Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2014, 01:30 PM

Location: "Silicon Valley" (part of San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA)
4,375 posts, read 4,070,027 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
He thinks a firearm is a toy, says all we need to know about the mentality of the post.
No, the reason I said that is that I think some others see it as a toy or a symbol of being a man.

I'm qualified on M-16, M-14, M-9 and 12 ga shotgun. I'm trained in using them aboard the submarine and I stood armed watch topside when the boat was in port. As a civilian -- my honorable discharge was back in 2003 -- I've never had a need a firearm, since I know some martial arts.

Quote:
My 30.06 is under the backseat of my truck, as I type.
My .38 goes back and forth to the house and the truck. It rides in the unzipped soft case, with the handle protruding, in the gap between the seat and center console. Holds it just like a holster. Read when needed.
Why? I can understand if you're a hunter or if you live in a rural area where law enforcement is very far away. But not in, say, New York City, or San Jose.

Quote:
I do not fly, because I cannot take my .38. I drive.
What?!? What is going to happen on a plane that you would need a firearm to defend against? The passengers that defeated the terrorists on the plane on 9/11 proved you don't need one for that. The terrorists were able to crash the plane into the ground because the passengers couldn't break into the cockpit, but again, that's something a firearm wouldn't have helped with.

The person who's truly prepared would be prepared even if they don't have their firearm with them, which for a normal person in a suburban or urban area, is most times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2014, 01:32 PM

Location: "Silicon Valley" (part of San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA)
4,375 posts, read 4,070,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Add Michigan....hunting is a HUGE part of the economy.
Yeah, hunting is different than walking around in an urban or suburban area carrying a firearm with you, especially if you're carrying it openly. There's really no reason to have it with you when there's little to no danger. Obviously if you're hunting you're going to have either a firearm or a bow and arrow or something, but that's different from what we're talking about.

Old 10-27-2014, 01:44 PM

893 posts, read 886,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
You clearly do not know anything about firearms. Which explains your hoplophobia. A firearm is nothing more than a tool. Does a mechanic have just one screw driver? Does a plumper have only one wrench? Then why would a gun owner have only one firearm? I am sure you have heard the idiom, "the right tool for the right job."
Yep. Lot's of hand wringers here. LOL.

I'd rather have a gun and not need it than need a gun and not have it.

I now carry just about each time I am out and about. It's really no different than a person carrying a rape whistle or mace or sharp object on their key chain.

How horrible would I feel if my wife or some other person were assaulted/robbed and I had no way of protecting them? Sorry, I would rather err on the side of being prepared.

What's funny is, hardly anyone I know or come across daily realizes that I am carrying.

Those of you making scared statements about gun have no idea how many guns you actually walk by on a daily basis.

Old 10-27-2014, 02:17 PM

10,752 posts, read 5,672,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neutrino78x View Post
They don't, the police do that, but you also don't need to carry a firearm around for that. You can keep it locked away at home like a responsible gun owner would do. If someone pointed a gun at me demanding my wallet, they would have to be close enough to take my wallet, which means I would attempt to give it to them and see if they go away. If they still don't, then I would push the gun aside and defeat them using Taekwondo. I studied it in high school for two years, and I used it outside of the studio against bullies (the bullies were not subject to UFC rules or the rules of sparring in martial arts). I don't need a firearm to defend myself. There are those who do, and that's what the 2nd Amendment individual right to bear arms is for.

I know some will argue about tyrannical government or whatever, but this 2014. Unless you're prepared to say that individual civilians should be allowed to have nuclear weapons, the 2nd Amendment is about self defense.
It's been pointed out in this thread already, but the police DON'T do that.

As far as the rest of your post, it is apparent that you have little understanding of actual street violence. Rest easy in your delusions of using TKD against armed criminals. I will continue to tkae steps to keep myself armed.

Old 10-27-2014, 05:03 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,842,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
We get e-mails and phone calls many times a year......wanting my husband to bring his rifles to Canada......and spend money.
I'm not talking about rifles necessarily. I'm talking about carrying any firearms. Even in a strong hunting country like Canada where many people own rifles, NO ONE carries. It's technically legal in rare circumstances, but rarely allowed. And most Canadians consider it totally unnecessary to carry weapons.

Old 10-27-2014, 05:10 PM

9,138 posts, read 5,803,654 times
Quote:
Another great thing is that you don't need a firearm on US soil in peacetime.

That's because people like me are protecting US soil so you don't have to carry a firearm. USN 1999 to 2003, USS Florida SSBN-728 and USS Asheville SSN-758.

You're welcome for your freedom. Now please leave your toys at home.

Who appointed you to tell me what I "need?"

Old 10-27-2014, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Another great thing is that you don't need a firearm on US soil in peacetime.

That's because people like me are protecting US soil so you don't have to carry a firearm. USN 1999 to 2003, USS Florida SSBN-728 and USS Asheville SSN-758.

You're welcome for your freedom. Now please leave your toys at home.

Good post.

Yeah, I sometimes wonder about people who feel the need to carry weapons everywhere. If they're so concerned about public/national safety and defense, why don't they join the military and fight on the front lines? I believe the OP is/was in the military, so at least she isn't all talk. I respect that.

Old 10-27-2014, 05:18 PM

10,752 posts, read 5,672,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
Good post.

Yeah, I sometimes wonder about people who feel the need to carry weapons everywhere. If they're so concerned about public/national safety and defense, why don't they join the military and fight on the front lines? I believe the OP is/was in the military, so at least she isn't all talk. I respect that.
Seriously? If someone wants to take steps to protect themselves from random street violence, your suggestion is to join the military instead? It may come as a surprise to you, but those two things aren't related at all.

Old 10-27-2014, 05:27 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
It's been pointed out in this thread already, but the police DON'T do that.

As far as the rest of your post, it is apparent that you have little understanding of actual street violence. Rest easy in your delusions of using TKD against armed criminals. I will continue to tkae steps to keep myself armed.

This is a minor child, raised in San Francisco, that we are discussing fundamental rights with.
A mature adult couldn't be this ignorant.

Mr. Karate kid, isn't wise enough to understand, it takes a good guy with a gun, to stop a bad guy with a gun.

Last edited by BentBow; 10-27-2014 at 05:44 PM..

Old 10-27-2014, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
Seriously? If someone wants to take steps to protect themselves from random street violence, your suggestion is to join the military instead? It may come as a surprise to you, but those two things aren't related at all.
Random violence happens in every country on the planet, but not everyone feels the need to carry firearms.

My point is that some of you are so concerned about your "rights" as Americans, and you seem to spend inordinate amounts of time fretting over your rights being "taken away."

Perhaps if you expended some of that energy defending your country alongside men and women who need your help fighting real, immediate danger, you wouldn't spend so much time worrying about "what could happen" at home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies