Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2014, 10:59 PM

6,354 posts, read 3,652,271 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Oh please, that is just not true about black neighborhoods. None of them aspire to be a pimp or drug dealer
Pro basketball player Lamar Odom says "We don't have any icons or idols to look up to, just rappers and professional athletes. Before us, it was pimps and drug dealers."
ESPN.com: Page 2 : Odom seeks reason to smile

""Professional basketball player" reigns as the top answer when young black boys are asked what they want to be when they grow up." "A close second is being a rapper."
https://www.nationalcenter.org/P21NV...ccess1003.html

And According to Lamar Odom before basketball players and rappers were a black child's dream occupation, it was drug dealers and pimps.

But it was about 20 years ago when I heard about some black children saying that.

Have a nice night/day,
Chad.

Last edited by chad3; 10-22-2014 at 11:26 PM..

Old 10-22-2014, 11:25 PM

6,354 posts, read 3,652,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek64 View Post

Unfortunately racism I think will be always around and it's dished out by all groups. There are no boundaries/one way streets. Certainly hard to control what others think/don't think towards others. I figure being a good person in life, treat others with respect, and that's all I can do. If someone doesn't like me for something about me that I can't control, that's their problem. Just another way to look at it I suppose. Can't control the uncontrollable.
Your sources really showed me that. I remember recently in this forum a black forum member speaking about racism from certain types of black people to other types of black people.

Its white racism against the Irish to the point of slavery and unpunished murder. Racism from Germans to Jews to the point of death camps. Arab on Arab racism to the point of war. And even black on black racism.

This brings to mind my mother being from Germany. There are 2 Jewish girls I have known for the last 22 years. One night about 20 years ago those 2 girls and another friend of mine were talking about WWII. I remember looking at the 2 of them and thinking they look white, and I can't even tell they are Jewish.

The thought of Germans killing people like those 2 girls, is infinitely insane, infinitely evil, infinitely unimaginable, and infinitely horrific. You would think Satan himself could only make people do such things.

All I can say is racism is insanity (and a disease.)

Chad.

Old 10-22-2014, 11:33 PM

7,528 posts, read 11,358,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post

Oh please, that is just not true about black neighborhoods. None of them aspire to be a pimp or drug dealer
Black communities can vary. So it can depend on the community.

Old 10-23-2014, 02:44 AM

8,391 posts, read 6,294,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
Any theories?
The problem of course is that it's worse than that stat even shows.

Here is how bad the problem is the department of labor produces an unemployment chart going back to 1972. The norm unemployment rate for black Americans since the early 1970's is over 10%. Meaning Black Americans as a group are constantly facing a bad recession level of unemployment.

It's even worse than that when unemployment is broken down by education, there is a consistent black American white people disparity at every level of education.

Meaning the unemployment rate for black college grads with 4year or advanced degrees is 5.7% and for white 3.5%. A huge gap that puts the black unemployment rate 1.6times higher.

For black college grads with two year degrees the unemployment rate is 8.5% for white it's 4.9%. Meaning white people with two year degrees have a significantly lower unemployment rate than black people with four yr or advanced degrees

For black high school grads with some college the unemployment rate is 9.8% for white it's 6.1%. Look at the stats black people with 4yr or advanced college degrees have a closer unemployment rate to white high school grads with some college than they do to white people with two year degrees. Also white people who just graduated high school with some college have a hugely lower unemployment rate than black Americans with two year degrees.

Black high school grads no college unemployment rate of 10.6% white 6.6%.

Notice again how black Americans with two year degrees and black high school grads with some college have much much higher unemployment rates than just white high school grads with no college.

Finally black high school dropouts have an unemployment rate of 20.6% for white it's 9.7%. This a gapping huge disparity.

Notice that white high school dropouts have a lower unemployment than black high school grads with some college and black high school grads with no college.

So what those stats prove is racism and white skin privilege.
There is no way it can end up across the board black Americans no matter their level of education face these huge disparities with similarly educated white people.

Old 10-23-2014, 02:57 AM

8,391 posts, read 6,294,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
Any theories?
Sadly these stats will be met with the racial narrative that black people are to blame. The black race is the problem.

This kind of thinking is very old and extremely racist and wrong.

Whenever racial disparities exist the racist narrative I s to blame and portray the black race as the source and cause of the problem and basically for many many Americans racism isn't the problem even though it clearly is, nah it's the black race that's the cause.

The stats show such huge disparities that to believe that anything other than racism is the cause of those disparities takes one down the road of explaining what black Americans with two degrees collectively lack that causes them to have a much higher unemployment rate than white high school grads with some college and white high school grads with no college.

It will lead one down the road to explain what black high school grads with some college and black high school grads with no college collectively lack that leads them to have a higher unemployment rate than white high school dropouts.

That's the only way this type discussion goes down.

The people who can look at history and reality and say oh yeah black Americans unedited systematic racial discrimination when seeking employment.

Or the people who believe that the black race is the cause of the problem.

Old 10-23-2014, 03:54 AM

12,954 posts, read 13,665,225 times
Interesting so many responses to a question in economic theory are not based in economics but sociology. Perhaps therin lies the solution. People who think that telling a young man to pull his pants up and use better English probably never worked in a factory or on an assembly line with a white guy who looks like a skin head with nazi tattoos on his arm who also doesn't use the best English.

IMO black people live clustered in places where there are only so many jobs. Developers want to coral black people in housing near the centers of cities where most of the jobs are for professionals.

Old 10-23-2014, 04:56 AM

495 posts, read 684,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chad3 View Post
Pro basketball player Lamar Odom says "We don't have any icons or idols to look up to, just rappers and professional athletes. Before us, it was pimps and drug dealers."

""Professional basketball player" reigns as the top answer when young black boys are asked what they want to be when they grow up." "A close second is being a rapper."
https://www.nationalcenter.org/P21NV...ccess1003.html

And According to Lamar Odom before basketball players and rappers were a black child's dream occupation, it was drug dealers and pimps.

But it was about 20 years ago when I heard about some black children saying that.

Have a nice night/day,
Chad.
I call B S on this type of excuse. Its not like black people live in an alternate universe with no knowledge of anything outside their neighborhood. This is 2014, even people in the 3rd world have smartphones and internet. There are plenty of black doctors and other black professionals out there to aspire to. When I grew up I never knew any doctors, lawyers, scientists or anyone who was very accomplished. But I still knew that those where jobs to aspire too. Only a retard would use that as an excuse.

To put it bluntly black peoples problem is their culture. A culture that does not value education as much as others. A culture that puts crime and violence on a pedestal over studying and hard work will never progress. Nerd culture has finally been accepted as mainstream but not in the black community. That is a shame because its nerds that end up making the big bucks. And black men baling on women the moment she has a kid is a huge flaw in the culture that puts a damper on progress.

Old 10-23-2014, 05:17 AM

495 posts, read 684,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
Interesting so many responses to a question in economic theory are not based in economics but sociology. Perhaps therin lies the solution. People who think that telling a young man to pull his pants up and use better English probably never worked in a factory or on an assembly line with a white guy who looks like a skin head with nazi tattoos on his arm who also doesn't use the best English.

IMO black people live clustered in places where there are only so many jobs. Developers want to coral black people in housing near the centers of cities where most of the jobs are for professionals.
More B S. No one has to stay in the hood. I know a bunch of black people that have moved to small town America to get out of the bad situation they put themselves in. More often than not they are on parole and need to lay low and stay out of trouble so they set themselves up in a smaller town to avoid temptation. The dude at my last job was in that situation and he said when his parole is up he is moving right back to Chicago. I asked why, because he is doing a lot better out in the sticks. He said its too boring out here. You see, it comes down to a bad decision, like moving back to a gang infested Chicago neighborhood. Small towns are actually cheaper to live in than in poor metro neighborhoods. So too me it still is all about a choice and people in the black culture seem to make a lot of poor ones.

Old 10-23-2014, 05:37 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,042,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwmdk View Post
Do you think this is genetic?

If so, why? If not, then race is probably completely irrelevant.
Not genetic, cultural. Ghetto people see intelligent kids among them as "acting white".

How can you remotely believe that race isn't relevant?

Old 10-23-2014, 06:21 AM

12,954 posts, read 13,665,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordvader44 View Post
More B S. No one has to stay in the hood. I know a bunch of black people that have moved to small town America to get out of the bad situation they put themselves in. More often than not they are on parole and need to lay low and stay out of trouble so they set themselves up in a smaller town to avoid temptation. The dude at my last job was in that situation and he said when his parole is up he is moving right back to Chicago. I asked why, because he is doing a lot better out in the sticks. He said its too boring out here. You see, it comes down to a bad decision, like moving back to a gang infested Chicago neighborhood. Small towns are actually cheaper to live in than in poor metro neighborhoods. So too me it still is all about a choice and people in the black culture seem to make a lot of poor ones.
Okay so 800,000 black people leave Chicago and go where? All those unemployed in Harlan, Ky. would like to know also where they can go. Just more bad sociology to deal with an economic dilemma. No body is talking about gang bangers, excons, baby mama's and daddy's. They are refering to recent black college grads, educated black mothers returning to the work force, mid level professionals , blacks who have white counterparts who seem to do better. So lets despense of the socoiology and try to come up with somthing rooted in economics ,like a good conservative would do.

Last edited by thriftylefty; 10-23-2014 at 06:33 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies