Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2014, 11:43 AM

56,989 posts, read 35,168,788 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by muleskinner View Post
That is why I have had certain people on ignore for forever and a day
I don't believe in using ignore....but I can understand.

I wanna read everyone's posts no matter how lame they are. It reinforces how sane I am and how nutty they are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2014, 11:45 AM

2,593 posts, read 4,236,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Compare and contrast with the maximize-our-profit-at all-cost operators, who are, in a very real sense, leeches. They would of course very much like for other companies' employees to have money to spend, but they will be damned if they're going to let their own employees have more than the absolute minimum. So when a company like Wal-Mart sees a 21% drop in profits, it's really their own management philosophy biting them: People with low pay just don't have a lot of money to spend. And when enough companies adopt Wal-Mart's philosophy of low pay, well - then everybody suffers.
Yeah & I can't stand their attitude of "Let 'em (our employees) get on the dole! Uncle Sam can help take care of their groceries, housing, and healthcare."

Old 10-22-2014, 11:47 AM

3,445 posts, read 6,061,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muleskinner View Post
We use QT as often as we can and do our food shopping at Kroger for the same reason.

Kroger pays their employees a living wage in this area,401k plans etc and their food prices are very competitive with Wally world super stores(which this area is lousy with).

You can shop anywhere you want to make a statement but I make the only statement important to me...I want to pay the cheapest for what I buy and to hell with the employees. They aren't my problem.

Old 10-22-2014, 11:51 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,365,858 times
the dream of the unskilled fast food worker $70k and a full benefits package and no additional upgrade of skilled required.

Old 10-22-2014, 12:04 PM

56,989 posts, read 35,168,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 30to66at55 View Post
You can shop anywhere you want to make a statement but I make the only statement important to me...I want to pay the cheapest for what I buy and to hell with the employees. They aren't my problem.
Nope...until they get on welfare.

But since you probably pay no taxes, that's none of your concern, is it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
the dream of the unskilled fast food worker $70k and a full benefits package and no additional upgrade of skilled required.
The company upgrades their skill.

Why you mad? Are they using your money?

Old 10-22-2014, 12:16 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,829,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
Do not UPS drivers make in that range?

UPS Driver Salary | Glassdoor

Old 10-22-2014, 12:17 PM

11,078 posts, read 15,071,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
I don't believe in using ignore....but I can understand.

I wanna read everyone's posts no matter how lame they are. It reinforces how sane I am and how nutty they are.
Good outlook...I just can deal with only so many extremist rw or lw posts/threads in a day myself.

Old 10-22-2014, 12:21 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,912,698 times
Quote:
Man, DON'T pay these conservatives any mind when they come on here with that Financial Darwinism, Gordon Gecko nonsense. They're just spouting off talking points that even they don't believe in.

Trust me...they whine and moan about their pay and benefits just like everyone else...if not more.

Everyone but a few people at this shop are hard right conservatives, and you oughta hear them whining about how greedy corporate (in Virginia) is...and how they're being screwed blah, blah blah...

None..NOT ONE ever says "well...maybe I should improve my skills to make myself more valuable to the company."

Never once heard it...all I hear is b¥tching constantly. And because I'm the PM, they figure that I can do something about it.

Of course, I just let it go in one ear and out the other.
Here's the thing the RWNJs don't want to understand. If EVERYBODY pursued and got "marketable skills", what happens then? The good paying jobs that demand these "marketable skills" become the new low wage job because of the oversupply of labor available. Minimum wage NEEDS to be raised regardless, a rising tide lifts all boats.

Using right-winger logic, it wouldn't work in the long term. It sounds crazy to a right-winger too, they won't understand, but even low wage work needs to be a bit more desirable to work at, otherwise illegal immigrants will fill in that vacuum like they already did for food processing and such.

Hell, according to Gallup, even a majority of Republicans support raising the minimum wage. The RW posters on here are the Breitbart/Limbaugh devotees that are out of step with the majority of Americans

Old 10-22-2014, 12:47 PM

13,925 posts, read 5,612,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
CostCo, Trader Joe's, this QT chain of which I know little - all have sustainable profits and yet manage to pay their employees wages that lets them live without food stamps. What is more, their wage expenses of course turn into revenue for other companies, which is what a well-working economy is supposed to be about.
CostCo is only profitable because they have membership fees, have more high ticket luxury items on a per SKU basis, and fewer employees per sq ft than others. They are also an entirely different retail business than WalMart, with different customers and different store location demographics. CostCO doesn't even drop a store unless the average household disposable income of the immediate surrounding area meets a certain minimum. In other words, they put them in middle/upper class locales, since that's their target market. But pay these minor GLARING details no mind, and keep believing WalMart and CostCo are exactly the same business....ignorance is bliss after all.

Oh btw, with their membership fees being the only reason they turned a profit for 11 of the last 13 years, their current profit margin is 1.98%.

Old 10-22-2014, 12:55 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,068,006 times
Quote:
Yeah...and the more posts I read from your whiney butt, the more of those meds I'mma need to take.

Seriously...you're wearing me out. (Looking for my straightjacket).
I'd need meds if I started a thread to prove retailers can pay more and then argue that wasnt your premace..

Good thing I didnt do that..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies