Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2014, 12:01 PM

893 posts, read 882,545 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
Most of the posts from "the right" contain ad hominems... case in point.

If Fox News is so "fair and balanced," why are their viewers so misinformed?

Heck, my co-worker today said Earthquakes in Oklahoma because of fracking is "liberal propaganda," along with climate change. He's irrationally angry and resorts to calling anything he doesn't understand as "liberal bull****." (He has a regular evening diet of Fox News)

LOL. You are the last person to call out people for a lack of understanding. It's tiring seeing your repeated misinformation on CD.

Regarding this article. A poll of 600 people? That article from 2011 is full of questionable items. You can find a poll stating anything you want to have as a result.

Again, it's obvious that you get zero information outside of your little circle. I've pointed this out over and over again with you.

Old 10-27-2014, 12:02 PM

2,777 posts, read 1,774,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman249 View Post
Yes, that's exactly my point.

Even folks who don't watch Fox News, know everything about it (e.g. shows, anchors) because they have heard about it somewhere else. Say a clip online or Jon Stewart piece ... etc

So this inflates the importance of Fox News.
Well that's quite a theory you've got there.
I wish you luck in proving it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman249 View Post
What? That math is highly questionable. You don't think that there is an intersection between the 2.4M and 100K audiences? Mostly it is the same folks watching different shows at different times.

It would be safe to assume 8% total viewership. An estimate obtained from the article you posted. Why is it so hard for you to understand this very important point?
There probably is an intersection, but that wasn't my point. My point was that the 2.4 million isn't the sum total of Fox News' viewership or influence on the right.

Old 10-27-2014, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
Sheltered in what views?

I'm not going to turn on Fox because I've seen it. Most of the statements are false. There is nothing factual on there for me to consume.

Conservative views are just that.... views. They are a belief system. They are not real. Reality has a well known liberal bias. When is the last time conservatives were proven right about something?
And here we go.

LOL. You have ZERO interest in an alternate view or the other side of arguments. At least you are honest.

This is exactly why you and others like you cannot be trusted. Liberals are the least tolerant group of people in our country.

Old 10-27-2014, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spatula City View Post
Do you need to drink poison to know that it will kill you?

No, you don't drink poison because you trust the people who made it and are telling you that poison will kill you.

So if I told you a story that was true, and then another, longer one that had lies deliberately inserted, the latter would be better because it contains more information?

Sorry, reality doesn't work that way.
Exhibit B for the intolerant left. You get your news from MSNBC and the Daily show and call your views and opinions the news.

Wake up and educate YOURSELF.

I've admitted that I get my information from the right AND THE LEFT. You and opin_yunated have confirmed that you only get your information from the left. PERIOD.

who do you REALLY think is more informed.

Don't answer. We all know

Old 10-27-2014, 12:11 PM

30,421 posts, read 20,233,866 times
Quote:
Pew Studies have shown:

-Conservatives distrust most news sources (are more likely to focus on only a few)
Understandable, since George Soros funds something like 80% of the so-called "Mainstream" Media.
Quote:
-The overwhelming majority of Conservatives prefer Fox News, whereas Liberals prefer CNN and a slightly lower percentage prefer NPR.
Which is why they are so woefully uninformed.
Quote:
-The Fox News audience was found to be overall less informed on issues than people who just guessed the answers to questions. NPR audiences were the best informed.
This depends on what you call "informed." Most Leftists believe the lie about Benghazi being because of an "offensive video," for example, and did not know that the attack was planned, and carried out by an al-Qaeda affiliate, which Fox viewers knew almost immediately.

Most MSM and NPR viewers are not likely to call recent terrorist attacks here in the U.S. "terrorism" but instead, buy into the Administrations claim that they are "Workplace violence" or other excuses ("Loan wolf").

I'm a Fox News viewer. I absolutely know I am better informed than the MSM viewers who post on here, and I know by what they post.

Quote:
Consider the source! Salon??? LOL

Old 10-27-2014, 12:14 PM

30,421 posts, read 20,233,866 times
Quote:
I'm going to guess that you're a conservative, which is why you didn't even bother to read the article and dismissed it purely because it tells you something that you don't want to hear.

This was one of the points made by the author!
No, we already know it's propaganda and a lie.
"Pew discovered that conservatives are consuming a right-wing media full of lies and misinformation."

See? They started out with a lie. Where's the proof that the "right-wing" media is "full of lies and misinformation?" The writer could have offered some examples. The fact that they didn't, means they are engaging in deception, or in other words, it's propaganda.

"[L]iberals are more interested in media that puts facts before ideology."

This is a joke, right? Liberals not interested in ideology? That's like saying a "Progressive" is not really interested in promoting "Progressivism."

"Conservatives are becoming more conservative because of propaganda."

What "propaganda?" Facts please? Where is the proof? What is the propaganda? (see previous entry) To say Liberals are "staying very much checked into reality" is laughable.

"Enter right-wing media, which has a nifty trick of convincing audiences it’s the other guys who are the liars, all while actually being much less trustworthy in reality."

Doesn't this seem a bit self-serving? And what did this article say up front? "Pew discovered that conservatives are consuming a right-wing media full of lies and misinformation."
Yes, yes ... The left would never engage in that "nifty trick."

Pew researchers gave respondents a list of 36 popular media sources and asked how much they trusted each one. Some were liberal, like The Daily Show or ThinkProgress. Some were conservative, like Rush Limbaugh or Fox News. Most of them are fairly straightforward news organizations with no overt political agenda, like NPR, various network news, CNN, and the New York Times.

This is really laugable. "Think Progress," a publication of the "Center for American Progress" which is funded directly by George Soros and his "Open Society Institute." And, "The Daily Show?" Jon Stewart is a comedian, for cryin' out loud!

Oh, of course, NPR has no political agenda. You know this when you listen to NPR
Doesn't matter that it is government funded, and solidly "in the tank" for Leftist, Barack Obama and the Democrats.

Rush Limbaugh, on the other hand, does not present himself as a "media source," but discusses the issues from a conservatives perspective, and he has a rating that is roughly 98.9 percent accurate (I forget the organization that provides the rating service). Of course he derides the Leftists; they deserve it!

Forget the New York Times, it's a discredited source.

Okay, I'm tired of wasting my time on this propaganda thread.

Last edited by nononsenseguy; 10-27-2014 at 12:56 PM..

Old 10-27-2014, 12:17 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,555,881 times
Exibit A for the counterpoint and unaware.

Old 10-27-2014, 12:19 PM

1,706 posts, read 2,427,182 times
Quote:
Well that's quite a theory you've got there.
I wish you luck in proving it.
Why do you keep calling it a theory? The viewership numbers are widely available for each channel and show and used to determine ad revenue. 8-10% viewership for Fox is a widely accepted figure.
Overall, 5% of the adult American population watches both MSNBC and Fox News. That is slightly lower than the percentage who watches both CNN and Fox (8%) or CNN and MSNBC (also 8%).
How Americans Get TV News at Home | Pew Research Center's Journalism Project

Quote:
There probably is an intersection, but that wasn't my point. My point was that the 2.4 million isn't the sum total of Fox News' viewership or influence on the right.
What is the total viewership then? Didn't your link say 8%!

Why is this so hard for you to understand. At it's peak Fox News gets 2M viewers. Jon Stewart get's 2M viewers and by talking about Fox News and showing clips he basically doubles Fox News viewership.

Old 10-27-2014, 12:20 PM

11,011 posts, read 10,986,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iowa4430 View Post
Exhibit B for the intolerant left. You get your news from MSNBC and the Daily show and call your views and opinions the news.

Wake up and educate YOURSELF.

I've admitted that I get my information from the right AND THE LEFT. You and opin_yunated have confirmed that you only get your information from the left. PERIOD.

who do you REALLY think is more informed.

Don't answer. We all know
Interestingly enough. MSNBC actually does have the least amount of news.

Pew Study Finds MSNBC the Most Opinionated Cable News Channel By Far - Forbes

Quote:
A full 85% of the Comcast-owned network’s coverage can be classified as opinion or commentary rather than straight news, according to the authors of the Pew Research Center’s annual State of the News Media report.

CNN and Fox News Channel, meanwhile, fall much closer to a 50/50 distribution, with Fox News skewing somewhat more heavily toward opinion.

Old 10-27-2014, 12:23 PM

69,368 posts, read 63,946,516 times
left throw grammy off a cliff in another ad and then talk about propaganda...

or suggest the other side want children to starve, eat cat food, or old people to be homeless..

Then support ACA saying everyone should have insurance and if you dont support it, you want people to DIE, or go bankrupt, and then ignore the fact that tens of millions wont have insurance.

/thread and story failure
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies