Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2014, 12:35 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,611,558 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMiller View Post
This country was founded on the forcible redistribution of capital from the British Monarchy to the control of the American people. Anti-redistributionist sentiment is anti-American.

What other proof do you need, that after war, there was civility.
The definition of General Welfare from just 40 years after the ratification of the Constitution:
Exemption from any unusual evil or calamity; the enjoyment of peace and prosperity, or the ordinary blessings of society and civil government
(Webster’s American Dictionary of the English Language, 1828).

Nothing about robbing Peter to pay Paul.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2014, 12:54 PM

18,801 posts, read 8,467,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Well of course. It was instituted by an elected President and (I assume) approved by Congress. Despite the rancor of the last decade or so, nobody has seriously proposed doing away with it.

However, if a private individual or company did the same thing, it would likely qualify as a Ponzi Scheme.

Whatever. The real point is that demographics (not evil Republicans) have made it unstable.

We are not going to get rid of it. So why not restructure or transform it into something that works better?
Private individuals and companies are not monetarily sovereign, so they can instigate Ponzis.

SS itself only ends up Ponzi if we the people say so. But because our Gov't is monetarily sovereign, it is not inherently unstable. SS is only 'unstable' when viewed from a conventional balance sheet standpoint. Our demographics make it look worse, but as we are monetarily sovereign it does not have to matter.

Unless we the people say it matters. We can always change it, but changes are always optional. Not mandatory to avert a conventional termination of a Ponzi. If our seniors are getting too rich from SS, and are buying up all the stuff the younger part of our future society desire, then adjustments may need to be made to SS.

SS could wither or end due to a lack of productivity, but should not due to a lack of money.

Old 10-23-2014, 12:56 PM

13,648 posts, read 20,773,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
Private individuals and companies are not monetarily sovereign, so they can instigate Ponzis.

SS itself only ends up Ponzi if we the people say so. But because our Gov't is monetarily sovereign, it is not inherently unstable. SS is only 'unstable' when viewed from a conventional balance sheet standpoint. Our demographics make it look worse, but as we are monetarily sovereign it does not have to matter.

Unless we the people say it matters. We can always change it, but changes are always optional. Not mandatory to avert a conventional termination of a Ponzi. If our seniors are getting too rich from SS, and are buying up all the stuff the younger part of our future society desire, then adjustments may need to be made to SS.

SS could wither or end due to a lack of productivity, but should not due to a lack of money.
You've lost me. Still you were civil, so have a good one.

Old 10-23-2014, 01:12 PM

7,359 posts, read 5,462,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMiller View Post
This country was founded on the forcible redistribution of capital from the British Monarchy to the control of the American people. Anti-redistributionist sentiment is anti-American.
No it wasn't. It was founded on opposing the forcible redistribution of capital from the American people to the British Monarchy. It was founded on the patriots wanting to keep control of what they earned instead of shipping it overseas to England. You had it completely backwards.

The protection of private property was an integral part in the founding philosophy of the nation. It went so far that the original articles of confederation had to be scrapped because they were so rabid in their preservation of local control that the central government proved ineffectual. So quit revising history.

Old 10-23-2014, 01:22 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,611,558 times
Quote:
You've lost me. Still you were civil, so have a good one.

He is saying, if we went back to gold notes instead of counterfeit currency, they would not be able to pay for what they do. It would all end. They would not be able to print notes they could not back. This would make the dollars value, sky rocket. $20 gold piece, would buy $1200 worth of goods, in todays money.

Old 10-23-2014, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
He is saying, if we went back to gold notes instead of counterfeit currency, they would not be able to pay for what they do. It would all end. They would not be able to print notes they could not back. This would make the dollars value, sky rocket. $20 gold piece, would buy $1200 worth of goods, in todays money.
Yes indeed. However, that is not going to happen.

The way I see it is that Social Security was/is very well intentioned. However, it has been clear for more than 20 years that it is living on borrowed time.

Yet people responsed by gnashing their teeth and spinning tales of evil rich Republicans wanting to throw Granny into a poorhouse out Dickens.

How about we fix the damn thing?

Old 10-23-2014, 01:42 PM

18,801 posts, read 8,467,936 times
Quote:
Yes indeed. However, that is not going to happen.

The way I see it is that Social Security was/is very well intentioned. However, it has been clear for more than 20 years that it is living on borrowed time.

Yet people responsed by gnashing their teeth and spinning tales of evil rich Republicans wanting to throw Granny into a poorhouse out Dickens.

How about we fix the damn thing?
It depends on what you want to 'fix'.

Less taxes, fine. More taxes, vote for it.
More payouts, fine. Less payouts vote for it.

Because in the end it is politics NOT money.

And when you can understand that, then you'll know what I said.

If we were stuck on gold, like BentBow said, it would indeed simply be the money.

Old 10-23-2014, 01:50 PM

4,873 posts, read 3,600,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
No it wasn't. It was founded on opposing the forcible redistribution of capital from the American people to the British Monarchy. It was founded on the patriots wanting to keep control of what they earned instead of shipping it overseas to England. You had it completely backwards.

The protection of private property was an integral part in the founding philosophy of the nation. It went so far that the original articles of confederation had to be scrapped because they were so rabid in their preservation of local control that the central government proved ineffectual. So quit revising history.
I think you're confused. America itself belonged to the Crown. The revolutionaries took it by force. According to common conservative principles, the government had every right to charge as rent as much taxes as it wanted for its property. If you believe that property rights supercede personal rights, it's pretty clear who is right and who is wrong.

Old 10-23-2014, 01:51 PM

19,784 posts, read 15,108,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logicist027 View Post
The title says it all. Why should any sensible country engage in a clear ponzi scheme? I can understand compassion, but a forced ponzi scheme doesn't speak to that at all. If you don't want have kids that is fine. However the SS "trust fund" obviously cannot continue to tax a smaller base (less kids) over time and give the same benefits.

Secondly, the idea that buying our own bonds counts as an "investment" is complete nonsense. Would any company in America i.e. Apple, go out and buy its own bonds? The obvious answer is no. The idea that these bonds are, "backed by the full faith and credit of the US" is really nonsense. Basically, we can either tax our citizens into oblivion (for money they already gave), or inflate the money supply into oblivion. Why not change the system?

This is not very smart.

Uh, no.

Old 10-23-2014, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
It depends on what you want to 'fix'.

Less taxes, fine. More taxes, vote for it.
More payouts, fine. Less payouts vote for it.

Because in the end it is politics NOT money.

And when you can understand that, then you'll know what I said.

If we were stuck on gold, like BentBow said, it would indeed simply be the money.
I know what you said. I just cannot get into yet another discussion regarding the Gold Standard, currency and the like. You seem rational, but it will bring the crazies out.

Personally, I would convert it to a compulsory retirement/investment account for every individual. Yes, that jives with my laissez-faire, libertarian outlook. But at the same time, a lot of people are never going to do a damn thing to prepare themselves.

As to the math behind such a conversion, I admit to not running the numbers.

And yes, it is politics. Kind of like illegal immigratin. One party is for it while the other supposedly against. But when push comes to shove, both parties fight tooth and nail to preservey the dysfunctional status quo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies