Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2014, 10:44 PM

8,483 posts, read 6,928,669 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculptor View Post
The fact they had been vaccinated only guarantees the fact a hypodermic needle was injected or a dose was given by mouth, it does NOT mean the recipient was "vaccinated" because vaccines can and do fail, and not every patient always has the desired immune response that would cause them to be immune/vaccinated.

You can get vaccinated and still get the disease the vaccine was for.

You see this in dogs too, dogs vaccinated for parvo every year still coming down with parvo, no vaccine is 100% 100% of the time.
Every story I saw basically said the same thing. All mentioned polio vaccination, but no details of when they were vaccinated and when symptoms occurred. Only 2 of 5 were tested for EV 68. The others from the "20" seem unclear as to whether they were tested for anything either. Mentioning vaccinations in every article and not mentioning details as to when vaccination occurred (or what kind) and when symptoms occurred is not very good reporting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2014, 11:13 PM

37,092 posts, read 41,220,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDusr View Post
I just posted the enterovirus information and the reporting information describing it as "polio-like".
From the link I posted earlier.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polio-like_syndrome
quote:
Polio-like syndrome is a general description of a group of symptoms which mimic polio, including rarely permanent paralysis. Various causes have been found including some viruses from the same virus group, the enteroviruses as polio: enterovirus 68, enterovirus 71, and coxsackievirus A7.

However, they did not confirm that they all were the enterovirus 68.(according to the stories only 2 of the 5 were tested, don't know about the rest) They also don't don't give details of when they were vaccinated. The one statement involving the 2yr old implies a sequence of events. Dismissing an illness simply based on whether someone is vaccinated does not make sense.

The polio vaccine is very effective, and polio is no longer endemic in the US. Therefore, someone with polio-like symptoms in the US is unlikely to have polio, especially if s/he has been vaccinated and not traveled to a country that still has it (Afghanistan, Nigeria and Pakistan). That leads the people who are investigating the paralysis cases to look for non-polio viruses as the cause. That is how the enterovirus D68 was picked up.

The statement about Sofia was written by the author of the article. I do not know whether the author understood that the sentence makes it sound like Sofia got polio from the vaccine. Sofia did not have polio, she had enterovirus D68, which can cause the same symptoms. The only significance of being vaccinated for polio is that it pretty much excludes polio as a cause of polio-like symptoms in this country. The only way to get polio is from someone who has it or from the oral vaccine. It lives only in humans. The oral vaccine is not used in the US, and humans with it would have to come here from another country. The last time that happened was 1993.

Old 10-22-2014, 11:29 PM

Quote:
The fact they had been vaccinated only guarantees the fact a hypodermic needle was injected or a dose was given by mouth, it does NOT mean the recipient was "vaccinated" because vaccines can and do fail, and not every patient always has the desired immune response that would cause them to be immune/vaccinated.

You see this in dogs too, dogs vaccinated for parvo every year still coming down with parvo, no vaccine is 100% 100% of the time.
Quote:
Every story I saw basically said the same thing. All mentioned polio vaccination, but no details of when they were vaccinated and when symptoms occurred. Only 2 of 5 were tested for EV 68. The others from the "20" seem unclear as to whether they were tested for anything either. Mentioning vaccinations in every article and not mentioning details as to when vaccination occurred (or what kind) and when symptoms occurred is not very good reporting.
Folks, these children do not have polio. The polio vaccine did not cause the paralysis. To get the disease that you were vaccinated for but for which the vaccine failed, you still have to be exposed to the disease. Polio lives only in humans. You cannot get it in the US because there are no humans with polio to which you can be exposed, or technically to whose feces you can be exposed, and the US does not use the oral vaccine.

The last reported cases of polio circulating in the US were in an Amish community in 1979. The last case imported from abroad was in 1993.

The US previously used the oral vaccine rather than the shot. However, there is a risk of getting polio from it because it uses live virus. The US has stopped using live virus oral vaccine for that reason.

These children do not have polio. The polio vaccine they got was the shot, not the oral vaccine. The vaccine is only mentioned to show that they were almost certainly immune to polio, not that the vaccine caused their symptoms.

Many of the patients were not tested because they got sick before doctors were aware of the problem with enterovirus D68 and started ordering the test. It is not something just automatically tested for.

Old 10-23-2014, 02:57 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,823,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USAGeorge
Do you trust the CDC?
I dont think ANYONE should blindly believe them!!

Old 10-23-2014, 09:51 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,584,391 times
Quote:
future owed rep 4u my friend the main scream media of hysteria always hates americans to "question" their propaganda.

NOTICE how frequent this is since they found fake shills from faux news on 911 doing "man on the street interviews". US "newz" is about as relevant as The Simpsons now.

Sad.

How much more flesh is left of Rupert Murdoch? he must be on blood transfusions by now.

Old 10-23-2014, 09:57 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,584,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Now that the dust has settled, it is clear that the CDC got it just about right. Everything was contained, all Americans we successfully treated, the people they said were not at risk really were not, and we move on to the next crisis. My faith in them is certainly better than it was a few weeks ago. Maybe they really do know how to handle Ebola.
Visit an oncology center, I take my friend weekly there.

We are not to trust the CDC with its zombie nonsense. And people with cancer don't need to wear breath masks.
Oh wait, but didn't the EPA in 2001 say Ground Zero was safe, and now we have 1100 RARE blood cancers down in NYC.

Do your own research, bcs you will NEVER get facts from our military owned media.

Old 10-23-2014, 10:01 PM

760 posts, read 767,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Folks, these children do not have polio..

Why are you including ME in your "folks..." quote on that? I'm not stupid, I never said a word about polio or polio vaccine, nor did I claim anyone had polio or even symptoms of something like polio.

Old 10-23-2014, 10:05 PM

760 posts, read 767,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Now that the dust has settled, it is clear that the CDC got it just about right. Everything was contained, all Americans we successfully treated,
New headlines today say another doctor is now infected, this time in New York City, guess they didn't get it quite as "right" as you thought, who knows how many people he had contact with getting TO New York City, and on the subway, bus, taxi, whatever, just great!

Quote:
October 23, 2014
NEW YORK
- A health care worker who recently had been to West Africa tested positive for the Ebola virus in New York City Thursday, Mayor Bill de Blasio confirmed at an evening press conference.
Quote:
Dr. Craig Spencer, 33, who worked with the aid group Doctors Without Borders,
I have an idea, how about these "no border" doctors who go to Africa just freaking STAY THERE and don't come back here!

"We know that during the time that the patient was home before he became sick that he did leave his apartment," Bassett explained. "We are aware that he went on a 3 mile jog...and he also took the subway system, we know that he's ridden on the A train, the 1 train, the L train.
"Yesterday he went to a bowling alley in Williamsburg, he was feeling well at that time except for his feeling of fatigue. The patient went there with friends and he did bowl."

So how many other bowlers at the alley touched the bowling balls he touched now?

Old 10-23-2014, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Why are you including ME in your "folks..." quote on that? I'm not stupid, I never said a word about polio or polio vaccine, nor did I claim anyone had polio or even symptoms of something like polio.
You said:

"Originally Posted by Sculptor View Post

You see this in dogs too, dogs vaccinated for parvo every year still coming down with parvo, no vaccine is 100% 100% of the time."

The vaccine under discussion was polio vaccine.

You describe a vaccine that was injected or given by mouth. The only one I know of that fits that description is polio vaccine. I think it is reasonable to infer you were talking about polio vaccine.

Perhaps I misunderstood and you were not referring to possible failure of polio vaccine, which would imply the children we were discussing possibly had polio?

The other poster I responded to appears to be concerned that the vaccine itself caused the current problems.

I merely combined my response to the both of you.

Old 10-24-2014, 07:06 AM

4,651 posts, read 4,589,810 times
That's the wrong question, suddenly somebody woke up and realize the CDC is incompetent ?

Why today ? CDC has been around for years and nobody ever complained about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies