Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2014, 02:10 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,465,032 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meowtotheworld View Post
Sure, but the owner of the business does not consider two people of the same gender as being able to form a legitimate union, so by definition the wedding services offered preclude that type of ceremony.
It doesn't matter what he thinks. The state says gay marriage is a legitimate legal union. As a business he has to follow the law.

Old 10-20-2014, 02:10 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,595,372 times
I support gay civil unions and voluntary religious marriage 100%.

Conversely I oppose the state forcing people to accommodate those they do not wish to accommodate 100% as well.

I hope these folks sue and win big for this infringement.

Old 10-20-2014, 02:14 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,595,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
All Business's must follow the law or face the consequences for their actions just like you and I must follow the law or face consequences for our actions.
Separation of state from church is as valid and necessary as separation of church from state.

Old 10-20-2014, 02:17 PM

22,190 posts, read 19,462,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreutz View Post
Separation of state from church is as valid and necessary as separation of church from state.
I'm not arguing that issue, however a for-profit business is not a church.

Old 10-20-2014, 02:22 PM

3,201 posts, read 4,410,406 times
just like the cake fiasco

if someone doesnt like money then go to a gay friendly place, find a nice gay minister to perform the nuptuals

why give money to people that dont want to serve you

its so simple

me personally running a business all i see is green money, flaming gays lbgt whoever can give me their money

Old 10-20-2014, 02:25 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,094,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meowtotheworld View Post
Making a pastor perform a same sex wedding is forcing him to advocate for a cause, no?
If a pastor is all he was, this argument may have traction, but his church is a business. Advocating for something and serving something are two distinct things. His service is to preform weddings. As a business man, he can't reject to provide his services to those protected by anti-discriminatory laws. If he was just a pastor at a regular church, he couldn't be forced to do it, but since he's more of a business man, he can.

Old 10-20-2014, 02:29 PM

6,414 posts, read 10,492,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace_TX View Post
just like the cake fiasco

if someone doesnt like money then go to a gay friendly place, find a nice gay minister to perform the nuptuals

why give money to people that dont want to serve you

its so simple

me personally running a business all i see is green money, flaming gays lbgt whoever can give me their money
Should black people have just gone to businesses that catered to them and ignored the ones that chose to discriminate? Why do people want to use their religion to discriminate? Keep your religion where it belongs and I see no way that religion is in play when operating ones business. You cannot use your religion to discriminate against Jews or blacks or any other protected class of people when you operate a business open to the public, why should they be allowed to discriminate against gays? It is so simple, open and run a business open to the public, then operate by the same laws as one would with all people. If you cannot leave your religion at home when you deal with the public, then maybe you should not be open to the public.

Old 10-20-2014, 02:34 PM

6,414 posts, read 10,492,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve40th View Post
Pedophilia is next legal hurdle lbgt wants. Just wait. Tolerance nation. Next man boy love Thursdays that Muslims enjoy in ME
Why bring that up? That is not the goal of gays or lesbians. It is LGBT, not LGBTP. pedophiles are criminals, it is not a sexual orientation and children are not participants, they are victims. Stupid slippery slope that only those with the intent to defame gays use. Give it up.

Old 10-20-2014, 02:37 PM

3,124 posts, read 2,069,617 times
Things will get very interesting when Gays start using Muslim-owned businesses for lawsuit target practice.

Old 10-20-2014, 02:37 PM

46,951 posts, read 25,990,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
It does not matter if you understand it or not, someone tried and when they were refused service the lawsuit was filled, as is their right to do.
That is assuming a same-sex couple actually tried and was turned down, because this entire story stinks to high heaven, if you'll pardon the expression.

For-Profit Wedding Chapel Sues After Idaho Legalizes Same-Sex Marriage | ThinkProgress

The anti-LGBT organization ADF - who are running this show - just recently (as in this month) helped the Knapps restructure their business to make it way more religious, including an entirely new Operating Agreement, making their religious values part of their business. What a coincidence!

The Knapps' website used to advertise a "traditional or civil ceremony" and that they'd "perform wedding ceremonies of other faiths as well as ceremonies". Now they've scrubbed their website to appear oh-so-Christian, so they can take on the mantle of Dedicated Victim. Civil ceremony? Nuh-uh.

The kicker:Their suit just happens to ask for “nominal and compensatory damages”. There's a ton of free publicity and perhaps a nice payday at the taxpayers' expense at the core of this. The carpenter's son would have been so proud.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies