 02:05 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,249,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
I met socially acceptable to fly in front of your house, have on a t-shirt or on a bumper sticker. I do think only the national, state, and county flags should be displayed "officially" in front of a public building but I'm okay with the flag in the South Carolina statehouse as it doesn't have official status.

I think anywhere south of the Mason Dixon Line, it should be socially acceptable for a private business to display a rebel flag, or for it to be brought to football games, concerts, parades, etc and of course on private property. I do try to avoid wearing my Confederate colors when I travel north of the Mason-Dixon Line, though a point CAN be made that if its okay for illegal aliens to fly the Mexican flag after coming to the US, why can't a transplanted Southerner living in Ohio fly their flag there.

It's a shame some people outside the South have a negative perception of the flag just because of the liberal media, liberal Hollywood and the liberal public school systems. Even within the South there are liberal educators (and not all of them are transplants) who are trying to ban the Confederate flag from schools. The people I know who fly the flag are NOT racist. I do know that it really gets the liberal elite riled up when they see it when they travel here to West Virginia and see the flag flying. I don't see why it is a symbol of racism just because the liberal elite says it is. Their beliefs to not take precedence over ours.

I've noticed people from the north who are Civil War buffs and have studied American history extensively are usually NOT offended by the rebel flag and understand that the war was not mainly about slavery. There was some debate about how during the government shutdown a tea party protestor brought a Confederate flag to the White House and the liberal elite media said it was racist but the war was as much over taxes and the unfair tariffs charged on the South than it was about slavery and it also represents rebellion against an overreaching and overbearing federal government much like the one we see today.
Oh please , stop it with that lost cause garbage. Slavery was the entire reason the civil war was fought and we all know that.

Old 10-16-2014, 02:08 AM

10,149 posts, read 15,847,496 times
It's especially weird that in liberal parts of Maryland, which is south of the Mason Dixon Line and forced to stay in the Union during the war, that the guy running for lieutenant governor who is currently a county executive would call it a symbol of "subjugation" and "Racism". He is alienating basically all the voters on the Eastern Shore, Western Maryland and many exurban areas in central Maryland even and pandering to the liberal elite of the DC area, the ghetto Democrats, and the illegal aliens. This is the same person who wants to create state loans for illegal aliens because in-state tuition isn't generous enough for them.

I am a minority but I also am a Southerner and live in a rural area. Myself and many of my friends here in WV do have it and they are NOT racist. We don't see it as representing slavery. Liberals might see it as a symbol of racism and slavery but I really don't see why their interpretation of the flag should take precedence over ours. There are some who would say I am a self-hating minority because I have the Confederate flag but the culture i grew up around is as much a part of me, and perhaps more so than the culture of my parents' countries of birth especially since I was born and raised in the US.

Old 10-16-2014, 02:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
Why do I need to ask more questions? Free speech is free. It isn't required to pass literacy, heritage or meaning tests. It's just free.

If a black person wears CSA flag stuff head to toe, joins the Klan or drives the General Lee...what do I care? Doesn't affect me in the least, nor does most free speech, even if boorish and moronic.

Black people celebrate kwanzaa like it is something from Africa or part of their heritage, and don't know it was created by a domestic terrorist named Ron Karenga in the 1960s, whose most famous "contribution" to the cause was the violent rape/assault of two women and killing a couple of the Black Panthers. Oh no, it's a peaceful celebration about unity, blah blah. But honestly, what do I care if a black person wants to do the Karenga dance and call it kwanzaa? Doesn't affect my Advent or Christmas, so WGAF?

How many dumb***** hipsters wear Che Guevara t-shirts and don't know he was a murderous scumbag? Probably a lot. So what?

I went to a job interview at a college once, and in the room I was interviewed in, there was an old propaganda poster of VI Lenin, and on the dude's desk was a red star. OK, great, he's into Leninism. Maybe he knows the suffering Lenin caused to his own people, maybe he doesn't? WGAF?

So why would I care if a black person digs on the Stars & Bars? Their free speech, they can use it how they like.
What if they do all 3 together ?

Old 10-16-2014, 02:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
It's especially weird that in liberal parts of Maryland, which is south of the Mason Dixon Line and forced to stay in the Union during the war, that the guy running for lieutenant governor who is currently a county executive would call it a symbol of "subjugation" and "Racism". He is alienating basically all the voters on the Eastern Shore, Western Maryland and many exurban areas in central Maryland even and pandering to the liberal elite of the DC area, the ghetto Democrats, and the illegal aliens. This is the same person who wants to create state loans for illegal aliens because in-state tuition isn't generous enough for them.

I am a minority but I also am a Southerner and live in a rural area. Myself and many of my friends here in WV do have it and they are NOT racist. We don't see it as representing slavery. Liberals might see it as a symbol of racism and slavery but I really don't see why their interpretation of the flag should take precedence over ours. There are some who would say I am a self-hating minority because I have the Confederate flag but the culture i grew up around is as much a part of me, and perhaps more so than the culture of my parents' countries of birth especially since I was born and raised in the US.
Perhaps because our interpretation is correct and yours isn't. Outside of socv meetings you aren't going to find a whole lot of support for the view that all the civil war was fought for was "States rights", and that all the flag represents is cultural heritage. The war was purely fought for economic and political reasons related entirely to slavery. He has the ability to alienate them because only a handful of counties determine the election in Maryland. Democrat candidates for Governor pretty much never win in the rural areas of Maryland, so pandering to them is pointless.

Old 10-16-2014, 06:25 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,961,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
It matters not what's best but what's doable! I actually have a 2'x4' Gadson flag that I will be floating this Holiday season.... right below my US flag!

Better matters not, so says the Constitution!!!

I agree. It's a matter of personal opinion for me. I wouldn't fly the Confederate Flag myself, but I don't begrudge people who do. In fact if I fly any flags it would be the US flag, the Ohio state flag and the Gadsden flag.

Old 10-16-2014, 11:40 AM

7,846 posts, read 6,389,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Close your eyes.

If blind people arnt offended......
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
Don't look at it.
Blind people weren't lynched in the name of that flag.

Old 10-16-2014, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Why do I need to ask more questions? Free speech is free. It isn't required to pass literacy, heritage or meaning tests. It's just free.
It is only free if it doesn't infringe on the rights of others. My free speech doesn't include the threat of violence, for example.

Quote:
If a black person wears CSA flag stuff head to toe, joins the Klan or drives the General Lee...what do I care? Doesn't affect me in the least, nor does most free speech, even if boorish and moronic.

Black people celebrate kwanzaa like it is something from Africa or part of their heritage, and don't know it was created by a domestic terrorist named Ron Karenga in the 1960s, whose most famous "contribution" to the cause was the violent rape/assault of two women and killing a couple of the Black Panthers. Oh no, it's a peaceful celebration about unity, blah blah. But honestly, what do I care if a black person wants to do the Karenga dance and call it kwanzaa? Doesn't affect my Advent or Christmas, so WGAF?
Once again you are deflecting your blatant ignorance of the black community. Blacks don't celebrate Kwanzaa. American-born blacks are almost unanimously devout Christians.

Old 10-16-2014, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
It is a symbol of Southern heritage and pride, thus anywhere in the Confederacy or areas that are culturally Southern would be appropriate.
...no, it is a symbol of Southern racism.... which happens to be the sole heritage of the South. Slavery, racism, and Jim Crow. Flying a Confederate flag says "I'm damn proud of this history!!!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
What part of southern heritage is the Confederate flag representing? I have to ask because of this. 6 out of 10 African-Americans live in the South. A lion's share of the African-American population was born and raised in the South. And most African-Americans in this nation have southern roots(consider the Great Migration from the South to the North and West). And yet, I never see Blacks identify with the Confederate flag. In fact, most southern Blacks I've come in contact with don't like it at all. One has to consider why this is so. I'm sure that most Blacks in the USA could be considered southerners, but I don't see them identifying with it at all.
Exactly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
One Black man out of how many of the millions of Blacks in the USA? That one video does not refute that most Blacks do not identify with the Confederate flag. It does not refute that many don't like it. That video talks about that one man. What about the rest of the 40 million African-Americans in the USA? What about the estimated 22-25 million Blacks who live in the South?
Every black person I know up here gets enraged when they see that flag.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies