Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2014, 06:43 AM

7,214 posts, read 9,375,282 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAGeorge View Post
Because living on the dole and working off the books makes for a rather handsome life?
Right.

Living on Welfare is a Tough Reality.

What I learned from living a week on food stamps: Paul Ryan couldn't be any more wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2014, 06:52 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,015,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Tinkle test and criminal record check folks.

One needs to pass those 2 items to get almost any job above a burger flipper these days.
Fact......

Old 10-19-2014, 10:14 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,388,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
If this were truly a problem, wages would rise organically.

How so? The supply of low-wage labor far exceeds demand; largely due to undocumented workers from other countries. These undocumented workers are distributed unevenly across the country; the places where wages rise are the places with the fewest illegals.

Old 10-19-2014, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Ten years ago, Mark Zuckerberg launched FB from his dorm room. Today he has a net worth of $33+ billion.
While I can't say with any certainty, I suspect Zuckerberg has probably never read an SEC rule.

What does " ideas of starting a business" have to do with innovation?

What does getting bogged down in SEC IPO rules have to do with "ideas of starting a business" ?

Crowdfunding is an approach used by many businesses that have evolved beyond the " ideas of starting a business" stage.

I don't understand crowdfunding, it seems to be for those with some sort of agenda to promote. why else would one fund a startup in which their money afford them NO equity interest?

Old 10-19-2014, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Tinkle test and criminal record check folks.

One needs to pass those 2 items to get almost any job above a burger flipper these days.

If welfare recipients were working jobs that required a tinkle test sure...but they're working those burger flipping jobs that don't require one.

Old 10-19-2014, 10:21 AM

7,997 posts, read 12,692,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post
More and more Americans are refusing to work for crap wages. Companies that actually pay their workers a decent wage get their pick of the quality applicants.

I laugh when I drive by a local temp hiring place and they advertise factory line work positions for like $11/hr. That's barely more than I made working in a factory back in '99, when I was still in college.
That's what I have been noticing here in southern middle Tennessee. Factory jobs pay less than they did back in 2000. There are employers advertising factory jobs for 9 to 11 dollars per hour that were paying 12 to 15 dollars and hour in 2005.

I'm not in need of a factory job but I do keep an eye on the labor market; I don't know how people manage on this type of income.

Old 10-19-2014, 10:22 AM

7,214 posts, read 9,375,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post

I'm not in need of a factory job but I do keep an eye on the labor market; I don't know how people manage on this type of income.
They manage by having to rely on a second income or using food stamps, etc. to supplement their income. That is the economic system many people in this country want.

Old 10-19-2014, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
It is very easy to start a business in the US. I personally know people, some who are immigrants, come over here and start up so far successful businesses. Out of the three immigrants I know that are business owners, they certainly were far from rich when they came over here; two have food stores catering to their ethnic/nationality groups; another works in the IT field in software, sort of like a contractor but he is his own company. I just remembered now, I know two brothers that are immigrants and have a nice car repair business.

So if people can come on over to the US and establish a business just fine, I guarantee there is no barrier to any one else, especially a citizen, doing so.

But I have seen your other posts on this forum, you are very absent of business and economic logic, heavy on excuses.

Really, you think most business owners know anything about the SEC or at all are involved in any way with them?

??? how does a burger flipper start a burger joint...or a pizza driver start a pizza shop?

Takes far more money than a burger flipper has, hence the need for more partners; that's where the legalities get complicated.

Small business owners with sufficient startup capital don't need to know anything about the SEC; burger flippers who need hundreds of partners to launch DO need to know about the SEC.

Old 10-19-2014, 10:33 AM

Quitting a minimum wage job disqualifies you fro unemployment benefits; keeping a minimum wage job affords you a tax cut windfall of only $250 per year.

Old 10-19-2014, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CravingMountains View Post
Denver has help wanted signs all over the place. It is very nice to see after living in Florida for so many years where the economy has been so bad.

The only Help Wanted sign I saw in Portland was in the window of a Japanese restaurant...and it was written in Spanish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies