Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2014, 01:08 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,703,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
The couple said city officials issued the threats. Read the article.

So I have a question for you, not as a matter of law but common sense: what gay couple would want to be married by people who don't like them? It sounds like, other than to prove a point, make them mad and shove it in their face, there is no real reason. This behavior doesn't sound like the type of thing that changes hearts and minds.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Maybe people should quit trying to force others to do what they don't want to do because of their right to have their own feelings and thoughts about an issue?

I wouldn't want anyone to perform my Marriage Ceremony if I knew they did not believe in my Marriage.
I'm sure there are numerous other places that would marry this couple without issue and it would be a joyous celebration not a forced performance.
What part of "it is a business" do people not understand?

If I go to Dillard's, for example, and my purchases are rung up by someone who doesn't like people with brown eyes, do I care? No.
I am not going into that establishment to make friends with the people that work there.
I am going there to have that business provide me with a service - the service that they are in business to provide.

This establishment provides a service to people who want to get married. The customers are not going in there to be preached to nor are they going to meet people that they would hope would become life-long friends.

When you take your car to the shop, do you care who works on it as long as the person is qualified to do so?

Old 10-20-2014, 01:13 PM

8,061 posts, read 4,885,782 times
Default Your Right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by revrandy View Post
Let me repeat it for you. IT IS NOT A CHURCH, it is a for profit business.
If they have Christian Values and follow the Word of God , yes they can refuse on . Moral ground.

But you may be correct if this is a profitable business. This Chapel makes money on Wedding Service and Space. Now we are talking about Meeting space and catering.

Its anther matter.

Old 10-20-2014, 01:14 PM

22,190 posts, read 19,462,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
Because I don't understand what gay couple would want to get married there, or conduct business at any business that hates them. That's what I don't grasp.

In this particular case convience likely has quite a bit to do with it, considering the location and how close it is to the clerk's office. With that being said, why or why not someone would do so isn't the issue. The issues is a business has certain rules it must follow, this particular business is not following them.

Old 10-20-2014, 01:15 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,898,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
It does not matter if you understand it or not, someone tried and when they were refused service the lawsuit was filled, as is their right to do.
OK. You asked me why it was hard to grasp, so I answered.

Old 10-20-2014, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
In this particular case convience likely has quite a bit to do with it, considering the location and how close it is to the clerk's office. With that being said, why or why not someone would do so isn't the issue. The issues is a business has certain rules it must follow, this particular business is not following them.
I happen to disagree. I think it's something that's worth discussing: gay couples utilizing anti-gay businesses. It's ironic that they want to boycott Chick Fil-A which actually serves all people and follows the law versus actual anti-gay businesses who they apparently want to conduct business with despite the owners' views.

Old 10-20-2014, 01:23 PM

2,287 posts, read 2,588,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GHOSTRIDER AZ View Post

But you may be correct if this is a profitable business. This Chapel makes money on Wedding Service and Space. Now we are talking about Meeting space and catering.

Its anther matter.
They are a for-profit business that happens to conduct weddings, so in essence we are talking about a meeting space, not a chapel.

Old 10-20-2014, 01:24 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
Probably best to have a JP on the roster.

Old 10-20-2014, 01:26 PM

4,798 posts, read 3,508,949 times
Good God people. If the pastor doesnt want to perform it, why would you want to force him to? LIVS/LIBS/LBGT are so frickin stupid.
I tell you what, I will perform the ceremony for them. I will make it so memorable they will never forget it. Worth every penny they pay me. It would be the talk of the country when I get done, and they will realize how fubar'd gay, same sex marriage is. GAY, Just Gay.
There are some dumb azz people in this country. Wah frick'n Wah..

Old 10-20-2014, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve40th View Post
Good God people. If the pastor doesnt want to perform it, why would you want to force him to? LIVS/LIBS/LBGT are so frickin stupid.
I tell you what, I will perform the ceremony for them. I will make it so memorable they will never forget it. Worth every penny they pay me. It would be the talk of the country when I get done, and they will realize how fubar'd gay, same sex marriage is. GAY, Just Gay.

Old 10-20-2014, 01:36 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,938,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve40th View Post
Translation: :c rying:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies