Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2014, 02:50 PM

39,208 posts, read 27,575,665 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
No he didn't say that
This is what he said in context:
yeah so? whatever he said, I agree. your point? man I remembered him wrong. what a crime.

I say it then "anybody who are anti troops are bad people." Happy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2014, 02:55 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,377,473 times
Quote:
No he didn't say that
This is what he said in context:
Aren't we splitting hairs?

He is saying that no one hates the troops, lets face it, he is wrong, just read some of the posts on this thread.

Old 10-28-2014, 03:52 PM

7,214 posts, read 9,390,397 times
I appreciate our military and all who serve, but I dislike the "hero worship" culture that has come up into our nation, especially over the last 15 years or so. The constant "thank you for your service" stuff you hear on the radio, all the "support our troops" fundraisers, etc. It seems over the top and plays into the ideals of the military-industrial complex.

Old 10-29-2014, 05:11 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post
I appreciate our military and all who serve, but I dislike the "hero worship" culture that has come up into our nation, especially over the last 15 years or so. The constant "thank you for your service" stuff you hear on the radio, all the "support our troops" fundraisers, etc. It seems over the top and plays into the ideals of the military-industrial complex.
Aren't you forgetting how our country used to treat our military? Do you remember WW2 or the Korean war? In fact for a good part of my life anyway, we didn't have to remind people to support our troops. it was the American way. Do you feel the same about the constant reminder to support cancer research or is everywhere during certain times of the year or the ads for donations to St. Jude's or The Shriners?

Old 10-29-2014, 05:21 AM

17,597 posts, read 17,629,777 times
Quote:
We failed to understand the USSR and after liberating Europe from Hitler we handed most it over to Stalin who evetually killed more than Hitler.
Stop patting yourself on the back.
Part of the reason was a soviet spy working with the US president at the time. Believe his name was Alger Hiss and he served FDR at the famous Yalta Conference.

Alger Hiss - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 10-29-2014, 06:24 AM

14,480 posts, read 11,273,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
Look, you are assuming a lot of things not only about me, but also the nature of government and society itself. For instance, in many other countries, there is little to no need for protection of elected officials. That was also true of the America of the past. So why has society changed to the point that there needs to be such vigilance in the protection of what are supposedly "popularly-elected government officials".

It reminds me a bit of how the pope for many years had been driving around in a "popemobile" with bullet-proof glass and plenty of security in tow. Everyone freaked out when the pope started driving around in a vehicle with open sides, and then got out and just walked into the huge crowds.

I like the new pope as a person, and while I don't think "god is protecting him". I think his kindness and humility makes people less eager to do him harm.

I think the same concept can be applied to America. When America was a more peaceful place, our politicians didn't need so much protection. There is a direct relationship between our increasing aggressiveness as a society and the need to protect our elected officials.

Basically, I think if American politicians, the American people, and our American policies weren't so dickish, your son's job wouldn't even be necessary. But since you continue to support an international agenda that makes large swaths of the world hate us, then your son's job will always be necessary.
You could not possibly be more incorrect. They didn't need want protection and they paid for it with their lives:

List of assassinated American politicians - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Being a politician in this country has always been a bit of a risk.

Btw same goes for Europe:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ions_in_Europe

Last edited by Mr. Joshua; 10-29-2014 at 06:34 AM..

Old 10-29-2014, 06:42 AM

14,480 posts, read 11,273,359 times
Quote:
Are you listening to the "Thank You For Your Service" Channel on Sirius?

Old 10-29-2014, 08:46 AM

39,208 posts, read 27,575,665 times
Quote:
I haven't seen "thank you for your service" stuff here, maybe I am in California. People here do not care. The pro military folks are normally people who have loved ones served or are currently serving in the military. We have bumper sticker "support our troops" to cheer us up because nobody else really cares. Let me tell you, nobody said ONE thing to my brother when he was in the Marine Corps. They could care less he served or not.

If the store offers a 10% military discount, the store becomes "military worshiper".

Let's all have a reality check please.

Old 10-29-2014, 08:53 AM

5,301 posts, read 2,352,808 times
I haven't read every post so forgive me if I'm repeating what anyone else said...but I think it's wrong to support the military if they do anything other than self-defense. Obviously politicians are to blame for starting wars, but you're guilty by association if you sign up to take those orders.

Old 10-29-2014, 08:59 AM

20,868 posts, read 23,537,374 times
I like the military and even work with them. What I dislike is the blind worshipping of the military, the politicians who control them, and the wasteful spending by said politicians towards the military.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies