Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2014, 06:27 AM

4,651 posts, read 4,592,818 times

Advertisements

There are plenty of $7 jobs , nobody needs this kind of job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2014, 06:28 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,137,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian Slums View Post
That's my point. I'm not finding them. I doubt they exist.
Anecdotal BS. Enough!
Yet none of these people who espouse these fictional studies ever quit their jobs to go on welfare. You'd figure if it were a better deal they'd do just that.

You're right.. It's a canard.

Old 10-18-2014, 06:30 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,458,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Restrain View Post
You have that right. In many states especially CA and the northeast, you make more off govt bennies than working an 8 hour job.

??? What does an able-bodied, childless non-senior adult make off govt benefits?

6,387 posts, read 6,277,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
Uh huh.

Stay in the dark then. There are even studies posted right here on this forum.
Uh huh. Then why can't I find them? Why can't you link them?

7,214 posts, read 9,394,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
Yet none of these people who espouse these fictional studies ever quit their jobs to go on welfare. You'd figure if it were a better deal they'd do just that.

It's the right wing myth of the "welfare queen" that lives more lavishly than you or I. You know, the one that everyone sees in front of them in the checkout line at the grocery store, nails and hair all done up and dressed in Armani...paying for steak and lobster with their food stamps, then getting into their brand new Escalade that has the Obama bumper sticker on it.

Old 10-18-2014, 06:33 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,277,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post

EXACTLY. They do NOT.

Are you saying that they do?

Just show me the facts.

Old 10-18-2014, 06:46 AM

9,884 posts, read 10,975,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scobby View Post
There are plenty of $7 jobs , nobody needs this kind of job.
A $7 job? where are they, I never see them around here, and Montana is supposedly a low wage state!
McDonalds pays $9.50 to $10.50 per hour, and they seem to be ALWAYS hiring.
A local sign company has been advertising on their curbside sign that they need installers and maintenance technicians. The sign has been up for a couple months.
Not every job can pay $20/hour.
Yes, I see it too. Lots of "Now Hiring" signs, but the street corner cardboard sign holders are often in evidence. However, now that it is getting colder, the sign holders are disappearing.
As for the other issue, I have read many news articles over the years about welfare recipients who got a job and lost money, and I have personally seen well dressed people, driving a better vehicle than I could afford, paying for their groceries with food stamps. I have also seen people pay for their GROCERIES with food stamps, then pull out a wad of cash bigger than I have to pay for their soda, beer, and cigarettes.
Such stories may be "myths", but they have a basis in facts!

Old 10-18-2014, 06:50 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,458,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
A $7 job? where are they, I never see them around here, and Montana is supposedly a low wage state!
A local sign company has been advertising on their curbside sign that they need installers and maintenance technicians. The sign has been up for a couple months.
Yes, I see it too. Lots of "Now Hiring" signs, but the street corner cardboard sign holders are often in evidence. However, now that it is getting colder, the sign holders are disappearing.
As for the other issue, I have read many news articles over the years about welfare recipients who got a job and lost money, and I have personally seen well dressed people, driving a better vehicle than I could afford, paying for their groceries with food stamps. I have also seen people pay for their GROCERIES with food stamps, then pull out a wad of cash bigger than I have to pay for their soda, beer, and cigarettes.

Your Mileage May Vary; some places have a labor shortage and higher wages, some places have a labor surplus and low wages. people aren't exactly clamoring too move to Montana. (Except Zappa and he's dead.)

Old 10-18-2014, 06:54 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,344,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
Perhaps you saw my friend Jean.

She drives one of my trucks......about a $37,000 truck....she buys food for her disabled mother.....she does used some food stamps....(the card thing).

Did she buy a few things for herself while she was there????

Maybe.

Old 10-18-2014, 06:54 AM

1,458 posts, read 2,659,026 times
Yet another thread where half of the posters flatly deny that young urban women play the system (despite the fact that I personally know those who do, and it involves a lot more than food stamps) thus ensuring the other half dismiss them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies