Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2014, 10:42 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,800,800 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
well if that's the case...that nearly all min wage jobs are part time...as per your quote....then the whole thread about raising the min wage is a strawman... its not necessary if they are all parttime.........hmmmm

post set match
Because those cheap employers that only pay minimum wage, do not want to provide full time benefits either.

Quote:
Walmart's employees receive $2.66 billion in government help every year, or about $420,000 per store. They are also the top recipients of Medicaid in numerous states. Why does this occur? Walmart fails to provide a livable wage and decent healthcare benefits, costing U.S. taxpayers an annual average of $1.02 billion in healthcare costs. This direct public subsidy is being given to offset the failures of an international corporate giant who shouldn’t be shifting part of its labor costs onto the American taxpayers.
Walmart: America's real 'Welfare Queen'
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2014, 10:46 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,800,800 times
Remember, if a person cannot support themselves by working full time, they will have to rely on government subsidies.

Old 10-24-2014, 11:08 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,471,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Your response was to attribute inflation to an increase in minimum wage. My response was to ask you why/how inflation happened during the past 5 years in spite of no increase in minimum wage and how this inflation makes minimum wage earners more poor.
but meanwhile the min wage was raised in 07 and 09 ...09 being only 5 years ago....and it certainly is part of inflation...along with higher taxes

Old 10-24-2014, 11:10 AM

Quote:
actually its the endpoint of the globalization that liberals push

hmmm liberal government bails out GM,,, then they go build a new assembly plant in mexico....

go figure

Old 10-24-2014, 12:12 PM

17,400 posts, read 11,967,439 times
Quote:
The whole point of raising minimum wage is to allow those who work an honest full-time job the ability to support themselves without the need for government support.

Remember, when we subsidize the income of low wage workers, we are really subsidizing the selfish CEOs who pay themselves millions and expect us tax payers to pay for their employees.
Gotta love people who think it's ok to force businesses to make decisions based on popular opinion, with the might of the government backing it up.

Just had this conversation yesterday with a middle aged woman working at a sub shop. She said she thought the minimum wage needed to be raised (not a lot, just to $9. Not anything crazy like $11 or $12). I asked why, and she said because things cost more now, and she needs more money to survive. I told her that I make about 3 times that, but things are more expensive for me also. I asked what my boss would say if I went in and told him he was being FORCED to give me a raise. She had no answer for that. Then I asked where the money for her higher wage would come from, and when she had no answer for that either, I told it would come in the form of more expensive sandwiches. Which means that folks will stop coming in, because they couldn't afford the luxury of her product. Which means she will lose her job.

I finally left after asking her why, if she wanted to earn $9 an hour instead of minimum wage, she didn't go get a job that paid that wage. She answered that she couldn't find a job like that with her work experience and the fact that she needed flexible hours because of her kids.

No wonder the conversation started because their TV was tuned to MSNBC. No surprise there.

There is NO POINT of raising minimum wage.

Old 10-24-2014, 12:34 PM

11,143 posts, read 10,704,481 times
Quote:
Your response was to attribute inflation to an increase in minimum wage. My response was to ask you why/how inflation happened during the past 5 years in spite of no increase in minimum wage and how this inflation makes minimum wage earners more poor.
At no point have I contributed inflation wholly to minimum wage. Anyone with even passing knowledge of economics knows that there is no one single thing that causes inflation. Inflation is caused by a multitude of factors.

However, your argument is that raising the minimum wage will not cause any inflation, or will cause so little inflation that it will be unnoticeable, which is a logical fallacy. Quite frankly, there is no way to know how much inflation would be caused by raising the minimum wage - but we do know that some inflation would happen, because historically minimum wage raises have been followed by higher prices on goods and services. If your point was valid, the previous raises of the minimum wage would have resulted in a long-term improvement in the standard of living for minimum wage earners. Since you've ignored or evaded the question every time I've asked it, I'll ask again: When is the last time that raising the minimum wage resulted in minimum wage earners being better off for the long term?

Old 10-24-2014, 02:16 PM

6,369 posts, read 6,405,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Gotta love people who think it's ok to force businesses to make decisions based on popular opinion, with the might of the government backing it up.

Just had this conversation yesterday with a middle aged woman working at a sub shop. She said she thought the minimum wage needed to be raised (not a lot, just to $9. Not anything crazy like $11 or $12). I asked why, and she said because things cost more now, and she needs more money to survive. I told her that I make about 3 times that, but things are more expensive for me also. I asked what my boss would say if I went in and told him he was being FORCED to give me a raise. She had no answer for that. Then I asked where the money for her higher wage would come from, and when she had no answer for that either, I told it would come in the form of more expensive sandwiches. Which means that folks will stop coming in, because they couldn't afford the luxury of her product. Which means she will lose her job.

I finally left after asking her why, if she wanted to earn $9 an hour instead of minimum wage, she didn't go get a job that paid that wage. She answered that she couldn't find a job like that with her work experience and the fact that she needed flexible hours because of her kids.

No wonder the conversation started because their TV was tuned to MSNBC. No surprise there.

There is NO POINT of raising minimum wage.
What gets me is that in every town in the country there is a long-term nursing facility that will train unskilled people to work as Certified Nursing Assistants and pay them $10-$12 per hour, even in low-cost rural areas. But instead of going to get the higher wage job (which by the way is pretty clear evidence that society values the CNA more than the sandwich builder), the person working as a sandwich builder just moans and whines--and acts like they have some sort of a right to both work as a sandwich builder AND command wages above what the labor is worth, based on need. IF YOU REALLY NEED A HIGHER WAGE, GO GET IT! Just like everyone else has in the history of the universe.

Old 10-24-2014, 02:25 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,443,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
What gets me is that in every town in the country there is a long-term nursing facility that will train unskilled people to work as Certified Nursing Assistants and pay them $10-$12 per hour, even in low-cost rural areas. But instead of going to get the higher wage job (which by the way is pretty clear evidence that society values the CNA more than the sandwich builder), the person working as a sandwich builder just moans and whines--and acts like they have some sort of a right to both work as a sandwich builder AND command wages above what the labor is worth, based on need. IF YOU REALLY NEED A HIGHER WAGE, GO GET IT! Just like everyone else has in the history of the universe.

Just goes to show that for many people it's about more than the pay. Hard to get many people to take and keep a sucky job they hate.

Old 10-24-2014, 02:35 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,443,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
but that wont happen

1. they qualify for 'help', way past the 10/15/16 dollar per hour level...so your entire OP is mute

2. raises will lower their allowable deductions at tax time...especially the EIC, and medical deduction
3. it will put them in a higher tax bracket
4. medical coverage subsidies will be lower, meaning higher out of pocket costs to them

and yes prices/cost will go up...maybe not my much, but prices on everything/service will not cost more

there are no winners by raising the min wage...only entities getting any benefit is the irs and unon bosses

wch

??? I have never qualified for anything on a full time minimum wage income. What have you been smoking?

Old 10-24-2014, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
??? I have never qualified for anything on a full time minimum wage income. What have you been smoking?
really freemkt, is that all you got,,,accuse me of smoking something

have you ever TRIED????

back in the 90's I was a single dad...making 14/hr needed daycare assistance (daycare costed 200/week) I was able to get assistance, the cut off back then was 30,900, I was making 30k....the cut off now is 48k

assistance is not just FULL RIDE assisiatnce...and its not just for parents...even as a single guy you qualify for some assistance........but you have to be willing to ask for help...instead of complaining on the internet......

....but we know you DONT WANT assistance....your already looking for your 3/4 pension from SS

for many years you have been saying '''''you can't'''''' get help, or get training:

Quote:

Quote:

Sure I do I want to go back to school but can't afford it.

oh please....you have proven time and time again you are not interested in any type of self improvement

Quote:

??? How does someone in a menial dead-end job improve their work skills?
been answered many, many times....you refuse to listen and learn from anyone

Quote:

I can't find full time work, I have no marketable skills and employers prefer unskilled workers half my age, plus I have student loan debt that reduces what little available money I have.
many posters to including myself and one Mod, have given you many, many suggestions and avenues of approach for fixing and helping your situation......

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero
but all you do is give excuses of why you cant....

many have suggested the library.....but you have an excuse of why you cant

many have suggested job shaddowing...but you have an excuse of why you cant

many have suggested grants, loans, etc....you have an exuses of why you cant

all you want to do is blame someone to include your parents, but you never look in the mirror

your 50+ years old man...get with the program

Quote:
but you will have an excuse...you even bragg about how you are on you way to a 2/3 SS pension and are stealing from the government by working off the books

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt
I'm on track to get $900 a month from Social Security. Take that away and I'm in deep doo doo. Poor grandpa, that will be me in a few years.b

What's that you say, I should have saved for retirement? How much do you realistically expect people to save on a $15K income?
http://www.city-data.com/forum/28136761-post187.html

Quote:
so let's see if I get this straight

your 50 something...and supposedly UNSKILLED (at 50...really?????)

you settle for a 15k a year job

save NOTHING

and then plan on getting a 2/3 pension when you retire (900/month is over 10k a year )

btw your contributions to ss 6%...6% of 15k is 900 A YEAR

so you think it good that you contribut 900 a year (and your employeer matches it) for you to get 900/month????? how liberal of you

funny thing is many posters to including myself and one Mod, have given you many, many suggestions and avenues of approach for fixing and helping your situation......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies