Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2014, 02:05 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMiller View Post
We were just talking about this at work. It's not uncommon to "friend" an acquaintance from real life who seems normal, and then discover their Facebook wall is a solid mess of hate speech and tasteless humor (which you're now publicly associated with via social media).
Tasteless humor, yes, I've seen that. Someone from my HS class of almost 50 years ago just posted some disgusting sexual crap today. Hate speech? Not so much (for me). Another member of my HS class posts a lot of RW garbage, but every now and then she posts something nice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2014, 02:08 PM

4,873 posts, read 3,600,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FKD19124 View Post
My Aunt, who is in her 60s, lesbian and extremely liberal blocked me over a year ago.
Not heard from her since. No Christmas cards, nothing. Not even a hello to my 7 year old daughter.
I really believe people who are liberal tend to be very immature from my experience.
When I read this, I felt I could see the future. It was a vision of me, reading a post history full of homophobic remarks.

Old 10-21-2014, 02:10 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,335,752 times
That is because Republicans often base their politics are bigotry and prejudice. Those are deal breakers for most liberals. I don't want any friends who are racists or homophobes.

Old 10-21-2014, 02:10 PM

594 posts, read 345,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanhawk View Post
Political Polarization & Media Habits | Pew Research Center's Journalism Project

FTA:By contrast, those with consistently liberal views:
Are more likely than those in other ideological groups to block or “defriend” someone on a social network – as well as to end a personal friendship – because of politics.

One reason I don't talk politics with my liberal friends and coworkers.
I don't doubt it. Liberals have a stereotype for conservatives, which lables conservatives as racists, bigots, oppresive, and pretty much view cons as all that is evil.

The stereotype cons have for libs, is that they are gullible, naive, easily manipulated, sycophants to government, and run on pure, confused emotion. Conservative's stereotype for libs is not one that hate libs, but the stereotype libs have for cons is one that brreds hate for cons

Old 10-21-2014, 02:11 PM

12,638 posts, read 8,952,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleidd View Post
I don't doubt it. Liberals have a stereotype for conservatives, which lables conservatives as racists, bigots, oppresive, and pretty much view cons as all that is evil.

The stereotype cons have for libs, is that they are gullible,, naive, easily manipulated, sycophants to government, and run on pure, confused emotion. Conservative's stereotype for libs is not one that hate libs, but the stereotype libs have for cons is one that brreds hate for cons
Exactly right. Just read the post above yours. It proves your hypothesis.

Old 10-21-2014, 02:14 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,951,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanhawk View Post
Political Polarization & Media Habits | Pew Research Center's Journalism Project

FTA:By contrast, those with consistently liberal views:
Are more likely than those in other ideological groups to block or “defriend†someone on a social network – as well as to end a personal friendship – because of politics.

One reason I don't talk politics with my liberal friends and coworkers.

Exactly! I have seen it happen on several occasions. Liberals can't stand anyone with a view opposite from them.

Old 10-21-2014, 02:20 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,335,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
Exactly! I have seen it happen on several occasions. Liberals can't stand anyone with a view opposite from them.
If it revolves around bigotry or racism then no, I can't. I don't care what your fiscal views are.

Old 10-21-2014, 02:23 PM

2,240 posts, read 1,386,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I am not big into Facebook, but I can tell you that although I have many friends from both sides of the isle (mostly conservative), it is only the conservative ones who flood Facebook with political spam and propaganda. I have not defriended anyone for it, but it is quite annoying. When "W" was in the WH I do remember the liberal ones post anti-Bush cartoons and such humor, but no propaganda.
My experience is just the opposite. But I would never unfriend or block these people who are personal friends. I just skip some of their posts. Never respond.

How can you say it is only republicans who post spam and propaganda? Have you seen every single post on Facebook? Maybe it's that way on your feed, but not everyone's.

Old 10-21-2014, 02:30 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,356,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CravingMountains View Post
That is because Republicans often base their politics are bigotry and prejudice. Those are deal breakers for most liberals. I don't want any friends who are racists or homophobes.

There is plenty of racism from the left. It is not necessarily a deal breaker for me. I am willing to forgive the bad, and celebrate the good.
why I can't help but admire Oprah Winfrey.

Old 10-21-2014, 02:39 PM

78,385 posts, read 60,566,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CravingMountains View Post
If it revolves around bigotry or racism then no, I can't. I don't care what your fiscal views are.
What kind of bigotry are we talking about here? Bigotry vs. gays and minorities or one of the acceptable kind vs. christians?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies