Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2014, 05:49 PM

Location: "Silicon Valley" (part of San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA)
4,375 posts, read 4,070,027 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofur View Post
why do guns make you uncomfortable? It's just a hunk of metal. Unless the person holding it is untrustworthy, whats the issue?
That's the problem, the person carrying it. US Naval Officer is one thing, some gun nut is quite another.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2014, 06:04 PM

4,856 posts, read 5,823,013 times
I own a gun, I'm allowed to own one, so I do. There isn't one thing wrong with owning one or multiple, or carryng one when such local laws allow you to do so. I hope I never have to use it, and when words, and fist fail, I prefer to use my knife anyway. The problem is all these "men," who lack honor, don't know what a fair fight is, or fighting in general. I can be pretty violent, but I prefer civil cinfrentation, I don't like to raise my voife, and would rather have a quiet discussion, than a loud argument. Too many ignorate people are blind to this concept, though, quick to be lazy, and fearfull they might get beat, and draw a gun, if they do wanna fight, the whole pittiful crew must be fought. Too many fools(most around my age) want to start something for no reason. When I get my ccw, I will be carrying, because I can, and because nobody has any true honor.

I'd rather get beat up by ONE person, than shot with one bullet. Call it paranoid all you want to, I don't want to use my gun, I shouldn't feel the need to carry it, just like I shouldn't be shot at because my bicycle is blue, or because I decidd to just be outside, or there is somee sort of beef as trivial as some sort of retort from myself. Matter of fact, I shouldn't need to even carry a knife for anything other than utility purposes.

Personally, I think if gun laws are made more strict, then melee weapons should be free to carry, you can learn to shoot in a day, melee weapons take a while to learn. Google these items, seriously, humor me about the issues this city has; Louisville Gangs, Louisville Mob, and Louisville Purge. My favorite is the gang of middle school kids who have robbed a gun train. With police killing unarmed people, my trust rwally isn't being enforced with them either, I've already had one try and run me off the road on my bicycle.

Old 10-26-2014, 06:10 PM

Location: "Silicon Valley" (part of San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA)
4,375 posts, read 4,070,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxRhapsody View Post
I own a gun, I'm allowed to own one, so I do.
Well, you're not allowed to own a fully automatic rifle manufactured after 1987, or various other weapons. But yes, certain types of firearms you are allowed to own, because of the 2nd Amendment individual right to self defense, I agree.

Having said that, a civilian living on US soil in peace time has no need to carry a gun, so generally speaking, someone who carries one in an urban setting -- where there are other people called police officers whose job it is to carry a gun -- is probably untrustworthy and threatening, in my opinion.

Old 10-26-2014, 06:51 PM

10,752 posts, read 5,672,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxRhapsody View Post
I own a gun, I'm allowed to own one, so I do. There isn't one thing wrong with owning one or multiple, or carryng one when such local laws allow you to do so. I hope I never have to use it, and when words, and fist fail, I prefer to use my knife anyway. The problem is all these "men," who lack honor, don't know what a fair fight is, or fighting in general. I can be pretty violent, but I prefer civil cinfrentation, I don't like to raise my voife, and would rather have a quiet discussion, than a loud argument. Too many ignorate people are blind to this concept, though, quick to be lazy, and fearfull they might get beat, and draw a gun, if they do wanna fight, the whole pittiful crew must be fought. Too many fools(most around my age) want to start something for no reason. When I get my ccw, I will be carrying, because I can, and because nobody has any true honor.

I'd rather get beat up by ONE person, than shot with one bullet. Call it paranoid all you want to, I don't want to use my gun, I shouldn't feel the need to carry it, just like I shouldn't be shot at because my bicycle is blue, or because I decidd to just be outside, or there is somee sort of beef as trivial as some sort of retort from myself. Matter of fact, I shouldn't need to even carry a knife for anything other than utility purposes.

Personally, I think if gun laws are made more strict, then melee weapons should be free to carry, you can learn to shoot in a day, melee weapons take a while to learn. Google these items, seriously, humor me about the issues this city has; Louisville Gangs, Louisville Mob, and Louisville Purge. My favorite is the gang of middle school kids who have robbed a gun train. With police killing unarmed people, my trust rwally isn't being enforced with them either, I've already had one try and run me off the road on my bicycle.
A fight between kids in the playground can result in a bloody nose or a black eye. A street fight between grown males can easily result in disfigurement or death.

Old 10-26-2014, 06:54 PM

10,752 posts, read 5,672,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neutrino78x View Post
Well, you're not allowed to own a fully automatic rifle manufactured after 1987, or various other weapons. But yes, certain types of firearms you are allowed to own, because of the 2nd Amendment individual right to self defense, I agree.

Having said that, a civilian living on US soil in peace time has no need to carry a gun, so generally speaking, someone who carries one in an urban setting -- where there are other people called police officers whose job it is to carry a gun -- is probably untrustworthy and threatening, in my opinion.
That you are able to make that decision for yourself is one of the great things about living in the United States. That you would try to make that decision for others is the height of arrogance.

Old 10-26-2014, 07:06 PM

Quote:

First of all; I didn't specify any gun, at all, so that was out of context. I know what weapons I can and cannot own, and in Kentucky, there are many weapons you can. I can walk around with any of my swords as long as its peace tied or has some other resteaint that makes it harder to go anime ninja with. Aside from the seond ammendmentnpart, none of that has anything to do with what I said. I said I'm free to own a gun, in the generic sense of the word, I did not specify a fully auto sniper frifle, a multi grenade launcher, I did not say I tow a howitzer everywhere with my bike. I didn't even say what kinda gun I have.

Secondly; I gave several reasons why I want to carry, even if you skimmed my post you had to see that big part about being shot for trivial nonsense. If gangs of children with who knows what stolen from a gun train is not good enough, I laugh at you. Not everybody puts all their faith and trust in to police, especially when someone can unload six clips in to you with four guns before a cop even shows up. Your problem is you think the system works perfectly, average I've seen for response time is about 15minutes, but normally from my experience is no faster than 30. If someone has went through the training, and all needed for a ccdw, I don't see how they can be untrustworthy and threatening. this ain't the wild west, no one wants a prison sentence because you want to preach about how no one but cops should carry guns. What about sexurity guards, are they threatening and untrustworthy, they might not be cops, but I'm sure they'll take a bullet and unload a few for your sorry self because you wanted to go to the bank on the wrong day.

Judging someone for lehally carrying a gun to me is just some form of prejudice If it came off as rude, I'm sorry, but there are reasons to carry a gun, why it's legal, and a few reasons any non police person can do so. Most of them ain't just itchin to use it either.

Old 10-26-2014, 07:06 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,684,015 times
I have a concealed carry permit, but I rarely carry. It's mostly just a convenience for going to the range, so I don't have to worry about how I carry the gun. I always carry a sidearm in the woods. In fact, I bought my first handgun because I am a mushroom hunter. I got tired of putting down wounded deer with a dull mushroom knife after some hunter was too lazy to track an animal after he shot it.

BTW, I have no idea what a USP is. Some sort of pistol, I presume.

Old 10-26-2014, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
A fight between kids in the playground can result in a bloody nose or a black eye. A street fight between grown males can easily result in disfigurement or death.
True, you have a point, you can be beat to death, your right. But you have a chance of winning when two men square up like men should. Bare hands combat is always 50/50, I don't know one real person aside from maybe a few 90 year old tebetan monks who can fight a bullet. Which is my whole point,

Old 10-26-2014, 07:59 PM

23,652 posts, read 13,992,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
.........BTW, I have no idea what a USP is. Some sort of pistol, I presume.
Heckler & Koch USP - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The thing is, from my CHL instructor to the cop who asked me what I carried when I was carrying (he stopped me for a tail light being out), saying "USP" said it all.

Old 10-26-2014, 08:47 PM

2,183 posts, read 2,638,305 times
Quote:
That's the problem, the person carrying it. US Naval Officer is one thing, some gun nut is quite another.
Wow okay, you obviously live a very sheltered life. The vast majority of gun owners aren't "gun nuts". They're just smart, everyday people who are in touch with the reality of their surroundings. Plus it's a social responsibility, crime has been steadily declining as concealed carry has spread across the nation. It is a strong deterrent, criminals don't like the possibility of being shot, they like defenseless prey.

If even one person in the front half of that movie theater in CO was carrying, a bunch of lives could have been saved. Everyone assumed they were safe, that it wouldn't happen to them, and as a result many more people were hurt then there should have been.

I guarantee you there are many people in your entire social circle that own guns/carry that you don't know about. Depending on what state you live in, you could easily be around armed citizens every single day. Statistically speaking concealed carry permit holders don't commit crimes, like at all. It's super rare, they are actually the most upstanding citizens. Go ask a cop what he thinks, the majority of them like citizens who carry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies