Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2014, 11:56 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Perhaps they should try this in every state. I don't think a person should be paying to vote.
That's fine by me!

Old 10-21-2014, 12:01 PM

72,979 posts, read 62,554,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
That's fine by me!
At least Texas has solved part of the problem. In Georgia, there are still some problems.

Old 10-21-2014, 12:15 PM

156 posts, read 119,236 times
Quote:
'

That's why in Texas you can get a FREE Election Identification Card:
TxDPS - Election Identification Certificate (EIC)
Texas...The beacon of progressivism!

Old 10-21-2014, 03:36 PM

62,872 posts, read 29,103,656 times
Quote:
Perhaps they should try this in every state. I don't think a person should be paying to vote.
Kind of a stretch isn't it? They're not paying to vote they are paying to get an ID. An ID can be used for many other things. Next you hear the lame excuse that they have no way to get to the DMV for an ID. It's just excuse after excuse and how anyone functions in society without an ID is beyond me anyway.

Old 10-21-2014, 08:17 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,962,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bureaucat View Post
The GOP's problems are deeper than white guilt. Otherwise they wouldn't have lost the popular vote in 5 of the last 6 elections. Obama wasn't elected by Republican voters. There is a declining number of Republican base voters, at least in terms of a percentage of the electorate, if not raw numbers. According to Pew Research, in 2012, whites comprised 88% of Republican voters in 2012, a year when whites made up 72% of voters and 62% of the general population. The Democratic split was 56% white, 44% Minority. The white share of the vote has fallen in every Presidential election, with the exception of one (1992) since 1984. It's projected to fall to 70% in 2016.

Turning to hispanic voters, their importance varies greatly from state to state, because their population is concentrated in certain areas. Hispanic voters are a big reason that Illinois, California and New Jersey started voting solid Democrat back in 1992. They're causing the GOP major problems now in Colorado, Florida, Nevada and New Mexico. Romney won white voters by 24% in Florida for example, but the non-Cuban Hispanic vote was strong enough to carry the state for Obama.

There isn't a Democratic lock on the Presidency, but there is a narrow path to 270 electoral votes for the GOP, and it's getting harder with each Presidential election cycle.
Great post by you, as is typical for you!

Old 10-22-2014, 08:32 AM

14,497 posts, read 9,427,121 times
I think she's right. Democrats benefit from growing numbers of Hispanics. Republicans can do little other than become Democrats themselves to appeal to large numbers of Hispanics. Republicans should try to appeal to their white supporters instead.

Old 10-22-2014, 08:41 AM

72,979 posts, read 62,554,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
I think she's right. Democrats benefit from growing numbers of Hispanics. Republicans can do little other than become Democrats themselves to appeal to large numbers of Hispanics. Republicans should try to appeal to their white supporters instead.
I think she has a very jingoist mentality. Republicans have been able to get a sizable amount of the Hispanic vote before. Many Hispanics share some of the conservative values. To say "forget Hispanics" concentrate on Whites only, is to basically say "only White people count". Maybe Republicans can gain more Hispanic votes by concentrating on issues other than immigration. Hispanics, along with Blacks, are in favor of school vouchers. The Republicans could garner more votes by telling both groups, "elect me, and I will see to it that we get more vouchers". Start concentrating on what voters have in common. Want votes, ask the people what their issues are, actually listen. Maybe the reason Hispanics(and Blacks even more so) are avoiding the Republican Party is because of perception that minorities aren't really wanted. And when you say "forget minorities", that will basically confirm what some people feel.

Old 10-22-2014, 08:51 AM

20,524 posts, read 15,895,818 times
Quote:
I think she has a very jingoist mentality. Republicans have been able to get a sizable amount of the Hispanic vote before. Many Hispanics share some of the conservative values. To say "forget Hispanics" concentrate on Whites only, is to basically say "only White people count". Maybe Republicans can gain more Hispanic votes by concentrating on issues other than immigration. Hispanics, along with Blacks, are in favor of school vouchers. The Republicans could garner more votes by telling both groups, "elect me, and I will see to it that we get more vouchers". Start concentrating on what voters have in common. Want votes, ask the people what their issues are, actually listen. Maybe the reason Hispanics(and Blacks even more so) are avoiding the Republican Party is because of perception that minorities aren't really wanted. And when you say "forget minorities", that will basically confirm what some people feel.
Uh; "Hispanic" ain't a race. Many are actually "white" going by their DNA. Just like same are "BlacK" but get really mad if someone says they're of that race like Dominicans. But most "Hispanic" people use that label to try to get more goodies IMHO.

Old 10-22-2014, 09:34 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,868,965 times
Quote:
'

That's why in Texas you can get a FREE Election Identification Card:
TxDPS - Election Identification Certificate (EIC)
KA, as many times as several of us have pointed this out, they still don't seem to believe us.....

Old 10-22-2014, 09:50 AM

62,872 posts, read 29,103,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
Agreed, at least most whites that I know of aren't demanding that our politicians thumb their noses at our laws for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies