Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who's right about White Privilege
Jon Stewart 57 51.35%
Bill O'Reily 54 48.65%
Voters: 111. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2014, 03:16 PM

7,846 posts, read 6,369,044 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
Sure sounded like you wanted special treatment. About half your list (points 2, 5, 6, 7, 8, & 9) would require special treatment. Point #5 would require a mandatory sentencing guideline, which is also deemed as unfair to blacks.
Actually no, none of those require special treatment. Equal treatment is not special treatment. You are projecting giving up your own privilege to allow others equal footing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
A minority group, a small % of the population, with high poverty and crime are always going to be disadvantaged. The fact that the skin color is different highlights this. Blacks will never have the majority and can't be artificially given majority power so we have to live with the color difference and focus on the problems of crime and poverty. The disadvantage comes from the families and the only way out is to stop bring kids into the situation, like all bad situations involving all skin colors. That won't happen so we get to hear about this in perpetuity and it will never totally go away.
It won't go away because people with resources to fix the problems have no intention of doing it.

Quote:
"White privilege" isn't even the correct description, black disadvantage is.
LOL.

Quote:
This is why I've already decided to not pay any attention to it and just straight up vote against anything that even hints it's trying to address these things unless there is a sound medical breakthrough. I have better things to do.
Willful ignorance is an example of white privilege.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
And this is our fault... how? Blacks have been given generous opportunities since the Civil Rights era. If black neighborhoods are not nice places to be, instead of blaming us, why not work to improve them?
....generous opportunities?

Enlighten us as to these "generous opportunities." All I can remember is housing discrimination, voter intimidation, and voter suppression.

Quote:
Not a lack of preferential treatment. How about active discrimination? Is affirmative action not discriminatory against white people?
Is affirmative action a bigger problem than housing discrimination? If anything, affirmative action is corrective action against the very policy of housing discrimination.

Ironically, the biggest beneficiaries of affirmative action are white women.

Quote:
And keep up that attitude! You are alienating white people and waking them up to what's happening in our world. We are realizing the leftist cause is not one of equal rights, but an anti-white one. It's a cause that recognizes the right to self-determination for every race except whites.
I'm not alienating anyone. Conservatives are the ones getting defensive. They don't want to give up white privilege. That's why conservatives have a daily grievance with our black president.

Quote:
The rest of the world is relevant, too. This isn't just black and white. Every race is being invited to America and is being given preferential treatment in the form of affirmative action and this is happening almost everywhere in Western Europe, North America, Australia, etc. Why's it not happening in Africa? Japan? India? White ethnic replacement is the goal of the globalist elites.
You think brown immigrants are given preferential treatment over whites?

I just can't make this stuff up folks.

If you think Africa is so great, go apply for some scholarship programs there. You'll fit in with South Africa's racial caste system.

Quote:
Almost every-inner city majority black neighborhood in the US...
You've clearly never been to one. They don't beat up white people in inner-city neighborhoods. They have better things to do. They are more worried about rival gangs. They may laugh at you or tell you to leave for your own safety, but that's about it.

Quote:
See above. It isn't "defection." We're supposed to be color blind, yet minorities are not. The left would have you believe the whole world was color blind and us evil American whites weren't. But that's so far from the truth. The right of every ethnic group to advocate for their own self-interests is a given elsewhere in the world.
No one called whites evil. This is getting defensive again. Minorities aren't colorblind because white racists don't allow them to be. How can I forget about race when my race matters to ignorant conservatives?

Quote:
Don't put words in my mouth. I said nothing about going back to Africa. And I've made plenty of references to majority black areas of this country where I clearly showed how blacks in these areas enjoy privileges. You have every right to live where you want to, but you have no right to demand that any race, even the majority, give up their heritage and self-interest because it doesn't benefit you.
What privileges are enjoyed in poor black neighborhoods? Easier to get drugs? Easier to join a gang? Which is it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2014, 03:44 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,211,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
Actually no, none of those require special treatment. Equal treatment is not special treatment. You are projecting giving up your own privilege to allow others equal footing.
What privilege do I have that is stopping others from having what I have?

Stop shooting black teenagers. - Most blacks are killed by other blacks and most cop shootings are justified, but you seem fine with Asians and whites getting shot.

Stop sentencing blacks harsher than whites for the same crimes. - This would require minimum sentencing guidelines, which are criticized as harmful to blacks.

Stop arresting blacks for pretty drug crimes. - Again, this would be special treatment unless you are also advocating this policy for whites, Hispanics, and everyone else.

Stop gutting predominantely black schools. - Predominately white school districts had their budgets cut too. Why do you think black districts should be exempt?

Stop making predatory loans to blacks. - This would require restricting a service based on race, but you seem fine with predatory loans being made to whites, Asians, Hispanics, and everyone else - (otherwise why even bring race into this?).

Stop avoiding black neighborhoods for investment and redevelopment. - This would require forcing developers and investors to risk their money in undesirable neighborhoods, but you aren't advocating that we force investment in Appalachia. The irony though, is that when investment occurs in poor places people complain about the poor getting priced out of the market.

Old 10-17-2014, 03:54 PM

Quote:
What privilege do I have that is stopping others from having what I have?
You're ignoring the problems.

Quote:
Stop shooting black teenagers. - Most blacks are killed by other blacks and most cop shootings are justified, but you seem fine with Asians and whites getting shot.
This is an obvious reference to fearful white males shooting black teenagers; cops and civilians. On cue you deflected. Whites and Asians aren't getting shot by police as frequently.

Quote:
Stop sentencing blacks harsher than whites for the same crimes. - This would require minimum sentencing guidelines, which are criticized as harmful to blacks.
I would not oppose this personally.

Quote:
Stop arresting blacks for pretty drug crimes. - Again, this would be special treatment unless you are also advocating this policy for whites, Hispanics, and everyone else.
I advocate for decriminalization of drugs. It applies to everyone, but disproportionately affects blacks.

Quote:
Stop gutting predominantely black schools. - Predominately white school districts had their budgets cut too. Why do you think black districts should be exempt?
Strawman.

I did not say black districts should be exempt. I made the comment because the budget cuts are not equal. Black districts are targetted first.

Quote:
Stop making predatory loans to blacks. - This would require restricting a service based on race, but you seem fine with predatory loans being made to whites, Asians, Hispanics, and everyone else - (otherwise why even bring race into this?).
No, this is a misrepresentation of my post. I said nothing about other races. Once again, I take an issue with predatory loans period but they are targetted towards low income people (disproportionately black).

Quote:
Stop avoiding black neighborhoods for investment and redevelopment. - This would require forcing developers and investors to risk their money in undesirable neighborhoods, but you aren't advocating that we force investment in Appalachia. The irony though, is that when investment occurs in poor places people complain about the poor getting priced out of the market.
Clean them up. I understand the private sector has no obligation to invest in undesirable neighborhoods but the public sector does.

Old 10-17-2014, 03:55 PM

Some people are good at misrepresentation and making strawman arguments. Fifteen pages of conservative deflection.

Old 10-17-2014, 04:17 PM

1,300 posts, read 1,488,035 times
Well that depends on how you define "success." Are Nigerians the most educated? Yes. Do they have the highest salaries? Nope.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Kinda like Black people who came here "free"? Word is the MOST successful "race" in the US are those Black dudes and ladies from Nigeria, Kenya and so on along with their kids. Our POTUS is on of them.

That cuts out "racism" as the MAIN reason Black people as a group don't do near as well as anglo whites, "Hispanics" who ain't illegal aliens or Asians as a group.

Old 10-17-2014, 04:33 PM

14,498 posts, read 9,380,193 times
Quote:
....generous opportunities?

Enlighten us as to these "generous opportunities." All I can remember is housing discrimination, voter intimidation, and voter suppression.
Yes, opportunities. Affirmative action, scholarships, representation in the media, social programs like welfare and food stamps: all these things have been given to black Americans. I'm not saying life is perfect for black people. We all have to overcome obstacles in life, both as individuals and as a group. Considering how generous concessions have been, and how government policy has so strongly promoted black success, how can you still blame racial inequalities on whites? And how do the things you mentioned compare to black-on-white violence in America? How does it compare to the tens of thousands of black-on-white rapes in this country annually (compared to the very small number of white-on-black ones in comparison). Or the massive problem of black-on-white crime in general? If whites were raping blacks tens of thousands of times per year, there would be an uproar. As as it, there's barely a peep.

Quote:
You think brown immigrants are given preferential treatment over whites?
Do I think that? Yes, I think they do. They receive benefits for being minorities, such as affirmative action. That's a form of special treatment. I'm not saying their lives are all cushy, not by any means. I don't think the sell-out globalists really care too much about average white people or average black people, or Asians, or Hispanics. They care about importing loads of people from the Third World for cheap labor. That's a big part of why real wages are being driven down in this country.

Quote:
If you think Africa is so great, go apply for some scholarship programs there. You'll fit in with South Africa's racial caste system.
What caste system? The Apartheid is history.

Quote:
You've clearly never been to one. They don't beat up white people in inner-city neighborhoods. They have better things to do. They are more worried about rival gangs. They may laugh at you or tell you to leave for your own safety, but that's about it.
Better things like what? They may be more worried about rival gangs, but they see white people as easy targets. And really? Now you're just denying what almost everyone knows as the truth. If venturing into white neighborhoods posed even a fraction of the danger to blacks compared to the dangers whites would face in a black neighborhood, there's be a constant uproar! Like a new Mike Brown or Trayvon Martin every day or so. Just in the news (not the mainstream news!) recently, as an example, was how a black bus driver in Baltimore organized a mob to assault a white family. Can you imagine if the roles were reversed? The riots would be ten or more times greater than the Ferguson ones. Yet if you paid attention to the sheer number of white victims of black violence, you'd realize just how massive this problem is. How about the racist knock out game?!

Quote:
What privileges are enjoyed in poor black neighborhoods? Easier to get drugs? Easier to join a gang? Which is it?
In short, everything white privilege is purported to be. If you're a white person growing up in a majority black neighborhood, I can't imagine how the notion of white privilege could even remotely apply. You are more likely to be singled out and excluded because of your race. Employment opportunities may become few in number. EVERYTHING that blacks attribute to white racism works the other way when blacks are the majority. So when we white people wake up and realize we have legitimate ethnic interests just like any other race or ethnicity, we'll ask why are we self-sacrificing? Why are we allowing ourselves to be discriminated against, and to be ethnically replaced all around the world? Is it out of the goodness of our hearts? What people in their right minds import outsiders into their countries and look forward to the day when they're minorities themselves? ONLY white people! When will, say, Arabs, or Asians, welcome millions of ethnic minorities into their countries and look forward to becoming minorities themselves?

Last edited by snj90; 10-17-2014 at 04:43 PM..

Old 10-17-2014, 04:49 PM

3,436 posts, read 2,937,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Everyone is privileged by what their parents and grandparents did to build our country and our families. You don't think Michael Jordan's kids are privileged? Of course they are and so are Bill Gates kids....based on their what their families built which was built on what their parents built...

In general, whites have done a better job of building "privileges" than other tribal groups. My parents wanted me to enjoy what they built and I want my kids to enjoy what I've built...it's human nature.
Really? You do realize that they had a really big head start right? If you call committing genocide on people to claim land that was already inhabited a better job of building, then I guess so. Interesting that you disregard what was done to others in the process.

Old 10-17-2014, 04:52 PM

3,436 posts, read 2,937,899 times
Anyone who refuses to acknowledge that White privilege exists is in denial or racist...It's not about playing the victim. Everything I have is because I worked hard for it and because I had certain opportunities (love and support of family, a good education, comfort) and I have given the same to my two sons. Yet I know that they are more likely to be pulled over, stopped by the police or followed around a department store than their White peers. The majority of drug users are White, yet the majority of prison inmates serving time for drug use and other drug related crimes are Black and I could go on. Systematic racism isn't dead and ignoring it, sweeping it under the rug or claiming that minorities are privileged because of affirmative action and government assistance programs that are actually available to all citizens only inhibits the healing process that is long overdue for this country. I'm tired of the right accusing minorities of wanting free stuff and claiming that racism doesn't exist simply because we have a Black president. John Stewart makes a very good point about Blacks serving in the military and being denied the same privileges as White soldiers or Veterans. There are still people who benefited or were denied these privileges, based on their race alone, alive today...it wasn't that long ago. Get over it you say...acknowledge it and stop it, I say! To solve a problem, you must first admit that one exists!

Old 10-17-2014, 05:51 PM

37,942 posts, read 17,730,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
I am a white female.

I was born in 1970.

I did graduate high school.....but, not with honors.

Part of our home had dirt floors........that is right......only the kitchen had wood floors and pluming......no bath room.

Tell me about being poor and not having what others had.

I had my first million by my mid-thirties.
well the first thing you know ole drillers a millionaire
the kinfolks said get the.........

Old 10-17-2014, 05:54 PM

409 posts, read 256,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Factsplease View Post
To solve a problem, you must first admit that one exists!
Like the incredibly disproportionate amount of violent crime and homicide committed by blacks?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies